Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adore

Options
  • 27-02-2004 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Why do people always say the smashing pumpkins were good pre adore? Adore is a great album. Its not their fault jimmy was over dosing on all the tours and had to go into rehab, and consequently use a drum machine. When will people look past that fact and take into consideration the other aspects. if you dont like it fair enough, but have another reason other than the drum machine!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

it's one of my fav pumpkin albums... but i must admit when i first heard it wasn't to keen, but there is some great song writing on it. they were never going to make anything as good as Mellon Collie but Adore was still a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 DeadlyNiteshade

Yay!!! Someone who agrees. I think the lyrics are very dark and intricate, its amazing. I do agree with people who say Machina wasnt great, its ok, i like the everlasting gaze. Mellon Collie is quite amazing, one of their best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I always liked annie dog... but one of my fav songs ever must be

Beholed! The Nightmare....

never stoped loveing that song

I love crestfallen, and tear. I really like pug and ava adore too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭christi

I love every song on "adore" ; the lyrics are dark and brooding, which of course appeals to me, but the music that goes long with those lyrics is also just as good - I'd go so far as to say genius, and conveys the emotion from which I believe it was written.

"Twilight fades through blistered avalon. The sky's cruel torch on aching autobahn. Into the incertain divine, we scream into the last divide..."

Being a Smashing Pumkins fan, and adoring all things that Billy Corgan touches - the soundtrack for the film Stigmata is one of the best "goth" soundtracks ever produced, I also have a serious love for "mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" for who can not love Bullet with butterfly wings?

I think diehard Pumkins fans dislike "Adore" because it appealed to a wider audience and gained some commercial success, but one must look beyound the sin that is dollars and cents and gift greatness where greatness is due!

Adore is a great emotion-driven album - and that makes it a timeless recording.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I love Ava Adore, and after listening to the rest of the album, Pug was the one that really stood out.

Yes i love them both too, as i said before. This album is really under rated, by people like smurfpiss ;) (sorry sweetie i need an example) your right christi, it has all the right elements :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

Originally posted by christi
    I think diehard Pumkins fans dislike "Adore" because it appealed to a wider audience and gained some commercial success

no. it was a "flop"

Mellon Collie was their biggest album.

Adore like all their albums is great. Ava Adore from that tour was a lot heaver than the album version. That was a great tour. Their gigs were on the TV and radio and theres lot of good quality bootlegs going around.

Did anyone listen to the Olympia (98) gig on 2fm when it was on?

No i didnt, was it good?? When was it on??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That gig was on RTE the next night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

yeah i taped that gig.it was excellent. but i wasnt a mad fan of adore. somebody once said that billie and jimmy had a great chemistry and i think they were right...the drum machine was kinda sucky..i just felt it didnt leave a great impact on me, i still think its a great album but i prefer the other stuff. having said that im not a major pumpkins head,so i dunno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by christi
    I think diehard Pumkins fans dislike "Adore" because it appealed to a wider audience and gained some commercial success

I found it was the die-hards that loved it and it certainly wasn't a commercial success.
    afaik, it only sold around 1 million in its first year whereas Mellon Collie sold 6 or 7.
    Apart from its month of release it didn't appear in the album charts again.
    Unlike Mellon Collie there wasn't really any songs that you could see doing well in the charts and thus promoting the album - no 1979,bullet... or tonite tonite.
    Ava Adore and Perfect aren't as strong as those singles yet the album as whole
    was perfect....was never fond of that annie-dog though!
    The b-side for Ava Adore("once In A While") should been included.
    The closing tracks Shame, Behold.., and For Martha are incredible songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭christi

