Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has benchmarking lead to better public sevices?

Options
  • 28-02-2004 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Has benchmarking lead to better public sevices?

I seriously don't think it has. I've personally noticed little change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

define better public services. they are paid more.
    does this mean the best and brainiest ones wont go to private sector?
    If so we have a better service- compared to one without the best civil servants.
    However unless they actually left we do not know how bad it might get.
    Much prefer to see the whole lot in private hands. Innature the ultimate learning org. is DNA. If success is about learning and survival why not seek the same in the public service sector?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

No need to put things in private hands. All thats required is the same level of freedom to hire & fire that exists in the private sector.

The main thing holding back the development of public services is the wasters. Fire their lazy asses! The public service has as much talent as the private sector, but their efforts are held back by these time-serving 'job for life so why bother' types.

I find it hard to put into words my contempt for these individuals.

Hiring people on contract doesn't work either as contractors have no long term ambition within an organisation. So they have an attitude not too different from the time-wasters. In fact they're worse because they can screw things up royally and then jump ship before it all hits the fan.

Hire people to permanent positions. Fire them if they don't deliver.

Regarding the main question, even if benchmarking does deliver, it will take years for real improvements to show through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

All thats required is the same level of freedom to hire & fire that exists in the private sector.

I'd say the freedom is already there, however the desire to fire is not (hey that sounds good...the desire to fire...)

Heavy unionisation does not, in my opinion, aid productivity anywhere. Employers would in most cases like the "herd" of employees to become individuals, showing their own initiative, working pro-actively etc, then they are rewarded as individuals for their efforts which in turn spurs on others to do the same. Unionisation just puts people back into another type of herd. Sure there are benefits to unions but I see in this county there is still a very strong worker/management divide particularly in unionised organisations.

Advertisement