Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco 1900 Switch Problems

Options
  • 26-02-2004 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hiya,

I have just bought a Cisco 1900 switch and would like to use the command line feature to manage it. I have heard that only the enterprise version of the software actually includes the command line?

Is this true, and if so where would I be able to download this software from? I have looked on the Cisco website and have had no luck.

Leachus :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Have you tried telnetting to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You can console to those switches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

If you have a "Standard Edition" 1900 switch (It will have a model number with "-A" at the end, like C1912-A), then there is very little that you can configure on it.
    In the console and telnet windows, you will have no access to the "[K] Command Line" menu option.

This is because you have bought a cheaper, lower-featured switch (i.e. no VLAN support etc.) See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v8x/eescg8x/01overv.pdf for details and a comparison.

You can upgrade (at a price) to the -EN version by loading Enterprise Software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

You should be able to configure this switch by command line - you will need to hyperterminal to it - at the very least you will be able to configure the ports as you need.

Open hyperterminal in windows (start ¦ run ¦ type 'hypertrm') give the hypretrm an arbitrary name, choose your connection as com1 (if your console cable is connected to com 1, if not choose com 2). Your console cable is the blue one that should come with the switch.

In hypertrm options you MUST choose the baud rate at 9600 as this is the default baud it communicates on, you can leave the rest of the options at default.

The press enter 3/4 times to start your session

Once you get on to the 'switch>' prompt type 'enable' and then you are into the CLI configuration int/face.

Typing '?' here will then list the commands you need.

Happy switching !!

Advertisement