Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL and many computers

• 27-02-2004 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

Ill be getting broadband from Esat soon enough, and Ill need to connect more than one comuter to it. Does anyone here know can this be done with the kit esat will send to me, or do I need to buy some new hardware? The 2 computers may be in different areas of the house, so is it possible to use a wireless ADSL modem and router combo? If so, any reccomendations or experiences using this ?

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

You can do it with a wireless broadband router. Like the Dlink DI-614 i think it is, you'll need to buy wirless cards for the wirelesslly link computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Would the ISP officially allow this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Would the ISP officially allow this?
    They cant stop you. They dont officially prohibit it. Lots of ppl do it, dont worry be happy:D.

Good stuff

as long as they cant stop me from doing it :)

Ta

If i do get an ADSL router, Ill have to put it in the computer room in my house which is in the converted attic. Will the wireless signal travel to my room, which is on the 1st storey of my house? I am looking at 802.11g and 802.11b wireless adsl routers. Im worried the signal cant get through walls and floors, is this true, given that I have a massive metal spiral staircase that goes up to the attic from the 1st floor.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Will the wireless signal travel to my room, which is on the 1st storey of my house?

Unfortunately you will not know until you try but as far as I know you can buy aerials and stuff to boost the wireless signal. I have my wireless router/modem connection upstairs and I have no difficulty getting a good wireless signal to a laptop downstairs. I dont have a fancy metal staircase though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

If i do get an ADSL router, Ill have to put it in the computer room in my house
    If you get bad wireless coverage, you can always move the router. It is an ordinary telephone cable connection (just remember to extend AFTER the Adsl Splitter). I have about 50ft of cable between splitter and router with zero errors.

If you have a couple of machines in the "Computer Room", then connect them via Ethernet ports on whichever ADSL router you choose and use the wireless for your laptop/pda. Standard router features include DHCP and NAT, so you should have no problems setting it up.

Advertisement