Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP boot problem

Options
  • 26-02-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Lads,

I cant seem to boot in windows, ive tried booting in safe mode, last good config, and all other boot options... but it still petdiestowards the end of the boot. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but a blue screen flashed up very breefly just before it dies

I can get into the recovery console but have no idea what to do next, command prompt never was my forte

There are three things that may have caused this;
    1. I had just ran a app called speed disk (i think) by symantec, its job was to free up space on my HD and move it around so data accessing would be quicker... however it was taking so long that i cancelled it at about 45%. The PC worked fine until the next reboot

2. I just put in another HD, it was set up as a slave. I not sure if it was formatted or anything

3. My HD is really full, there's only about 500MGs left

Your help here would be great guy's, i havent backed up anything as its a new install so i really need to get it working

Thanks again
    MONKi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Does the blue screen last just 2 or three 3 seconds before reboot?
    I had the same issue with XP, it used to generate an output like this:

STOP:C0000218{Registry File Failure}:
    The registry cannot load the hive(file)
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
    or its log or alternate
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Its a corrupted registry.
    Solution here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307545

I then updated to service pack one and that particular XP pickle became a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MONKi

Originally posted by IronMan
    Does the blue screen last just 2 or three 3 seconds before reboot?
    I had the same issue with XP, it used to generate an output like this:

STOP:C0000218{Registry File Failure}:
    The registry cannot load the hive(file)
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
    or its log or alternate
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Its a corrupted registry.
    Solution here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307545

I then updated to service pack one and that particular XP pickle became a thing of the past.

the blue screen flashes up too quicky for me to read the error message, however Ill proceed with the above advice

Thanks mate

Advertisement