Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying laptops on ebay - safe?

• 27-02-2004 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna dip my toe in the water and have a wade around on ebay UK for laptops.

Does anyone trust making such big purchases over ebay? I'm a little apprehensive having never done it :)

(Sorry if this in the wrong place)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Weird, I was just browsing ebay looking at laptops for college. Never bought from ebay before though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have bought a laptop and a handheld from ebay. My advice is, check their rating. The more rating, especially positive rating they have the safer it is for you to buy from them. Also what I usually do is check hes/her few last transaction. Also check that everything you want is there. My mistake was I assumed that the laptop came with a cd-rom as all laptops have one but it didnt. That was the only screwed up thing I got on ebay. The rest have been really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Oh I forgot, check the seller for "Power Seller" logo from Ebay or Square Trade or similiar stuff. You would probably be at ease buying from them.
    Check whether they will ship out to Ireland as not UK ebay will ship here.
    Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

one scam to suss out is if there is a lot of positive feedback that occurred over a short period of time -- there's a chance that it was generated by the sale of a lot of $5 items - just to make one big killing

however i think this is more for bigger stuff than laptops

i did notice however a thing called escrow i think it was called which will guaranteee an item between you and the seller -- you send them the money -- they hold it -- you get the item --- they forward the money -- i think it works out about $50 per $1000 or something like that

nobody will cover you if you agree to pay by a direct wire !!!

btw www.ebayireland.com suss out which items are available to ireland ( no more - ship to uk only )

Advertisement