Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cdjungle beats cd-wow, etc.

Options
  • 27-02-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

just an update on the on-line cd market.

just bought Norah Jones latest (Feels Like Home) for €11.80 (free delivery) from CD-Jungle . (pay by visa in US$14.74).

the price from cd-wow.ie is €13.95 and cd-wow.com.hk is €13.59 (converted from HK$131 rate is going up). play.com are €13.41 (£8.99).

still the best on-line deal, imho.

delivered in jiffy-bag, about a week, from UAE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Does anyone know which, if any of these places mark copy-protected CDs as such?

I just bought an album off play which is copy-protected, despite them saying nothing about it on the site.

I don't want to support this form of copy-protection for a number of reasons, but I don't want to return to paying higher prices in the high-street where I can see the case to find out if it has the copy-protect logo on it.

Anyone any suggestions?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Was it an EMI product jc? As far as I can see, its EMI are pushing this bullsh*t copy-protection...

On the subject of cheap cds, try http://www.djangomusic.com/home.asp . I've bought off them twice now, free postage if you spend $50 (I think standard p&p is reasonable). Bought 11 CDs altogether, cost €9.50 a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

the Norah Jones one i got was marked Copy Protected, but there was no problem ripping the tracks with Cdex and creating Mp3's or whatever.

Cdex can be got here:

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

the Norah Jones i got was Norah Jones, labelled Copy Controlled.

but there is any amount of software available out to get around this, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm not interested in "getting around it".

I have a portable Minidisc player. I have a stereo with a built-in MD player/recorder. I want to copy from disc to MD, without hooking up a second CD player to the recorder over a crappy audio-link in order to make my music portable. I want to do what the system is designed to do - make a digital copy of the music onto MD.

I have no intention of throwing out good hardware and buying myself new stuff (like an MP3 player) from the same fsckheads who both sold me my current kit and then decided to produce almost-CDs which wont work with it.

I have no intention of buying some upgrades for my pc just so I can rip from disc to PC, then digital-out from the PC to the MD recorder.

Lets not forget that the major companies are still manufacturing and selling MD players, despite them not being compatible with this new generation of copy-protection.

So I want to not buy copy-protected music.....which is why I'd like to see which discs are (and which are not) copy-protected. I have no misguided notion that my principles will ever affect the policies of these companies given that so few people are likely to share them, but thats not the point.

Would you buy (say) a car if you were told that you couldn't find out the colour until afterwards???? Its not like you couldn't respray it.....

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are a few lists here, here and here. Obviously a CD can take some time to find its way on to one of these lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I got the Norah Jones CD off amazon.de for 10.33 (It's 9.99 on the site, depends on VAT in country it's posted to). If your order is over 20€ postage is free. Arrived in 2 days (but not to Ireland).

Advertisement