Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus

• 27-02-2004 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Im at my mates computer and he has a possible virus.

It is in safe mode at the minute. In normal mode it is generating processes that are running the cpu time to 100% constantly. File names are all random i.e hpgs2wnd.exe , 2laezoeups.exe . Tried sifting through the other open processes shutting them down to see if I could get the one thats creating the programs but no luck. Every time I delete one it regenerates another bogus file. Its creating one every few seconds.

Ran Norton to no avail.

Anyone encounter this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

All I can really say is make sure that NortonAV is right up to date, otherwise it could be something that NAV just doesn't know about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yeah Einstürzende is right make sure the AV is uptodate,
    By the sounds of it you may have multi viruses, AV should pick it up if uptodate otherwise backup & reinstall!!!

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Get a program that monitors what automatically starts when your computer starts up, and disable everything that isn't familiar. If the virus still starts up, then reinstall, or checl the symantec website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Just check the Run folder in the registry see if there are any odd things in there and delete their key if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Go to google and searh for stinger.exe on a different computer.
    Download and transfer to infected computer and run. It will hopefully catch the virus. It only tackles recent high profiles virii but usually work. Then go out and buy a decent AV product for the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

It's not a Virus, it's a spyware.

Just do a Google on "hpgs2wnd.exe" and "CommonName" you will see other prople are having the same problem.

http://www.computercops.us/postp61795.html

CommonName can be hard to remove. It runs as 2 processes, and if you kill one of them, the other one relaunches it. It also reinserts registry entries after you delete them. You may have to boot in Safe Mode to get rid of it.

Another option, if you use NTFS, is to deny all permission to the Program Files\CommonName folder. I had to do this on a NT box that was hit, since NT doesn't have a Safe Mode. This will prevent the processes from re-launching after you kill them. Kill the processes, then restore permission to the folder (you may have to Take Ownership first). Then delete the folder, and the Run registry entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

AdAware is your friend. With the latest definitions it'll detect and deal with almost all spyware.

Advertisement