Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP's and piracy

• 26-02-2004 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone here knows an irish isp
    who has ever flagged one of its users for downloading
    pirated software/games/mp3s etc

i have friends in holland, uk and usa who hear about this
    sort of thing with increasing regularity
    just wondering if it has begun in ireland yet ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I knew a guy on chorus powernet in Limerick whos service was pulled for downloading a film(telesync) using bittorrent.

Apparently, the ISP received a letter from Paramount studios, being the clueless bastards that they are, didn't realise that PS were powerless to do anything about it.

The story had a happy ending, after contacting Chorus my friend had his connection back the same day and was back to his old downloading habits :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

k now im scared
    i have powernet and am prone 2 the odd "infraction of copyright law"

when u said powerless what exactly do u mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

i'm takin your hd and dvd writer when u get carted off to jail. now if i can only find that no. for paramount.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

The ISP service in Ireland is really only in the early stages compared to the US and holland e.g. IOL & Eircom, I cant see eircom contacting you over download content the tect support guys are frigin jokers, the ones Ive come across that is...........Download whatever you want nothing is gona happen.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Esat contact people fairly often about this basically telling them to stop the piracy or loose their connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

A friend of mine used to work for Eircom Net and all he did all day (and most of his co-workers) was download movies, tunes etc. Ironic to say the least.

Same story as above. Was talking to the tech support guy for my isp and he was telling me the best configuration for kazaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I knew a guy in nl who was dloading the windows 2003 source code (the partial leak). About mid way through his download he got a call from his isp who said that they had been contacted by MS who said to either get the customer to stop the dload or they would sue. This guy stopped his download and nought more happened. This was in denmark.

I have no idea how MS found out unless they were actually hosting the source code with a view to scare people into not downloading it.

Advertisement