Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

My floured wings are sitting in the fridge for their 1hr right now! I will report back on their success. I'm oven cooking them.

If this works out I may use this as my Cooking Club recipe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i tried ghee on them, but it seems to give them a slightly odd flavour imho, butter wise, i just use whatever we have which is invariably the bog standard kerrygold stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I went into Tescos and asked a girl working there that I was looking for some Ghee. She told me to ask Mandy at the till. Mandy just laughed at me. You Irish are strange.

eco2live wrote: »
    I went into Tescos and asked a girl working there that I was looking for some Ghee. She told me to ask Mandy at the till. Mandy just laughed at me. You Irish are strange.
    you have to ask for it the right way.

next time go in and say "giz a look at yer ghee" and i'm sure they'll show you where it is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I remember a couple years ago,I was having a curry night,and I needed to buy ghee for one of the curries I was making.
    I know it's childish,but I was chuckling to myself walking down Parnell Street,heading towards Medina,because I knew I had to ask someone in there,"can you show me where your ghee is?" :D:D

It's the simple things................................................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

There is a reason why street traders in Ireland don't sell it.

Get your Ghee. Cheap Ghee only 2 for €1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Would you like a bag for that Ghee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

ROFL. Man, that post made my day!!:p

Made goujons tonight marinated in Franks. Damn damn tasty. Used similar methods to the wings.

Got off cuts from chicken breast fillets from Musgraves which are perfect goujon size pieces...and dead cheap.

Marinated in Franks, white wine vinegar and olive oil for 1 hour, drained the excess coating off and coated in flour/cornflour/smoked paprika. Deep fried for 6 mins and DAMN!!!!!

Made wraps with lettuce, cheese and Blenders Taco sauce.

Next time I'll marinate the chicken for several hours as 1 hour wasn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Kimia wrote: »
    My floured wings are sitting in the fridge for their 1hr right now! I will report back on their success. I'm oven cooking them.

If this works out I may use this as my Cooking Club recipe!!

How did your chicken wings work out that you oven cooked?

• Advertisement

Tried making the sauce with Ghee and didn't like it. Had a strange cheesey taste. I'm sticking with the Unsalted Butter.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ha Mellor I went through that when I arrived here, google was no help at all and I went so far as to signing up to usa foods website http://www.usafoods.com.au/c8/sauces/hot-spicy/ in order to get my fix..

However, just before I decided to buy bulk on line, I was in David Jones in Perth and in the small food section I found 20 bottles of Franks..
    I forgot all about David Jones until I was buying some wine glasses on saturday. Leaving through the food court I remember, i looked over by the sauces and sadly it wasn't there.

I didn't want to give up that easy so check all the sections (its only small as you know) and there is was, sittign in my press now. thanks
    Marinated in Franks, white wine vinegar and olive oil for 1 hour, drained the excess coating off and coated in flour/cornflour/smoked paprika. Deep fried for 6 mins and DAMN!!!!!

Made wraps with lettuce, cheese and Blenders Taco sauce.

Next time I'll marinate the chicken for several hours as 1 hour wasn't enough.

Mike, I think your problem is that it's not a marinade sauce, its a serving sauce. 5 more hours won't make a huge difference as you are just cooking all the sauce away when you deep fry.

I'd just cook them the normal way, deep fry, or grill, or bake floured wings and then toss in buffalo sauce (aka franks and butter)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

No worries, glad to be of some help. I make sure every time I am back in Perth to re stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Due to this thread I had gotten rather involved when it cam to doing wings.
    In the search for crispy oven cooked wings I was (re a link somewhere in this thread) coating the wings in salt and baking powder and leaving them overnight on a rack in the fridge, then steaming them for 12 minutes, then cooling them and refrigerating them again and them roasting them in a hot oven for 30 mins before tossing them in a mix of Franks and butter. And they were great!!

However, the other day, I was in a hurry and put the wings straight onto a rack in the oven (no seasoning, no oil) and put them in a hot oven for about 35 mins. They came out fantastic.
    The secret??
    A new oven (Electrolux)!
    The oven goes to 270 degC.!
    Super crispy.

No more 2 day wings for me!!

I've also started putting a little bit of Tamarind extract in the sauce with the butter/ghee and a scant bit of sugar to offset the extra sourness of this.
    It really gives the sauce that extra 'something'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Tried adding some philadelphia in the sauce. It makes it nice and creamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Tried adding some philadelphia in the sauce. It makes it nice and creamy

Creamy not good for me!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Haha yeah they're already unhealthy enough but I tried it out for some chicken thighs and it was nice. It also seemed to help the sauce from seperating and make it more sauce-like

However, the other day, I was in a hurry and put the wings straight onto a rack in the oven (no seasoning, no oil) and put them in a hot oven for about 35 mins. They came out fantastic.
    The secret??
    A new oven (Electrolux)!
    The oven goes to 270 degC.!
    Super crispy.