Because it's just people pointing out how wrong I am - which behoves me to admit, happens often :) Adore was and is a great cd on many levels, and it was a "hit" here in Canada and got huge radio play; on stations that would never of played a Pumpkins song... Hell in a hand-basket "crestfallen" was played "big time" on those adult/yuppie-listen-at-work stations!
    I liked and still listen to "adore" because of it's dark emotional tone, and whenever I heard a so-called pumpkins fan bitching about it - they always said the same thing; "too commercial! The band sold-out for radio-play!" I was simply quoting the feedback that I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Adore is a cool album. The Ava Adore video was cool - wasn't too keen on the Perfect video...I thought it was cool to have a sequel to 1979, and the video was "clever", but I didn't think it was great. Annie-Dog is a great song :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

adore is amazing alright - that and siamese dream are my top pumpkins albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Adore is a sublime and beautiful album and its an album I only listen to once every month if even that much. I like it as a late night headphones in a dark room type album or maybe on the last train home after work. Lots of people talk of how under rated it is, but i've honestly never heard a bad word said about this album, have I had my head in the sand? OK, arguarby it undersold by mellon collie standards. But would an album of this type sell that much anyway by any other band? It doesn't matter of course, but its always a good point of discussion.

Everyone I know that's heard this album (although 'everyone' I speak of is/was invariably a pumpkins fan of some sort through the years) thinks that this is one of the pumpkins finer moments, certainly its their most accomplished and mature album anyway. I love everything about adore ... from the cover art, inlay photos, lyrics and just the whole sound of it. Even the bootlegs from those shows around the time when adore came out are amazing to listen to. I have the dublin one taped and some of the reworking on the songs from earlier albums blend so nicely with the whole adore atmosphere thing. Seriously, if you have a fast internet connection go and download a whole bootleg from any of the european shows from around that time. Each one is a mini album in its own right.

Does anyone have any links to a few reviews for adore? I'm going to do a search now cause I have to hear how those people supposedly in the know rated this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

The funny thing is Adore was the first pumpkins album that i bought. i had been listening to mellon collie on tape alot when i went to canada, then i heard ava adore getting a lot of air play and i bought the album. I guess it just wasnt what i was really looking for, nor was it what i expected. So i was slightly disapointed in that sense. It's still a great album but its kinda like drinking a cuppa coffee expecting it to be tea,but it just tastes like coffee!!(weird analogy i know)I Still listened to the pumpkins and went out and bought Siamese Dream and I was much more satisfied!!

I guess i just prefered the older stuff by the pumpkins, in some ways it's like the KidA album by radiohead,some radiohead fans loved it,others not so much. i loved it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Amnesiac

Ah yes, Adore is the Pumpkins' greatest album, to my mind. Truly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I am sooo glad I found this thread, I was worried that this was the Alien Resurrection of the Pumpkins, and I was the lone nerd screaming into the abyss about how wonderful the new Ripley was.

I love Adore. Certainly, its different from their earlier, angrier stuff, but its a mature sensitive album about loss, and Blank Page is really, really gorgeous. I thinkAdore is a grower for most people. I wasn't much impressed when I heard it first, but its the one I play most now, and whoever mentioned the cover art, I completely agree, it is sh*t cool.

Heh, its funny, I was just searching for those lyrics from Everlasting Gaze for my signature in another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by dead air

Does anyone have any links to a few reviews for adore? I'm going to do a search now cause I have to hear how those people supposedly in the know rated this album.

pitchfork gave it 8.1 here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Brilliant album, well written and sounds good. Its neglection by fans even provided the anger and theme for Machina :) I love it. Listen to it lots, often after or before a Sigur Ros album, pure heaven! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭hippu

adore is probably the pumpkins best album when it comes to consistency
    its a mood album perfect for drivin home in the car. not like their other stuff at all
    very little guitar, but cool electronica like on pug. and Shame completely describes the feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Adore is far and away the Pumpkins' best album.

While Gish, MCIS, Machina et al can be written off (by some, lesser people of course ;) as angsty teen-anthems, Adore is the only one which can't be dragged down to that level.

IMO it's one of the best albums... well, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

adore is a excellent album. the fact that it's is under-rated doesn't really bother me though. i think it's fantastic but if others can't see the genius and beauty of it then it's their loss, i guess.

for martha and to sheila are brillaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I liked Daphne Descends (sp?). Favourite on the album.

Advertisement