Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson P900

Options
  • 26-02-2004 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I am looking forward to get a sony ericsson p900 from USA. Can anyone using it spit out its pros and cons for me please ? Is it better to go with P900 or Z600 or P800.
    Lads help me out a new gizmo coming my way.

Its a triple band phone ,i hope it works over here !

Thanks everyone

waiting for your suggestions
    ww)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by redhat_newbie
    I am looking forward to get a sony ericsson p900 from USA. !

ww)

I think its very risky,getting a phone from USA - I understand Vodafone should have it on its system here in a couple of weeks, so unless you are getting the phone for zero dollars ,I would wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

would be most important to check the warranty & service coverage for the handset extends to here - if it only covers the US / North American territory then you could run into difficulty here if you need to make use of the warranty

also need check out what power adaptor comes with it (you may have to get a plug adaptor / or a UK power adaptor)

then bear in mind that US tri-band handsets can be different to our tri-band handsets, with some US models being 850/1800/1900, where as ours are 900/1800/1900 - although with Sony Ericsson they differentiate with model numbers double check (e.g. T610 is 900/1800/1900 and the T616 is 850/1800/1900)

then check how reputable / professional the place you are purchasing it from, do they take returns, how will the deal with a situation if the unit is DOA (dead on arrival) - it can happen (although thankfully rarely)

other than that you might pick up a better deal with the $ being so weak (as long as the warranty & service extends here)

cheapest price I've found from a retailer (on-line / UK) for the P900 so far is Eur 740 (inc. tax & delivery)

the P800 is a great deal (even new on-line), P900 isn't a monumental upgrade really, more of a refinement/revision (mainly new design, improved screen, end-user OS updates - better enterprise compatibility) - they are both high-end handsets though - aimed at what SE call 'mobile professionals' - running a Smartphone OS from Symbian which allows for many 3rd party applications to be purchased/installed to enhance the phone

Z600 was nice if you like clam shells - completely different handset to the P series though running the (Sony)Ericsson handset system rather than the Symbian OS - pretty much the T610 (with a different screen like the T630) in a clam shell form factor

plenty of reviews of the handsets on the likes of:
    www.howardchui.com
    www.mobileburn.com
    www.mobilereview.com

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Hi Lads ( robert muldoon,DubWireless)

What you mentioned is right ?

power adaptor and other accessories are off US standards. They won't work for IRL.
    I tried to get it from UK but it was 830 Euros + tax which is pretty much costly then US one (630 euros).

Thanks very much freinds, will have to change my option..

cheers all,
    ww)

i got a P900 from Live Telecoms in the UK and it came to Eur 740 including VAT and UPS delivery

it came with a European power adaptor by mistake (although works fine with an adaptor as it was multi-voltage) - after explaining the situation they sent a UK one free of charge and let me keep the European one

might worth keeping an eye out on the P800 if you think that might suit - a great deal new and a good number second hand at this stage (look for a original / non operator branded one if going second hand)

plug: i might be putting mine (P800) up on the Mobile for sale board with some extras in the next few weeks if i don't sell it to someone I know - and I've seen a few others P800s on that board from time to time - could be an option?

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Its a great feckin phone, I'm currently trying to latch it onto Notes but I'll figure it out.

The software and the docking station are very good additions. I'd higly recommend plus that opera browser is amazing what it can do with such a small screen. The camcorder function is already getting great milleage.

Funny thing is, I'm with Orange over here taking the Queens pound, and I had a 7650 for about a year rang up for an upgrade, first offer was £290(sterling), then he looked at my bill(which was a little large after a Christmas in Ardee, and a holiday in New Zealand and Sydney, suddenly he offered my £150. He went away for a bit and said I can have it for £50!!!!

£50 and my last three bills were around the £90 mark(due to roaming) whereas before that they were only £30.

From what I see they only look at your last three bills to give you an offer price on an upgrade.

Sometimes it pays to take the English pound here in London!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 errola2

Is is available anywhere in ROI, SIM free? I'm looking to buy a P900 myself but would prefer to buy it local so if something goes wrong it's a helluva lot less hassle getting it replaced/repaired. Had a bad experience with a T610 bought from Extele.com. Sony Ericsson here in Ireland were not interested in helping as the phone was not officially available in Ireland. Was without the phone for 7 weeks as it had to go back to the UK for repair!:(

I'll stick to buying here from now on!! Unless its a massive saving buying abroad. (Hundreds less!!)

the 3G Store on Henry St had some last month, check this thread

buying a non-operator released handset model, you might end up in the same situation anyway, the main service centres sometimes aren't tooled up until the operators here release the handsets

a good feature of the the P900 is that it's user flashable so at least software updates can be handled without having to use a service centre

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Carphone warehouse are selling them for €779 sim free, i was originally told €699 but found out that the muppet was talking about the P800.

I think its order only, still not bad for an irish high street shop.

Sean

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Brian , Have you been able to get the e-mail to work using the o2 and sonyericsson settings ?

yeah - email is working grand - although entered the settings myself

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 errola2

Didn't know CPW in the republic had them, that's great thanks. And it's not a bad price either. I think i'll be paying them a visit during lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

unfortunately they say
    This item can only be delivered within the UK

had "fun" trading several emails with them in January asking if it was possible to make SIM Free handsets available to Ireland like they do other electronic equipment... as I was going to order it from them...

got replies ranging from apologising that the website was slow (it wasn't an i never mentioned it!) :confused:, to saying it could only be delivered to the UK and Republic of Ireland, then saying only to the UK :rolleyes: - gave up after they replied saying they wouldn't reply to my question anymore :dunno:

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

doesn't look like they deliver here though, their Delivery Policy and checkout page mention that delivery is limited to the UK.

BrianG

Can anyone get reliable info from Vodafone as to when P900 will be up and working here, they seem to keep putting it back all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Any dates I have put up have been reliable, until they changed the dates!!!

It was meant to be Jan sometime, then they put it back, and again..

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Any dates I have put up have been reliable, until they changed the dates!!!

It was meant to be Jan sometime, then they put it back, and again..

So, whats the latest info you have?

Advertisement