Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Try something other than WWE.

• 28-02-2004 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

WWE lost it's touch at the end of 1997.
    They seem to ruin peoples career paths.
    E.g. RVD-Longest reigning ECW TV Champion-Now he is forever a WWE Mid-Carder.
    Why don't try and watch some other promotions such as ECW, FMW, BJW, NJPW, AJPW, NWA-TNA, IWA-Japan and loads more. You are guaranteed to see your favourite WWE stars such as Benoit, Jericho RVD etc,etc. pulling off brilliant moves that WWE have banned them from doing

Check Out this link for cool videos-They get delivered in less than a week!!!

Highspots.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Don't just claim that wrestling 'lost it's touch', it's just different now but has qualities that 1997 lacked just as now we lack some of its.
    Not speaking personally but a lot of people on this board do watch other federations and archives.
    And as for RVD he didn't exactly have as much star-quality opposition in ECW now did he. And his career has hardly been 'ruined', current tag team champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eliminator

Well I haven't been watching WWE lately so it's good to know that he's getting the push he deserves.
    I said "WWE" had lost it's touch, not wrestling in general, don't take this the wrong way but it seems that people consider WWE is the only promotion out there.
    And as for "star-quality" ECW was about the wrestling in wrestling not the entertainment.
    I agree that wrestlers like Sabu, Jerry Lynn, Hayabusa etc may not have the quality you are looking for but it is what these men can do in the ring rather than on the mic that makes them the better wrestler.
    For instance, many journalists seem to agree that Hulk Hogan wasn't a great in-ring wrestler but his actions in portraying his charachter were superb making him one of the most famous wrestlers of all time.
    It is the Hogan qualities rather than the Sabu ones that the WWE talent scouts seem to be on the look-out for.
    Anyway,Thanks for your criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Welcome Eliminator...

Firstly, your conspiricy theory is flawed. As much as I watch every promotion under the sun, and would like to beleieve I am educated in the ways of wrestling information. But most of the federations u mentioned are over. I am a total Fronter Martial Arts Wrestling Fan boy. I am a huge Hayabusa fan. But since he can hardly walk now, and FMW went bankrupt in 2000 and Akai shot himself in 2001, its gonna be a little hard to make competition for WWE by watching out of buisness promotions. Same with ECW. WWE are never gonna have to try and compete live TV with people watching DVDs in their home.

I love every wrestling promotion thats worth loving. But TNA is the closest thing WWE has to competition, and they dont even have a tv deal. Even if they did, their persentage ratio is so low, that it would take years or a miricle to get TNA to become reasonable competition.

I used to say the same about WWE. But I grew out of it. If you could see the level of WWE perfessionality you would appreciate it more. Its great to see AAA or ROH lucha libre, but the matches lack consistancy, and do get old. Ive seen enough huricanrannas and arm drags. They are grand used in moderation, but some companies psuedo athletes can only backflip and jump around like mexiacn jumping beans. Look at special K in ROH. There a bunch of tallentless backyard scum bags. All thye can do is break dance and backflip, ive never seen them use any viable wreslting moves ever. I wont admit I dont like watching there matches, cos I do but i can only take so much of it. These guys just arent wrestlers.

WWE are a very excellent brand. The fact that they get so much sh1t is cos they are the biggest and that attracts all this attention.

Hanza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Originally posted by Eliminator
    I agree that wrestlers like Sabu, Jerry Lynn, Hayabusa etc may not have the quality you are looking for but it is what these men can do in the ring rather than on the mic that makes them the better wrestler.

Wasn't Lynn asked to do tough enough by mcmahon? What's wrong with his wrestling skills? Sabu didn't have bad skills either, just he was overtly psychotic...

I think those two built the reputations in the ring rather than steve corino on the mic

Do you think WWE has something fresh every show?
    Their storylines are sometimes blatantly obvious.
    Honestly, in the past year I have rarely seen a WWE match that has made me sit up and say "wow this match is really good".
    Some of the companies I've mentioned above may be out of business but I'm not talking about competitors to go against WWE because I know that would take a miracle, all I'm saying is try out some of the old companies.

• Advertisement

"Honestly, in the past year I have rarely seen a WWE match that has made me sit up and say "wow this match is really good".

How could you if you don't watch WWE????

"Their storylines are sometimes blatantly obvious."

Yeah sometimes they are but thats the nature of the game, writers tend to be limited in terms of storylines cause the two basically have to end up in the ring.

Give us some examples of something 'fresh' and not 'blatantly obvious'

If the writers get to deep then they will loose there target audience. Why do you think WWE has not intorduced Lucha Libre rules? Cos its to complicated to suddenly get used to. Mexican fans have had it for about a century, so ther eused to it. Here are the rules for all ye unlearned degenerates:D :

1.The matches are usually 6 man tags.Teams consist of 2 stars and a captain
    2.Only a captain can pin a captain
    3.Tags are not requested, but a team member cannot enter the ring unless another in thrown out, not if they leave of their own free will, unless injured.
    4.Low blows are an instant DQ
    5.2 refrees are appointed a match
    6. Both Refrees have to agree on a decision before it is made, however only one refree may make a pin count.
    7.Refrees are alowed get physically involved, but starts can even disagree with a refree.
    8.Weapons are not totally illegal, and dont USUALLY result in an instand DQ, but this rule is wavered. Weapons are allowed be used outside the ring

There u go. Now, for WWE to have a luche libre rules match would be origional.

Anyway, Look at CZW. They have some of the best high flyers of all time ie: Sonjay Dutt and the most excellent Ruccus, but their promotion is stale. Sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump, sick bump, barbed wire, sick bump, sick bump, broken ladder, sick bump... need I continue?

