Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone recorder

• 28-02-2004 3:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a gadget to record phone calls (on my own phone!!!) and if so, how much would they set me back, and what is the set up on them (are they cassette, HD...??)

I assume Maplins sell something suitable, but just want to see where else etc.

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You can get a little attachment that fits onto the phone handset cord with a standard 3.5mm jack on the other end that you plug into any recorder you like.

link

Should be available in most electrical shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

AFAIR, it's illegal to record a phone conversation with someone else unless you inform them you are doing so. I'm not 100% certain about this but check it out before you go recording everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    AFAIR, it's illegal to record a phone conversation with someone else unless you inform them you are doing so.
    No it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by sceptre
    No it isn't.
    yep, it'd just be illegal to broadcast said recording without their say so.
    inadmissable as evidence in court as well afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cheradenine

Really, I also thought it was neccesary to warn the other half of the conversation, hence those "your conversation may be monitored/recorded for quality purposes etc.." warnings in small print on support lines.

I think tape recordings in court is a different thing, it's just not acceptable as solid evidence because it can be edited or tampered with, less to do with lacking someones consent to record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

they just tell you that as it will could be used (possibly) as evidence for some reason or another... theyre just covering themselves, basically.

Im doing journalism and one thing were told is that you have to ask permission to record a conversation/interview, or even write it down. it is not good practice for you to secretly record something and then use it as a source for a story... just like the whole off the record thing, its not fair to tell someone its off the record and then publish it, saying that, the likes of the sun ignore that 24/7.... anyway thats off topic.

thanks for the link there, seems quite handy i was kinda expecting to have to crack my phone open and start pissing about with wires etc.... would that work with a cordless phone?? it seems to say you have to put it into the handset...

Flogen

Advertisement