Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the UTV ping problem

• 26-02-2004 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

UTV: best prices and best services APART from latency

does anyone know why the pings are so bad for clicksilver and if UTV are trying to get them to come down? it's not really a problem, i was just wondering
    on average pings are about 50 while playing AOE2: the conquerors against my friend who's also on clicksilver
    boards gets an average of 57

other than pings i can't complain about UTV at all. quality service. :D

(sorry if this should be in the broadband forum)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cud be because the service is routed thru the uk/england, and this wud be unlikely to change as utv are a uk company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Gonzo
    cud be because the service is routed thru the uk/england, and this wud be unlikely to change as utv are a uk company.
    No, the UTV server is based in Dublin, The Northern Irish one is based in belfast.
    It's basically down to inferior routing, nothing else.

There not really a UK company either, they operate on the island of Ireland, they are based in belfast, but they own radio stations in Cork (96fm), Dublin (Lite) and Limerick (Live FM or something like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

As most will know I have been fairly vocal about pings on clicksilver , and given the other levels of service by UTV I would be inclined to think that there is nothing that UTV can do about it .

When their pings are extremely high they get it sorted , but their adverage pings are always 'higher' than the other two main providers .

The biggest problem that I have with them is this 'no comment' attitude .Then again I can kind of understand it , who in business wants to come out and say that they have no control over a part of a service they are providing .

John .

theres me been vocal again after i promised i would give it up for lent.

On average, UTV's pings are about 10ms higher than eircom's. Two of my friends are n the same exhange as me but with eircom, and when we play Counter-strike together my pings are consistently about 8-12ms higher than theirs, Recently UTV have had a few problems and at times I have seen my latency spiral into three figures, but it hasn't lasted more than a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am not a gamer but UTV's attitude to the ping question baffles me and concerns me too as a Clicksilver subscriber.

As Jonski mentions up above UTV can seem infuriatingly 'passive' by times particularly since Carl vanished.

The pings issues has been raised consistently in the support newgroup by the regular gamers some of whom are very loyal supporters of UTV and in spite of false dawns (such as the recent request for the gamers to submit some info to the newsgroup) there basically has been no response of any consequence to the issue.

This must risk losing those customers who are keen gamers to other ISP's (particularly with the initial 12 month contract period nearing its end) and also losing potential new customers. But there is no real indication that they care. The ping issue has been going on since the introduction of Clicksilver.

Again as Jonski mentions maybe we would all be frightened if we realised how little control UTV actually have over what we are paying for?

Originally posted by dub45
    Again as Jonski mentions maybe we would all be frightened if we realised how little control UTV actually have over what we are paying for?

I think it's well known that energis (or nevada tele as they call their Irish branch), are responsible for pretty much all of UTV's backbone, of course there is no point in complaining to them. Traceroute's confirm that they are responsible for a large part of the slightly higher ping. I honestly don't feel that pings are a huge problem at the moment but UTV's attitude to them is a slightly bigger problem.

Advertisement