Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've been scouring tesco for ages for Franks, they finally have some in Cavan!

The last time I made sauce, it was just a mix of ketchup, sweet chilli and bbq sauce. Was tasty, but not quite right.

Bring on the Franks!

Can't wait to try Ballymans recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

According to Bargain Alerts Frank's Hot Sauce is on special offer at the moment at 99c, marked down from 2.99- I think they're be lots of chicken wings on people's dinner tables this weekend :)

Fletch123 wrote: »
    According to Bargain Alerts Frank's Hot Sauce is on special offer at the moment at 99c, marked down from 2.99- I think they're be lots of chicken wings on people's dinner tables this weekend :)

Yup, that was me. Awesome.

Great recipe, but herself couldn't eat them, too hot with the hot sauce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just use more butter. It takes away some of the hotness. The sauce should be more orangey than red from the large amounts of butter mixed in. This is the way they are in most resteraunts I believe. My first few batches were really hot but I just kept adding more butter. Dont be afraid of it. It all just adds to the taste ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Another critical step that I have discovered after successive attempts is to melt the butter and hot sauce together VERY slowly over a low heat, stirring continuously. This stops the butter from separating and gives you a much better consistency. A dash of Worcester sauce is also good.

Other variations I have tried included marinading the wings in buttermilk and tabasco for a few hours before cooking (extra juicy), and poaching the wings in beer (extra tasty).

Thanks guys, i'll give that a go the next time.

I was worried i put in too much, but more butter is the way forward.

:( Worrying news in the Bargains thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623175

Seems Tesco are stopping stocking it. Not sure if Fallon & Byrne use the same importer. I have also seen it in a Sainsbury's up north if things get really desperate...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Folks, my brother bought a couple of bottles in Eurospar at the weekend and he saw some more in a regular Spar shop. Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Eurospar and Spar have it. Happy Days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

i have the sauce -- bought i wholesale --- somes in Gallon containers ---
    they wil be on my menu this weekend for spraoi --- cant say where as its advertising ---- if u want a sample of the sauce pvt me and il organise it for ya

Franks RedHot Sauce and Wing Sauce spotted in Supervalu in Carrickonshannon. Spotted it when I was passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Got some Franks in my local spar:pac::pac::pac::pac:. yum yum. Very like El paso Howth wings:)

Posted this on the Frank's Bargains Alert thread, but I'll stick it here in case anyone's interested...

Does anyone in and around South Dublin (Sandyford to be specific) want a 3.7L bottle? I'm good friends with a local butcher and he ordered me in two. There's one spare in his shop, if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll give you the inside scoop.

First come first served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Got an industrial-sized KEG of the lovely Frank's sauce of Coffee to Go the other day in what looked like a dodgy drug deal in a South Dublin industial estate the other day! All I can say is great value and a sound gesture from him ro post this great offer on here. Thanks again CTG, your a gentleman. The guests at my daughters christening will have orange sauce all over their faces and be gaggin for water when I add my special chopped chillies to the mix... all I need now is a barrell of blue cheese dip now to dip the wings in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Just had some wings, cooked in oven til cispy. Mixed some Franks RedHot Sauce with melted butter. Butter went lumpy. :confused:

No matter anyways, the wings were 'Nectar of te Gods'.

Had to talk myself out of drinkin from the bottle.

I bought the small bottle in Supervalu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Has anyone bought Franks recently and where? Spent most of yesterday evening driving around Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth looking for a bottle to go with the mountain of chicken wings that are sitting in my freezer. Tried Spars, Eurospars and Supervalu with no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Toulouse wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Franks recently and where?

I've seen a bunch in Fresh on Grand Canal Dock. Want some? Message me, and we could work something out via Paypal.

I'll be in town at the weekend so I'll pop in and have a look. Thanks a million!!

No worries! =)

I've definitely seen it in a few of the city centre supermarkets, but Fresh has quite a few. Cheap, too.

• Advertisement

Sweet, I'll be stocking up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Toulouse wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Franks recently and where? Spent most of yesterday evening driving around Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth looking for a bottle to go with the mountain of chicken wings that are sitting in my freezer. Tried Spars, Eurospars and Supervalu with no luck.

They have it in the Spar at Glen esaton in Leixlip:pac:

Nice, I'll pop down at lunch :)

Thanks lods, now the proud owner of 3 bottles of Franks. Quite expensive for the little bottles but worth it. Should keep me going for a little while :)

I never even knew that Spar was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

My granny makes nicer chicken wings than Elephant & Castle. In fact my granny cooks them on the barbie! I think elephant and castle is a bit like leo burdocks - over rated :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

My granny makes nicer chicken wings than Elephant & Castle. In fact my granny cooks them on the barbie! I think elephant and castle is a bit like leo burdocks - over rated :P
    they used to be pretty good, but the last time i was in there i think they must have used sparrow wings and watered down sauce because it was crap.

i guess nothing is recession proof.

the whole point of this thread though is that the E&C wings are based on the original anchor bar recipe in buffalo, NY (hence them being buffalo wings) and they've used franks hot sauce to make them since the 1960's which is now available in Ireland so anyone (or their granny) can make them just as well and in most cases better thank E&C.

i had a bunch of guys over from work last august for a bbq and did franks wings along with my own secret recipe bbq ribs and some lovely steak burgers with all the other stuff that goes with that, as well as a heap of booze and people are still talking about it over a year later as the best bbq they were ever at. :)

unfortunately, due to the crappy summer and my impending wedding, this years feast was put off, but i regularly get pestered in the office to set a date for another bbq, so it obviously went down well, particularly as most of the people who came had to drive from dublin to navan and it's normally very hard to get a dub to drive further north on the N3 than clonsilla. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was actually in TGI Friday's in Blanchardstown last night (a sin i know, not my choice, i was with a group and got outvoted) and the sauce on their 'boneless wings' was franks. they were actually okay considering how much i hate the place and all it's mass produced artifical tasting crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fender69

Guys,
    Franks has been listed by all but the smallest Dunnes Stores.
    It has also been taken on by Superquinn.
    Musgraves (Supervalue & Centra group) buy it into stores at local level (its not a head office agreed line, but if enough of us ask the question.!!!)
    Tesco dont carry it anymore since they moved a lot of their purchasing back to the UK :-(
    Spar and Londis also buy on a store by store basis.
    Finally Musgrave Cash and Carry outlets stock the 3.7L versions!
    Hope this helps other fans like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I'm sure this has already been asked here but there's a lot of thread to search through and can't seem to find it - how do I cook the drumsticks to get best results? They are quite large drumsticks so I'm guessing the oven then deep fat fryer? Then coat with Franks? NEED these wings for x-factor night tomo thanks!

• Advertisement

Typically, you use wings rather than drumsticks. There's also a LOT of recipes here - it's a big-ass thread! - which you should scan to get a feel of what you need to do.

But if it's drumsticks, then I'd cut the tendon attaching the muscle to the ankle - slice all the way around. Deep fry for 5 minutes, transferring batches to the oven. Give them a good 20-30 minutes in the oven. This will also dry off the excess oil.

Make up the sauce separately, then combine the drumsticks.

Advertisement