Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd request for CC details.

• 27-02-2004 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Got this mail today from http://www.ny-camera.de seems a little odd.

Thanks for your order.

Please could you do us a small favour to help us with your order.
    For all first time orders our bank insists that we take some form of
    identification,
    otherwise, we are not insured in the event of credit card misuse. Please
    could you fax,
    or scan us a copy of your card with both sides visible, and also of your
    passport
    or driving license, so that we can confirm this to them, and then we
    will be able
    to send this to you very quickly.

I've heard of people ordering from them before but has anyone ever been asked to fax thier CC details like this? Should I be worried or is this standard practice? I've never been asked this before so I thought I'd consult "those who know" first.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

hi,

I've had to do this a couple of times in the past. If you're worried ring your cc centre and see if they can contact them on your behalf.

fiacha

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jesus Mary & Sweet St Joseph! Don't do it! Did you buy something from this site? Have you had previous dealings with them?

With that much info they could set up bogus bank accounts and credit cards.

Most international banks will request that you supply them the three digit code printed on the signature part of the credit card as an added measure.

Ringing your credit card company for advice sounds like the most sensible solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have encountered such situation before. Its a security measure for companies especially in Germany. Funny thing is, the website that I bought the stuff would only asked you to do that if you pay using Mastercard. If you pay by Visa, its fine. I guess Mastercard's payback policy aint that great.
    If you read this thread, hazbot had to do the same thing when he purchased from a Germany site. He said everything went well.
    At the end of the day, your card is insured against any unlawful used. I wouldnt worry too much about it. But if you feel uneasy about it, rule of thumb is dont do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Originally posted by MarkR
    Jesus Mary & Sweet St Joseph! Don't do it!

Thats exactly what I thought Mark, I think I will consult my CC company just to cover all the bases... But I need the camera soon ! It's a birthday present !

Just out of interest has anyone who bought from this company been asked this before? Or is it just me? I actually got the link from boards and cause someone was ranting about thier cheap prices, which I can't disagree with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I saw a thread where someone had the same thing from the same camera company.
    As far as I remember they did what was asked and there wasn't a problem.

Tis a bit odd though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Cheers for that Neokenzo, didn't spot the thread. I think I'll ask the CC company just incase. Woo Hooo home time, cheers for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

www.expansys.co.uk do this as well. They are an excellent company to deal with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Expansys UK do this as well, first time I ordered from them I had to send them a fax of my drivers license and front and back of the credit card.

You are right to be wary though, I would not worry too much with a big company like expansys, but some little german company no-one has heard of is a different story.

And if it was a Romanian or Nigerian company I wouldn't go near them.

XDA

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I didn't like the sound of this when a friend of mine ordered from them, same for when I ordered from them...

What I did though was e-mail them what they asked with only the last 4 digits on the CC showing. This is all the want to see.

Any details you think they should not see. Passport/Driver licence number then don't give it to them.

They want matching signatures and matching 4 digits on from and back of CC.

That's what they mainly want/need.

Advertisement