Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Daewoo Leganza - Bargain or Lemon?

Options
  • 28-02-2004 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks :)

Looking to change my car in the next few months and wondering if the above is decent or not. Budget is around €6-8k and since I'm getting to my late twenties (cough, 29, how'd hell did that happen :rolleyes: ) insurance isn't crazy, got quoted a grand for the 2.0l leganza.

For a nicely equiped car it seems very cheap with 99/00s coming in under budget. I presume this is because it's no longer made and Daewoos depreciate badly anyway so is someone elses loss my gain or are there reasons I should stay away from this car? (I know the timing belt/tensioner needs to be changed quite freqently).

I'll probably be doing around 15,000 miles a year with a daily roundtrip of 15 miles to work and at least one roundtrip a week of 160 miles down the country. Looking for something thats a comfortable cruiser on the motorway but isn't gonna cost me a fortune in running/maint costs.

(btw before anyone suggests an older bmw (mike65 I'm watching you ;) ) or something similar I have to park on-street where I live in Dublin city centre and much as I'd love something like that I'd be constantly paranoid about something happening to it. :( )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

my dad test drove one before and said it handled like a boat so be sure and get a drive before ya take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Bluehair
    Hi Folks :)

(btw before anyone suggests an older bmw (mike65 I'm watching you ;) )...

Nah I would suggest a beemer, buy one of these!

mer_190_evo2.JPG

You'd never sleep again :ninja:

Seriously, you dont have to buy a far-east horror for piece of mind. With 6-8k while looking for decent spec you should consider something like a Skoda Octavia where you'll have a very nice car which no-one will ever rob :) example - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=106107

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by mike65
    Nah I would suggest a beemer, buy one of these!

.. You'd never sleep again :ninja:

Not unless I slept IN the damn thing :D (and that spoiler would be like moths to a flame... :) )
    Originally posted by mike65
    Seriously, you dont have to buy a far-east horror for piece of mind. With 6-8k while looking for decent spec you should consider something like a Skoda Octavia where you'll have a very nice car which no-one will ever rob :) example - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=106107

Mike.

I must admit I do in fact like the Octavia though I've never driven one. What with the new one due out I suppose the residuals should take a hit though..

If I was gonna go Octavia though a mate has suggested the 1.9 tdi is the only way to go. Thing is in my budget it's inevitably gonna be a high mileage car and I'm a bit worried that I'll end up with some major work to do (esp as they are very popular in the taxi scene though my mate is convinced this is a good thing as those cars are serviced regularly).

Seems that with the Octavia its either a reasonable mileage 1.6 petrol or high mileage 1.9tdi.

Any thoughts then?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you are worried about residuals then stay well clear of the daewoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by kbannon
    if you are worried about residuals then stay well clear of the daewoo

Nooo what I meant was I'm hoping for bad residuals, I want to buy a decent 3 or 4 year old car where the previous owner has suffered most and I can get real value :D

That was one of the things that attracted me to the Daewoo originally, it's value has plummeted from new so is relatively a bargain.

Word seems to be well and truely out about the Octavia being a great car and residuals are holding up well (esp for the Tdi) whereas I'm hoping the new model will cause the older one to drop a bit. Thankfully there still seems to be enough people around put off by the Skoda name that they are bargains to be had if you can find them. :)

Still torn about 1.6 petrol or 1.9tdi diesel. I've driven the tdi Golf which I believe has the same engine and was quite impressed. Plus the mpg is damn good.

Does the old cliche that diesels go 'forever' have some truth though? Would a 100k+ miler be ok for my requirements or would a lower mileage petrol be better?

Any advice appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you are buying second hand then theres no guarantees that something might go wrong with a car. The chance increases with mileage. But that said theres nothing wrong with buying a car with high mileage if you know what you are doing. Personally I always get an AA check done on any car I buy. Even if its from a garage or dealer. If you want relaibilty then I suggested you get a Toyota, Honda, Mazda or a Subaru. But get a full check on the car if you don't know what you are doing.

There are lots of cheap cars but very few of them are bargains. Find the reason the car is cheap adn then see if you can live with that reason.

Personally I'd steer clear of the Daewoo, the Skodas I think are expensive. Sometimes you can get a deal on a SEAT. You do see the odd cheap Leon around. If you are going to be decent mileage (and it looks like you will) and if you think you'll have the car for a few years then diesel is certainly an option. But work out if the extra purchase cost, servicing (diesels need more frequent services) and higher tax and insurance (diesels generally bigger engined) than you'd have with a smaller engined petrol car actually saves you much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

if you go for the skoda 2nd hand try and get the SLX model, they really are a great build, Golf Chasis I think, its really just a rebadged VW Bora IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

I would choose the octavia petrol over the da-wha anyday (if on a budget that is). Try and get the higher spec rather than the basic model. The Octavia will be my next car for sure, having taken a few for a 'test drive' from various main dealers.
    If I was gonna go Octavia though a mate has suggested the 1.9 tdi is the only way to go. Thing is in my budget it's inevitably gonna be a high mileage car and I'm a bit worried that I'll end up with some major work to do (esp as they are very popular in the taxi scene though my mate is convinced this is a good thing as those cars are serviced regularly).

Not all taxi drivers look after their cars properly and service them according to the book.

Those cars with huge whale fin boot spoilers remind me of shopping trollies?:D
    Could come in handy if it needs a push....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    if you go for the skoda 2nd hand try and get the SLX model, they really are a great build, Golf Chasis I think, its really just a rebadged VW Bora IMO

While it shares the golf chassis and lots of other components, theres a lot thats different. For example the body shell and theres also the fact that interior of the Bora/Golf is a lot higher quality than the Octavia.

So its a bit more than swapping the badge. The Leon and the A3 also have the same chassis and other components.

Advertisement