Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming: AA vs Rez

Options
  • 27-02-2004 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

This is something that I was thinking about today, what constitutes the bigger performance hit in a game?

1024 x 768 and Anti Aliasing to kill the jaggies

or

1280 x 1024 with no AA whatsoever to kill the jaggies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

It would really all depend on your computer spec, video card (memory, memory speed) etc. I can imagine it would vary greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    This is something that I was thinking about today, what constitutes the bigger performance hit in a game?

1024 x 768 and Anti Aliasing to kill the jaggies

or

1280 x 1024 with no AA whatsoever to kill the jaggies.

Also, depending on the game, the 1024x768 option could look less jagged at the cost of making thing a bit "clunky". Load up an old game at 640x480 8x AA to see an immediate example.

Generally Id do 1152x864 with 2x AA as a minimum for quality sakes.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Deoends what size you like text and stuff too (for multiplayer), I like to play about 1024x768, I dont mind jaggy edges, but if I wanted it to look pretty Id prolly put about 2 or 4 times AA. I find 1600x1024 virtually unplayable, text in impossable to read :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

I try to run on 1280X1024 and stick on as much AA as the game allows for best visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Deoends what size you like text and stuff too (for multiplayer), I like to play about 1024x768, I dont mind jaggy edges, but if I wanted it to look pretty Id prolly put about 2 or 4 times AA. I find 1600x1024 virtually unplayable, text in impossable to read :/

You need a bigger monitor then! :P

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I have a 17" (2 of them infact, both only half work tho), but Id like a 19", a m8 has a 21" and its horrable, you get lost on your own moniter :)

(the twat seems to insist its OK slugging that thing along in a corsa too with 3 other peopel with PCs in the car, heh, fun fun getting it in)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've had AA turned off completely since GTA:3. Turned it off to get rid of slowdown and haven't really found a need to turn it back on.

Advertisement