Hanza

That's good Hanza but this guy is talking about something fresh EVERY WEEK. I was making the point about how storyline writers are limited in their storyline writing.

Don't they have a captain falls match in smackdown 5??not sure if it's ever been done in real life.

Yeah they do have a captain fall match in Smackdown 5.

I actually agree with you Hanza, CZW is a very unoriginal promotion
    They're complete ECW copy cats. They try to make their product as extreme as possible.
    I went and saw Zandig vs Justice Pain at the first IWW show in the Basketball Arena,
    I was pretty excited because I'd never seen barbed wire being used live in front of me but i can only recall one move being done in the matc

Was anyone else at that show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Why don't try and watch some other promotions such as ECW, FMW, BJW, NJPW, AJPW, NWA-TNA, IWA-Japan and loads more. You are guaranteed to see your favourite WWE stars such as Benoit, Jericho RVD etc,etc. pulling off brilliant moves that WWE have banned them from doing

Check Out this link for cool videos-They get delivered in less than a week!!!

Highspots.com

I tried, I don't understand how people can sit through ECW without knawing their own arm off. It's low budget, dodgy camerawork that looks like a five year old having an epileptic seizure was responsible for. It just puts off the in ring action.

Blah blah blah, ECW set the standards. So did Duran Duran for pop music but christ, i don't wanna see them do another tour!

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

... that get boring very quickly
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

I went to the second IWW show in the basketball arena. I must say that the TLC match that was put on was really good. Chris"The Bambi Killer" really brought the best out in his opponent. I can't remember who his opponent was but it was great the way the wrestlers went outside the barrier and into the crowd. The biggest highlight of the match was when they set up two boards between the ring and the barrier and the other guy got Superplexed through the boards from the turnbuckle onto the floor. You don't see that happen in WWE. That was original

The other guy was Michael Kovac.
    But the Superplex wasn't very original, i've seen that before on old tapes
    I tried, I don't understand how people can sit through ECW without knawing their own arm off. It's low budget, dodgy camerawork that looks like a five year old having an epileptic seizure was responsible for. It just puts off the in ring action.

ECW is what they call in the wrestling business: AN INDEPENDENT PROMOTION!!!
    That's why it is f***ing low budget.

Because they don't have 40ft high structures as entrance ways and $100,000 cameras makes their quality poor, huh?

Not every f***ing promotion is WWE you know!
    Not every match is a spotfest in ECW.
    Did you ever watch some early Mikey Whipwreck against Devon Storm for instance.
    Or Louie Spicolli vs Johnny Smith.

I was sitting at the time keepers table when Kovac went through the table to the out side, and it wasnt a superplex (at the second show anyway, if thats what yall are refering to, if not sorry...) but illl never forget it. It was horrible looking. But horrible in a good way, Kovac ass was the first thing to hit the ground. OUCh, i cant convay how painful it lookw ith words.

Y'all should have seen Bambi after the match back stage. His eyes welted shut and he was bleeding everywhere, once they dry off the sweat, you see how serious the blade jobs are. They thought his fingers where broken as well.

IwW 4Ever!

Hanza

Relax Eliminator FFS :mad: idiot!!!

I love ECW, Nero doesnt. Bill likes HHH, I like Hayabusa. Who Fucking cares. Relax you little freak. Your gonna get banned. Who cares if some one disagrees with you... Get over it.

I tried to be tolernt to your childish comments and immaturity, but im sick of being civil. Your a little spoilt kid...

Go build a wrestling ring. :mad:

Hanza

The other guy was Michael Kovac.
    But the Superplex wasn't very original, i've seen that before on old tapes

ECW is what they call in the wrestling business: AN INDEPENDENT PROMOTION!!!

Because they don't have 40ft high structures as entrance ways and $100,000 cameras makes their quality poor, huh?

Not every f***ing promotion is WWE you know!
    Not every match is a spotfest in ECW.
    Did you ever watch some early Mikey Whipwreck against Devon Storm for instance.
    Or Louie Spicolli vs Johnny Smith.

Louie Spicolli? Give me a break, i'm not one for taking the piss out of the dead but even his ECW stuff wasn't up to much compared to the likes of Austin, Taz and Jericho! He was talentless by comparison and Heyman was the man responsible for his (and most of the ECW guys) success in the promotion!

Here, here's 50 euro cents, buy a clue!
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Why not get Sky Digital and then you get to see NWA:TNA, FWA, CMLL, CZW, MLW, ROH, GAEA, IWW, NJPW, NOAH, 3PW, Memphis Classic Wrestling, RF Video Shoot Interviews, NJPW Classic Wrestling, ITV: World of Sport.
    CMLL gives you your Lucha Libre. FWA is being vroadcast right now if your really interested, it's on a loop. You will have to follow directions on their website/forum to tune it in for now though.

Out of all that list, all i'd be particularly be interested in is the RF interviews.
    Didn't we have this discussion before? :confused:

Nero

• Advertisement

"ECW is what they call in the wrestling business: AN INDEPENDENT PROMOTION!!!

Not every f***ing promotion is WWE you know"

This guy cracks me up! He's like when Ben Stiller was in friends and he kept getting really angry at everything!

I know who he is, he's Ken Scamrock! He's in the zone THE ZONE AAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Originally posted by leonotron
    FWA is being vroadcast right now if your really interested, it's on a loop. You will have to follow directions on their website/forum to tune it in for now though.

Where is this site/forum? Can I have the addy please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Advertisement