Thats the way I do my Jack Daniels Wings. Mad hot oven for 30 mins, no prep on the wings, then coat. I haven't tried the oven method for Franks yet but the deep fried wings weren't nice with the JD sauce, too sweet and oily.

Let me know if you want the JD recipe. It probably has been posted a few times.

Any quick suggestions to serve with the wings, as a main?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

More wings?

Or a nice green salad?

• Advertisement

Wings are the starter, i'll looking for a main to go with it, not a side dish

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

MORE WINGS OF COURSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

cooper90 wrote: »
    MORE WINGS OF COURSE

:D x2

One of my favourite meals out is Elephant & Castle, for a portion of their wings and fries. SORTED

Mellor wrote: »
    Wings are the starter, i'll looking for a main to go with it, not a side dish
    a nice big batch of sticky BBQ ribs always go down well in my house.

if you can, make sure you just buy the whole rack with all the meat on, rather than just the bony ribs. a whole rack will comfortably feed 7-8 people if you've had wings to start.

we'd usually do some regular & sweet potato chips as well, just cut the sweet potato's up a bit thinner than you'd do steakhouse chips with one wide side and one thin side so they have lots of surface area to crisp up as they are softer than regular chips inside once they are cooked. leave them to soak in plenty of cold water for an hour or so and then deep fry.

if there's a bunch of people and they're going to be hungry, you can bulk it up with some home made onion rings (and maybe mushrooms) too. 300g plain flour, 1tsp smoked paprika, 1tsp baking powder & 1/2tsp baking soda, 1tsp salt & 1/2tsp pepper and slowly add either water or beer and whisk into a smooth batter of about the same thickness as double cream. cut your onions into slices and pull out the rings, flour & then batter them and deep fry. you could also use buttermilk for a slightly sour dough like soda bread which is nice as well, assuming you like soda bread. the same recipe for batter works just as well with fish too. the secret it to start the frying off at a lower temp (around 150-160 degrees) and then lift them out and whack up the heat and then drop them back in once it's up to temp to finish them off. also, avoid the temptation to make the batter too thick as it won't come out right when you fry it if it's really thick.

the temperature thing also goes for frying chips. lower temp to cook through first, then higher temp at the end to crisp up at the end. :)

if you don't fancy all that fried stuff, fajita's (stay clear of the old el paso ready made muck, just look it up online, they're so so easy to make and 100 times better) go really well with wings too, or even some nice home made burgers. anything you'd put into the "tex-mex" category is a pretty safe bet tbh.

clicky piccy. :)
    th_chickenwings.jpg

here's the latest batch of boneless wings made from de-boned chicken thighs cut into 3 strips with some home made roasted garlic dip on the side.

just reheated the leftovers in a dry frying pan and crisped them up good and proper and they were just as tasty. :)

vibe666 wrote: »

here's the latest batch of boneless wings made from de-boned chicken thighs cut into 3 strips with some home made roasted garlic dip on the side.

just reheated the leftovers in a dry frying pan and crisped them up good and proper and they were just as tasty. :)

i know what you mean, but I did lol this bit

i know what you mean, but I did lol this bit
    well it's either that or try and get the bones out of the wings, but it'll be a lot more fiddly. :)

thigh & wing meat is pretty much identical in colour, flavour & texture so it's a good substitute for wings for people who either don't like the bones in wings, or cooks who don't like seeing their nieces go through a bowl full taking one bite out of each wing and throwing the rest back on their plate as waste! :eek:

Ah I wasn't loling at the actually taking out of the bones, I do that too. I normally use deboned wings or chicken tenders.
    I was loling at you still calling them "wings" when they were made from thighs.

Just thought it was funny.

Ah I wasn't loling at the actually taking out of the bones, I do that too. I normally use deboned wings or chicken tenders.
    I was loling at you still calling them "wings" when they were made from thighs.

Just thought it was funny.
    if it looks like a wing and tastes like a wing. ;)

how much bufallo do you think they have in a bufallo wing? :pac:

i actually use chicken thighs in most of my chicken related cooking now these days. the flavour, texture and succulence are all so much better than you get with breast meat, not to mention it's so much cheaper.

i just don't think i could go back to using breast meat now in cooking at home, even if i do sometimes have to de-bone my own thighs for a curry or stir fry (as with last night). :)

in the supermarkets you can get packs of bone in, skin on wings for €3 (2 for a fiver in supervalu right now) that give you plenty enough meat for 2 people or sometimes they also do a pre boned & skinned pack in the same packaging that has twice as much meat in it for €5, so it's hard to go wrong either way.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    how much bufallo do you think they have in a bufallo wing? :pac:
    If the wings aren't in buffalo, then they aren't buffalo wings ;)

Advertisement