Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking and ICS blues...

Options
  • 27-02-2004 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Ok here's one for ya, probably straight forward to sort out but at the moment i'm clueless.

Right then, got my pc and my laptop linked with a crossover cable and have been running it fine for file/print sharing and also internet connection sharing for some time now. Then just the other day purchased norton personal firewall 2004 for a little added protection after one or two recent incidents.

Initially took a while to get the firewall setup right with the file sharing and ICS but eventually figured out whats causing the problems, just not sure how to sort it out so hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction :)

Have the firewall setup on the pc to allow access to the laptop and it picks up my iol connection and associates it with the appropriate location no problems there. when all is said and done pc and laptop work away fine with access to the pc from the laptop freely available, if i reboot the laptop no problems arise can still share files and connect to the net through ICS. however if i reboot my pc that's when i get the problem and my laptop cannot see the pc :(

From my understanding (mostly what i've read online) about ICS is that the host pc must be assigned the IP 192.168.0.1 and that DHCP must remain enabled to reassign all the client IP's. well the pc sets itself manually to 192.168.0.1 laptop is assigned IP by DHCP and all works fine, reboot laptop and DHCP kicks in so it all stays working. When i reboot my pc though the laptop naturally loses the DHCP setting and assigns itself an automatic private address something like 169.192.254.110, the pc boots back up but then the laptop never gets reassigned a DHCP IP and so nothing works, laptop cannot see pc at all, not so much as a ping.

I did try manually setting the laptop to 192.168.0.2 so that when the pc reboots it would'nt effect it but then it ain't using DHCP and so ICS fails to work but file sharing continues :-\

So my question to you is, Do you think the fault lies with the laptop of the PC and
    can anything be done to rectify the situation so that rebooting my pc will not knock out my ICS and file sharing?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated for this annoying little problem :)

oh yeah, just incase your wondering, PC is running XP Pro and laptop is running XP Home SP1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Umm try ipconfig /renew (on the cmd line) on the laptop when the PC is up and running again see if it helps the laptop.....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I'm using ICS at home at the moment, from one pc to another, over crossover, prettymuch the same as you are.

I'm using static IP's for the gateway machine and my own one, none of this DHCP stuff, and it works perfectly.

Try this...

Laptop
    =================
    manually specify the IP as 192.168.0.100
    manually specify the Netmask as 255.255.255.0
    manually specify the Gateway as 192.168.0.1
    manually specify the DNS as the DNS that's assigned to your PC when it connects to the Internet.

PC
    =================
    unshare the connection
    manually specify the IP as 192.168.0.1
    share the connection again

That's how I did mine and it works a treat.

Oh and install VNC server on the PC, it comes in handy if the laptop is a decent length away from it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

cheers for the reply's, will test them out later on when i get back home and see if any of them work :)

if there is any more problems will get back to ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

ok well seems like i have it sorted now :)

tried the ipconfig /renew on the laptop but just came back with an error bout not being able to contact DHCP server.

moridin, cheers for the info, i think what i was fogeting when i tried to set it up manually was the DNS setting, was putting in the ip the subnet mask and gateway but was not setting the DNS. Have it all set now and everything seems to be working fine now so many thanks :)

Advertisement