Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo island to be linked to mainland by cable car

• 28-02-2004 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/02/27/story136177.html
    Mayo island to be linked to mainland by cable car
    27/02/2004 - 4:36:20 pm

The Minister for Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Eamon O’Cuív has given the go ahead for a cable car to be constructed between Inis Bigil, in County Mayo and the mainland.

The Minister has instructed Mayo County Council to proceed with contracts for the project.

The initiative has suffered a number of setbacks, however Minister O’Cuív, says he hopes the scheme can be moved on without further delay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Well they've certainly waited long enough-around 20 years I believe.

The currents around there can be treacherous. One of their residents (a very experienced seafarer) drowned last year and there have been a number of near fatalities. Hopefully improved accessibility will give the island community a new lease of life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

The cable car to Dursey Island off the Beara Peninsula had the opposite effect - people moved to the mainland because they could live there and still access their land on the island. I think I'm right in saying that the building of the brdige to Achill also caused or at least happened at the same time as a sharp fall in population for much the same reasons.

The Dursey cable car is also expensive to maintain, and at this stage every little bit of it has been replaced. But logic and learning from past mistakes has never been a feature of Irish policy on regional and rural development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I may as well decloak and admit that I was born and reared on the Achill island and came back to live here two years ago. :)

The sharp fall in population in Achill during the 19th century was largely due to to a combination of emigration and seasonal migration to Scotland/England that had commenced long before the building of the bridge in the 1880s. I am certainly unaware of any mass exodus to the mainland in the decades following its construction.

Advertisement