Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 1 lan in our college. advice?

Options
  • 05-12-2000 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Yah i know, Q1, but anything other than that takes too much room on the computers. We got a 16 player going but then we also got static from our course co-ordinator, so we stopped, and went to another computer lab.
    But we dont want to get kicked out of college for playing games so i was wondering do ye have any clubs set up in any other colleges or are ye allowed at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Alt-Tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

that or else keep yer finger on the monitor button while yer playing wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

We had those in the first five mins lads, any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Never have your back to the door. Take note on the locations of any emergancy exits and yeah, make use of Alt-Tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

A suggestion would be to set up a gaming society for the collage and make it above-board n stuff? You can even get grants for societies in collages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

But then you would still be trying to use the colleges computers which im sure would not be liked above board or not, also unlike most clubs and societies, the gaming society would meet up every day, whenever they had a free class and for as long as they could. while using the computers for this abuse the other students would not tolerate it, some of them like to study (*******s), or need to have projects in, so i think it would be a no go. however you can give it a try and then if you're successful I would follow in your footsteps, cos Q3 kicks ass, and I wish I didn't have to stop playing it.

What os are you using, ctrl+alt+del always works quite well for me. I'm sure you know all the rest, like sit where lecturers can't see your screen, make sure you always leave your student id at home, stuff like that. by the way I'm in dundalk it, and we are most definitely not allowed to play, but like yourselves we do. Man I wish I could set up a games society.

Yer telling me common sense stuff, what i want to know is have any of ye such a club in yer collages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hi,
    to the best of my knowledge DCU have a network gamers club in their university. We are going to try and start one up in RCSI (Surgeons) in January.. hope this helps.
    Memnoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

DCU dont have a network gamers society.
    nor will we ever have one.. its been discussed over and over but comp. services dont like the idea.

in all honesty the best bet is:

bind F3 "vid_mode 0; wait ; vid_minimize"

and make everyone choose their locations with care.

if you can hijack a pc or ip and set up a basic quakeworld server (or with kteams) all the better.. then anyone who wants to play will instantly know what ip to join rather than word of mouth.
    any old unix box is handy for this..
    or get the server up and running on any windows box take out the keyboard/mouse and monitor and throw a nice Comp. Services "out of order" sign on it... this trick usually last about a week if your lucky and the computer users are particularly thick smile.gif

oh and a few friends workin with CSD is always helpful if thats possible..

http://www.filmsoc.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭[BSE]Telgere

DIT Kevin st have a
    Pcgamer soc
    we got a nice grant a got lab time to paly games
    we bypassed the admins by goin straight to the the person who allocated lab time (head of the maths department )
    we then went to c the admins bout the general stuff like installin more games and passwordin the folders
    best thing to do is to set up 1 then subsidise lans in cafes and when ure well known in the college take it from there
    any more questions mail me

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MindPhuck:
    A suggestion would be to set up a gaming society for the collage and make it above-board n stuff? You can even get grants for societies in collages.</font>
    Not much chance of been let use labs for this unless you have a friend on the inside. And even then it is a pretty slim chance at that...I Maynooth it is a strict no games police on all labs and the heads of the EE and CS departments are in full suport of it and since you need there permission...that said, other colleges maybe more easy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭[BSE]Telgere

dit have a good student union and we got em to coerce the head smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

UL has a computer gaming society...
    quake3 mainly..
    Fragnet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

So you are quite sure, Draco, that theres no games going on in the labs? Grand so.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by damo:
    here's a ****ing suggestion you nerd: stop playing ****ty computer games, there's better things to be doing in college</font>

HAH you have the ****ing nerve to cal me a nerd?!? and look at you address ooohh "q3tourney4, face me and meet your maker, face me an be Owned"
    HAHAH, OMG ur such a little gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Here, nerd('KENTO-SHIRO' by the way, though im sure many of you would have naturally assumed i was referring to you), i took the time to explain in part, just today, in an uncharacteristically long post on another board, my reasons for insulting nerds such as yourself and i couldent be bothered pasting it here, and i definately couldent be bothered re-typing it, so if you're interested go look for it.

Also if you were slightly more intelligent, and slightly less of a nerd, you might understand why i have such folly written as my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

here's a ****ing suggestion you nerd: stop playing ****ty computer games, there's better things to be doing in college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

keep diggin that hole damo..

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    So you are quite sure, Draco, that theres no games going on in the labs? Grand so.</font>
    Oh I know it goes on, but the point is that it is not sanctioned and that some of the staff take a very dim view on it. I've been instructed to take ids off people I catch playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Others take a different view.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

you ****ing nerds astound me. damo OWNS you. he OWNS you. you idiots. you IDIOT NERDS. why on earth would you ever even contemplate stepping to damo?

bogoak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

This is all fairly wierd as the last/only college course i was on, we where actully made play games.
    which was fairly kewl as u can guess tongue.gif

Narf!
    Clan Acid
    Clan Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

No games soc gonna happen in DCU eh?

I heard some of the ME's had a quake tourney in their labs a week or two back that CS didnt seem to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ME's are **** artists.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Kento,
    even if you have a games society, it is still against 99% of colleges' code of conduct/policy that college resources are not used for games.
    We have one set up in UL, but college labs are not allowed for the games.
    Like the lads above said, you just have to play them smartly and not get caught, there is no way around it.

Yah, when i went to see my friends in UL i went to the labs. They put ours to shame, zip drives on all comps and a couple of new labs with brand spanking new flatscreen monitors. I saw yer posters on a couple of bill boards all right, but where do you play if its a college club and u cant use the labs? surely the admins arent that stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

We have to book a room in the UL Students Union building and they let us do this because we are a recognised society. Then the lads have to hump their machines from their houses...so it's not ideal..but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Here Damo ya mans man ye, Will u ever close those fu(kin *snip* oops *snip*.

Canaboid (cooler and less nerdy than even Damo himself)

[This message has been edited by Canaboid (edited 14-12-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kento-Shiro:
    Yah, when i went to see my friends in UL i went to the labs. They put ours to shame, zip drives on all comps and a couple of new labs with brand spanking new flatscreen monitors. I saw yer posters on a couple of bill boards all right, but where do you play if its a college club and u cant use the labs? surely the admins arent that stupid!</font>

Who says you can't play games in th UL labs?I think some of our labs are deseigned specifically for games, temp folders hardly ever get deleted, you can sit where its difficult to get caught, and the admin hardly ever comes down to check (although he did catch 15 muppets one time when there was about 30 people playing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 x0n

And additionally, just in case you have an admin who actually _knows_ something about networks, you should change the listen port on your quake1 server from 27500 to something else less conspicuous, say like 1433 which is mssql server's data port.

There's plenty of free sniffers out there specifically designed to detect traffic on well-know gaming ports, but of course if you're on a switched network, sniffers won't help him/her, but he could just scan any subnets for suspicious ports open.

- x0n

Advertisement