Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radical changes in DIT Ents.

Options
  • 27-02-2004 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I know there is a few people here from DIT and i wondered if you had any opinions on DIT Ents.

Inevitably if you have been in college recently you know about the proposed major changes in the structure of our Students Union.

One of the provisions in the proposal is with regard to Ents. The company which researched the structure Montague Communications suggested that DIT have an overall ENTS manager responsible for Ents or that we have an independent Ents company run Ents for the union.

Im going to be in final year next year so this doesn't really effect me but I wouldn't like to see the place go to **** either.

I take serious issue with an outside company having such a cosy relationship with the students union. The independent company will take a huge chunk of the cash which should go to charity or the union. The promotions companies justify this by saying that they are taking the risk away from the union.

If events are promoted and run professionally then there shouldn't be a risk.

My idea is that DIT should have a campus bar for each site until we move to Grangegorman when there could be a campus bar or a major venue off campus.

Aungier St and Kevin St - CornerStone
    Bolton St - Bodkins
    Rathmines - Savannah?
    Cathal Brugha St - Sidewalk/Backgate

The events manager should liaise with these bars and negotiate deals on a year by year basis with regard to prices etc.

I also think that there should be major societies for each faculty which provide an academic and career function as well as an Ents function. The Business and Engineering Society is some sort of sick joke that should not have been awarded society status. It offers no academic or career function or any other function apart from fairly poor ents.

The events manager should liase with and support these societies with promoting and running all kinds of events like guest speakers, career fairs and nights out.
    These societies could represent each faculty.

Management and Marketting - Faculty of Business (M&M Soc?)
    Engineering - Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Built Environment (Eng Soc)
    Science and Medicine - Faculty of Science (S&M Soc???)
    Drama and Arts - Faculty of Arts
    Music - Faculty of Arts
    ????? - Faculty of Tourism and Food

This would allow DIT to have an Ents system similar to UCD and Trinity and other colleges. Also like the Greek Life system in the US.

Advertisement