Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

• 27-02-2004 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

K

Ok i bult a pc...I dont think it went well :(

maybe you could help me when i turn on the power the pc get's to the boot bios screen decets the cpu and ram (cpu was the wrong speed but no biggy) on the Bios screen it says something like "Memory speed 333mhz" in bold letter's.Also the lights on the front of the cd and floppy drive stay on + the cd tray wont eject

The keybord lights blink on and the optial mouse come's on as well

i have a awful feeling i fuged the motherboard ..any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

not being bad but the first things to check are the simplest
    first check all the cable settings - is the ide cables plugged in at he right end?
    also even though its hard to do it wrong check the power connections
    if you still have that prob remove as much as you can so you are left with mobo video and floppy and let us know what happens when yu try to boot with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ok sorry i should of given more info anyway

Its a

amd 2400xp
    Abit Nf7 v 2,0 (main atx and that smaller power connecter connected)
    Antec 300w
    256meg of ram pc 2700
    Geforce 5200 128meg agp 8
    40 gig seagate baracuda 7200rpm
    Sony floppy
    nec cd-drive

ANYWAY seeming the Motherboard Red light comes on it boots to the bios screen finds the ram grapics card cpu keybord lights up (then goes off) and the optial mouse come's on.....Then hangs with all the front floppy/cd lights on
    Im pritty sure its the psu is to weak what do you lot think ?

Im pritty sure its not ide cables m8 their color coded cant really go wrong their

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by bizmark
    Im pritty sure its the psu is to weak what do you lot think ?

Your PSU is fine. It can handle your system as is without a bother. What are you booting into? Is it a windows 98 boot floppy or an XP cd, your harddisk or what?

When you boot into the BIOS, what does it say about your harddisk? Is it recognised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

I'd still check and do everything jasperok said and work from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

If you are getting to the bios boot screen then your board is probably OK, so it is most likely something plugged in incorrectly, remove everything and reattach one at a time to find the guilty party, also check the USB connections and sound connections on the board ( usually little small individual blocks ) if these are wrong they can sometimes cause problems.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Your build seems to have gone quite well if it boots to the bios screen then the board should be OK, as for the CD & Floppy, if the tray isnt opening then its just the power connector as for the flopy its the cable you have it the wrong way around, the end with the tear in it should be connected to the drive.

If thats all thats wrong then your in good shape, just boot from your windows CD and install whatever windows ver you have.

Just double check all the power and ATA connectors.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Try changing the CD jumper from Cable Select to Master or vice versa, also make sure that you have the cd on right part of the IDE cable.

As joe says, it could just be the BIOS looking for something to boot from, but a boot cd/floppy in and see what happens.

By bios i ment just the Screen where it finds the cpu and ram .....I cant access the Bios proper just the Black screen where it tells you "press delete to access system bios"

Sorry should of made that a tad more clear ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Are you able to access the BIOS i.e. The blue screen will all the config options???

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Bizmark to fix your processor speed you've got to make sure you have the processor speed is set right in the bios. The xp2400 runs at 222mhz, so you need to set it in your bios as 222mhz or 133mhz (x2) in the bios. The 133 option will probably be the one avaliable, remember the speed is doubled by amd chips so don't worry bout it :)

• Advertisement

Are you able to access the BIOS i.e. The blue screen will all the config options

No

And i know that bot the problum is i cant get into it

Im starting to wonder if i busted the Ps/2 slot for the keyboard (bizmark fecks off down town for a ps/2 to usb convertor) :rolleyes:

o.k if you cant access the bios by pressing delete (with ONLY cpu ram and vid- no cd floppy hd) on a ps2 keyboard try a known working keyboard
    if still no luck
    loose da board
    sorry

maybethats rash it could be cpu or ram too obviously but from experience only the cou being damaged would not let u into the bios. u can still get in with bad ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If it was the ram at fault you would hear the beeps on startup. Like the guys have said previously check to make sure everything if fitted correctly. Check the heatsink on the CPU, if the system is under the impression there is no heatsink pressant it will boot for a couple of seconds and shutdown (its happened to me when i had the thing on - and properly i might add).

The fact that its making an attempt to boot is a good thing. Check the slave / master settings on your cd drives etc...... sounds like its getting to that stage. So many things it could be......

It does boot and finds the ram cpu and video card very quick it also leaves off 1 beep meaning it passed its start up tests (i bleave) the pc does not shut itself down

Ah well if i bolloxed up something no biggy ill mark it down as experance and move on (Expensive **** up though)

Ill check what you all said....Ill reinstall all the ide cables and what not + check the hard drive jumpers :) You know in a shop id have to pay 60 euro for this type of advice your been shafted lad's :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You know in a shop id have to pay 60 euro for this type of advice your been shafted lad's

lol, send your donations to .............

Advertisement