Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom upgrading, what about iol!!!

• 27-02-2004 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

With eircom upgrading their bb services will this mean iol is going to do the same?

it makes sence for them to do it and stay competative but i can see anything on their site about it

anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

read a couple of threads, I've read it a few places today .... the word on the street is that they will announce on Monday next ... same with Netsource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

I rang them this Tuesday, explained that eircom are offering some nice deals.
    The guy said there is something in the pipeline but he couldn't say much. To be honest i wouldnt hold my breath but as you said they will have to keep up with eircom so fingers crossed as I'am an Iol bb customer. people are saying somethings about a 15gb cap and hopefully a lower contention ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

dont think the conection ratio is an issue for me, dont think there are many (if at all) people on my road with broadband let alone a pc

bigger cap would be nice, higher speed even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there'd be no point imo having bigger speed unless they up the cap too.

it's both of them of just the cap.

price drop would be nice

i got confused in their prices once they took them advantage home whatchacallit's into the equasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Lowering the price is whats needed most in this country, friends in holland are getting 2mbit for around €40!

i agree if the speed goes up so does the cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Personally cannot wait for tomorrow, really hopeing that Netsource will double the connect speed as well as the previously announced improving contention..

If they don't its back to big bad eircom for me..that 1mb is just too big a carrot :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

from what i gather, esat cant offer much else besides a better cap and price, as in they have no control over speeds or contention....
    still, im hoping for a product with 24:1 ratio, 512 speed, big cap (15gb seems to be the expected), and all for €40 under the talk and surf deal..... so that my package will improve dramatically and it wont cost me any extra.......

I dont see why that cant happen

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

If you allready connectted to IOL BB, will this new pricing and all that apply to the current customers in the 12 month contract, or is it just for new users signing up?

I would think its for everyone.. just would like to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

So from what I gather, IOL may be ugrading to 1mb line for everyone on 512k broadband. Thats kind of strange. I would have thought they would reduce the price, keep the current speed and give a bigger cap. Weird. :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

do you mean a 1mb upgrade like what eircom did for their business customers, or just everyone??? that would rule

ADREN, i was given assurances that all existing customers would be given any price drop/package upgrade made. As an example the guy explained to me how people on esat phone and with iol BB got their reduction once the talk and surf deal came in in january... it would be very bad business for them to not pass it on, think of the custom theyd lose/piss off

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Ah thats good stuff :) thanks Flogen.

Jesus, 1mb line.. not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Michaelangelo
    So from what I gather, IOL may be ugrading to 1mb line for everyone on 512k broadband
    It's not possible for them to upgrade everyone's speed. They just resell eircom's RADSL, they can't change the specs for it. Eircom doubled the speeds on it's ADSL packages, but Esat doesn't resell these. Their ADSL offerings are their own. That's not to say they won't double the speed on their ADSL to compete, but it's not a certainty. Afaik though, Netsource's SME and Premier are just resold Eircom packages, so these should be automatically upgraded (if they really are resold eircom ADSL).

Will be interesting to test, my old eircom broadband user:pass still works ...will be testing it if netsource speed doesnt jump tomorrow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by MrPinK
    It's not possible for them to upgrade everyone's speed. They just resell eircom's RADSL, they can't change the specs for it. Eircom doubled the speeds on it's ADSL packages, but Esat doesn't resell these. Their ADSL offerings are their own. That's not to say they won't double the speed on their ADSL to compete, but it's not a certainty. Afaik though, Netsource's SME and Premier are just resold Eircom packages, so these should be automatically upgraded (if they really are resold eircom ADSL).

AFAIK Netsource resell the radsl package...but are switching to the adsl one tomorrow (48:1 -> 24:1 )..question is..is it the 512k or the 1mb one...murphys law says the 512k one..and its bye bye netsource time here.

Eircom's new 24:1 package is still RADSL. Then can't switch all the RADSL customers to ADSL because a lot of people who passed the line test for RADSL wouldn't pass it for ADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Jesus, 1mb line.. not bad.
    You can be certain, there will be no speed increase. IOL Broadband will still be re-selling the Eircom RADSL package, which is the one that currently costs €39.99. The announcement will be a price drop and possibly an increase in the download "allowance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Can i ask whats happened to Eircoms business products now? Thought i heard that they had been made into 1mb on here or was i dreaming?
    Just curious as i have the esat business basic package and wonder if i can expect any change.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Can i ask whats happened to Eircoms business products now? Thought i heard that they had been made into 1mb on here or was i dreaming?
    They were upgraded on the 25th/26st, lucky bastards. I know some pretty smug people with 2Mb connections now.

I would imagine Esat will have to upgrade you too, or at least drop the price. Their 512k package now costs more than Eircom's 1Mb package. They are gonna have to do something to stay competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

good stuff :D

Advertisement