Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flip up Helmets

Options
  • 27-02-2004 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Have to buy a new lid, i was thinking about the flip up ones that are popular with a lot of courriers, are they safe, or should i stick to the full face ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

i have a flip up, and must say they are dead comfy.
    dont find any problems as reguards safety either.

if u are buying a new one have a look in Jack Nolans, th#ey had a sale going on when i was buying my gear. 20% off. twas handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Seeing as I have a big head I find it hard to get flip up helmets. Anyone know where I can get a XXXL flip up ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    Seeing as I have a big head I find it hard to get flip up helmets. Anyone know where I can get a XXXL flip up ???

Try A bucket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by cranoo
    Try A bucket :)

And you try being constructive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

haha

Ahh i love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've got a XXXL Airoh flip-up. At least I think it's a XXXL...

Just went into my local bike shop and got them to order it for me. Took bloody ages for it to come in but it was worth it. Theres no beating a flip up in the summer :D

Only thing about it is that it's a hell of a lot noisier (even with the flip down & all the vents closed) than my Arai is with the visor open. That said though, trying to put the Arai on is like trying to get a whale inside a matchbox.

Actually giftfrub, get your arse to the motorbike show in the RDS before Sunday evening and theres a good chance you'll pick one up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

get your arse to the motorbike show in the RDS before Sunday evening and theres a good chance you'll pick one up there

thats what i'm thinking, i was told they often do end of year clear outs at these shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just remember, flip-ups are never as safe as solid helmets..

I have a Schuberth Concept helmet which I find to be excellent (I've had it for three years now, so I'm going to replace it soon, with another of the same model). They only have one Irish Distributor though - Jimmy Nolan is his name I think (in Mayo). He advertises in Mag's RoadRunner newspaper, so his contact details are there...

Here's a link to the concept's manufacturers web-page.. Sizes up to 64/65.

Features an interior flip-down sun-shade, which is extremely useful, and some really good ventilation points, for preventing that fog..

They also have another model, the C2 which is supposed to be pretty good..

They're not cheap though. Think they're around the €400 mark, but what price your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'd say my next will be a roof boxer, probably matt black

Cant paste a link now.. my laptop is dying and the first casualty of war seems to be my clipboard.

Anyway, I think they look the business. As one owner said "they look like a cross between a jet fighter pilot and starship troopers".

Krusty: Irish Distributor - Jimmy Nolan is his name I think (in Mayo).

Ahh, found his website if you're interested (Jim O'Connell) : http://www.bmspares.com/schuberth/

I over-estimated his prices somewhat..
    Plain colours: €342
    Silver/Blue Metallic: €361

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Doodee
    dont find any problems as reguards safety either.

Have you crashed and landed on your face yet?

If you're going for a flip-up, make sure it's top quality. Everyone's seen the pic of your man on rotten.com with his jaw missing. And KEEP THE FACKING lid closed when you're driving!

Rymus, I was checking out the Boxer a while back when I was first contemplating getting a bike, savage-looking helmet, I'd go for matt black as well (and possibly the black-tinted accessory visor for the uber-cool look). A guy pulled up next to me on a black fireblade wearing one of those, it looked the absolute shiznit.

Definitely my lid of choice when I move to Engerland and can afford a proper fscking bike!
    /me shakes fist at Hibernian...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Saw the Schuberth lids at Capital Honda stand. Regular price on label was 485 but said the regular price was 450 and offering a 10% discount on that at the show, so putting it around 400 yoyos. Sheesh that lad in Mayo offering them them for 340!

Was it the concept or the C2?

Didn't see any Schuberths at the show.. Was looking out for them.
    Guess I'll have to spin down to Mayo. They really are a great helmet.. And no more need for fidlding with sun-glasses with the aviator style flip-down shades.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Originally posted by krusty_clown
    Was it the concept or the C2?
    That I couldn't say for sure. Having had a quick look at some links, I've only seen the Concept. No C2 (Concept 2? either)

Did see some Caberg lids at the show that were half the price. And had the internal tinted retractable visor. One handed flip up catch too. I think I saw a Caberg in Mountjoy motorcycles for about 250 and at the show were under 200 AFAIK.

Advertisement