Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

philosophers.

Options
  • 27-02-2004 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

which philosopher do you like the most and influenced your way to think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mostly, I would think things through and come to conclusions all by my self and then years later, reading, i would find out which philosopher had first stated one of these ideas. Maybe, if I had to pick sb though, I'd say Pierre Bourdieu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sanfran

Mostly, I would think things through and come to conclusions all by my self and then years later, reading, i would find out which philosopher had first stated one of these ideas

same here
    albert camus/jean-paul sartre pour moi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Voltaire - Candide saved my sanity.

Nietzsche - you gotta love that crazy nihilist b@stard.

Sartre - "Hell is other people" from No Exit has to go down as one of the best lines ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Nietzsche - you gotta love that crazy nihilist b@stard.

LOL :D

I agree, Nietzsche and Jean Paul Sartre -essential reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'd definitely have to say Camus got me into philosophy when my Dad handed me a copy of 'The Outsider'. Then I went off and read nearly everything by him.

I've never really been into Sartre because I think he was wrong about lots of things. But maybe his prose saves his reputation. Nitzsche's cool 'cos he writes like a madman.

Philosophers' styles and ideas who have particularly excited me are Jean Baudrillard, Frederic Jameson, Guy Debord, Michel Foucault, Theodor Adorno, Jurgen Habermas.

But lots of non-philosopher thinkers have excited me, too, like David Held, Immanuel Wallerstein, Kees van der Pijl, stuff like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement