Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Oasis or The Darkness

Options
  • 28-02-2004 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

with the recent events concerning the darkness and oasis id like to know what you people think. IMO the darkness are a talentless joke band taking the p*ss of themselves and everyone else. on the other hand oasis have proven themselves as a great rock 'n' roll band with some of the best albums ever and are still one of the best bands in the world. so a talentless joke band who will be forgotton in a few years or a great band who people will still be listening to for a long time? we will be hearing 'wonderwall' for years to come but we wont be hearing some whining freak going 'i believe in a thing called lllllooooooovvvvvveeeee'.

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I doubt very much you`ll be hearing Wonderwall that often anymore(meg matthews etc.)

In fairness its like compairing The Beatles to The Monkees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Neither,

If I'm going to be hearing Wonderwall for years to come I may as well end it all now...

I dislike both bands a lot, but to be fair, if I hear a Darkness song I don't go out of my way to not hear it. With Oasis, however, I go a running. they're so damn boring. Crap crap crap band! I can see the Darkness being for a while, and tbh, once I don't have to hear Oasis ever again, I'm more than happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

my personal preference - The Darkness ... this should be a pole

How can this even be a comparision, The Darkness have had one album(that ive heard) its catchy but not really on the same level as Oasis. Unless you`ve listened to both bands a fair bit, theres no point posting "OMG oAs1S are teh cack" type stuff

Some of the Oasis bside stuff is class, closest thing to modern day Lennon stuff.

I guess you either love them or hate em, but at least post something constructive. Listen to The Darkness in 10 years time and tell me how it compairs to "Defintely Maybe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

they're both ****e tbh

sorry just had to say it

• Advertisement

Thank you senor_fudge for taking 2mins away from your yahoo chat to tie up my misconceptions. If you have nothing to add to the thread, dont post. simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i didnt mean to offend you or anything its just what i think
    lets say i represent the grey area

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

IMO Oasis are THE band of the nineties. They had consistency that is paralled by all the other britpop bands.
    They are the type of rare band that come along with a sound so timeless and uplifting that at one time almost EVERYONE liked them. That can hardly be said for the darkness now can it?

Oasis have had the good grace to have always provided us with great b-side's, sacrificing possible single material. ie, stay young, take me away, underneath the sky, idler's dream, half the world away, shout it out loud, The masterplan, Flashbax. Very few, if any have a catalogue of not even album tracks of this quality.

You shouldn't judge a band on their most overplayed song ie, wonderwall, that's like judging The Beatles on 'yellow submarine' or something.

Oasis have suffered the backlash that all successful bands recieve but I urge people to make up their own minds about the issue and or hate oasis just coz it's cool, the same goes for liking the darkness.

This was posted as a debate, surely its alright for someone to say Oasis suck, in their opinion, if they give a valid reason?
    And for mine, I say they were too predictable and boring for my liking. Too bland if you will. IMO, of course! :)

(And THE band of the ninties was the Smashing Pumpkins ;) hehe)

Thats fine but saying "Oasis are shi*e' is hardly contributing to the discussion now is it?
    Your argument is fine, i'll accept that, don't just put words in my mouth. IMO Billy Corgan can only sing as well as an average crow, but they did have good songs.

• Advertisement

Anyone care to list some of these awfu boring Oasis songs?
    There are some dodgy ones, but in general they were easily the band of the 90`s, who appealed to a wide audience. Unlike Smashing Pumpkins, while a good band, didnt have the feel of the generation in the same way as Oasis did, Remember back in `95 when they had around 10 singles in the charts, and even your Granny could tell you which one was Liam and which was Noel. Along with this hype they had the music to back it up as the "biggest band in the world". That was until a less than great 3rd Album and it become fashional to slag them off.

"it become fashional to slag them off"

I agree here, 'after the first two albums they just got sh*t' has become one of the most overused clichés in the history of music.

I have friends that listen to Oasis, so while unable to name individual song names (apart from the really big ones everybody knows), I can say that I have heard each album several several times, and I find the albums bland and uninteresting. But tis just my point of view, this is a debate! :) Just because you think they were the best band of the ninties, doesn't mean I'm wrong for saying they're boring, and vie-versa. Most people are into simple catchy stuff, White Stripes, Coldplay, Travis, etc, i.e. most people would not sit down and listen to the musical genius and complexity of bands such as Liquid tension Experiment and Cynic, and thats fair enough.
    Remember back in `95 when they had around 10 singles in the charts, and even your Granny could tell you which one was Liam and which was Noel.

Chart success doesn't make a good band, in fact, the charts seem to permanently display the faults with the music world. ;)
    . IMO Billy Corgan can only sing as well as an average crow

Quality! Laughed my ass off! :D
    Can I ask what you think of Liam's singing?! :p "Mebeeh... I dun relleh wunneh knouh"

I admiitted the pumpkins had some great songs, but when it comes to Billy Corgan singing for example, a Zwan song, his lack of vocal ability is really shown up.

I also said that if you think they're boring then that's fine, i gave about about someone's argument that , oasis are shi*e.

p.s. don't assume that just because we like Oasis that doesn't mean that we can't appreciate something more complex also. I for one, can say that I definitely appreciate complex musical pieces.

As for Liam's singing, I do not think that anybody else could sing the oasis songs with the same power. He also can make other people's songs be seen in a whole new light of raw power, see cum on feel the noize, I am the walrus, my generation, street fighting man.

IS your definition of a boring song something with a slow beat? Please provide examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Both should be forced to fight with the loser burned at the stake and the winners...burned at the stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Oasis are just that MOR band that, musically just doesn't blow me away. They're uninventive and it's painfully obvious that they are trying to be the new Beatles. I also really dislike the Gallagher brothers for their attitude.

The Darkness, on the other hand, is the first time rock has been so fun in ages. The fact that they are taking the piss IS the best thing about them, they're able to capture the imagination. This has been lost for, what? 20 years?
    No point arguing with rock fans who like their music "nice and proper", but that's a shame, being swayed by the image and all...

The thing about Oasis is that in 1995-1997 they really did capture people's imagination. The Darkness in ten years is barely a plausible thought.

"they're uninventive and it's painfully obvious that they are trying to be the new Beatles"

Give me one Oasis song that sounds like any Beatles song. That's all i ask, and if your argument is solid give me ten examples.

Rock hasn't captured the imagination for twenty years??? Where do you get this?
    What about Blur, Radiohead, The Stone Roses, even the coral, REM, Nirvana, Pumpkins, G 'n' R.
    These bands not as good as the darkness, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

After reading what people are saying about Oasis i have to say that i agree with Bungalow Bill on alot of the things he has said.

Oasis were the best of the nineties. A great, timeless, talented rock band who just about everyone liked. But it would be pretty hard for them to maintain the huge popularity of circa 1995. But their music has not got worse.

I agree that nobody could sing and Oasis quite like Liam and he has brought new energy and excitment to classics of the past.

IMO there aren't many boring Oasis tracks, just great classics and albums. And when it comes to b-sides nobody beats the Gallaghers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i like them both but i see comparing them like comparing mozart with the cheeky girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I like both bands but I think the Darkness are being too blown up at the minute. I mean I think its a bit premature for them to be headlining Witnness/Oxegen. I'm not a fan of Bowie at all but at the end of the day he has worked to get where he is and must have about 10+ albums by now. The Darkness on the other hand have just the one album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Hey Mossy Monk, you never said which of them was Mozart and which was the Cheeky Girls. ;)

But that was the point I was gonna make. The two bands are from completely different areas of the whole rock thing. You can't really compare Formula One racing to baking a cake. (And I've no particular leaning to either band, by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    The thing about Oasis is that in 1995-1997 they really did capture people's imagination. The Darkness in ten years is barely a plausible thought.

Your missing the point. The "sillyness" and grandeur of rock and roll is what has been lost for 20 years, which bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Kiss etc. retained. Oasis could never capture the imagination like these bands could.

And how the hell do you know if The Darkness won't still be around in ten years? It's useless predicting the future.
    Give me one Oasis song that sounds like any Beatles song. That's all i ask, and if your argument is solid give me ten examples.

From what I have heard of Oasis, Liam tries to sing and write like John Lennon. For instance, the ends of "She's Electric" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" sound similar, the beginnings of "Imagine" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" sound the same, and "Champagne Supernova" sounds a lot like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The lyrics to the former even share similarities.

But don't end there; their style and haircuts are similar to The Beatles. They also believe they are just as good as The Beatles.

Most of the above is fact (even Noel has admitted to "borrowing" some of his songs from them) so you either lump it or dump it. Personally, if you're just looking for another Oasis record to sing along to, that's fine, but personally I want to listen to something a little more original or challenging.

em Liam does indeed try to sound like John Lennon, more so Johnny Rotten imo. Theres nothing wrong with building on previous greats, The Beatles themselves borrowed greatly on there previous generation, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Elvis et al

There are similarities between Oasis and the Beatles, but as someone once said "Good Borrows, Genius Steals" if it was so easy to just copy beatles songs we`d all be doing it

"From what I have heard of Oasis, Liam tries to sing and write like John Lennon. For instance, the ends of "She's Electric" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" sound similar, the beginnings of "Imagine" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" sound the same, and "Champagne Supernova" sounds a lot like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The lyrics to the former even share similarities."

None of those songs sound even vaguely similar! Yes the beginning of 'don't look back in anger' but that is just a small tribute and the riff is used nowhere else in the song.

"And how the hell do you know if The Darkness won't still be around in ten years? It's useless predicting the future"

Eh....the fact that most people see them as a joke novelty band is partly the reason!
    And I didn't say it for definite i said it was barely plausible, given the silliness of their act.

"Your missing the point. The "sillyness" and grandeur of rock and roll is what has been lost for 20 years, which bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Kiss etc. retained. Oasis could never capture the imagination like these bands could."

Now your comparing the darkness to Led Zeppelin??? And forgive us if we don't like our music 'silly'.

From what I have heard of Oasis, Liam tries to sing and write like John Lennon. For instance, the ends of "She's Electric" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" sound similar, the beginnings of "Imagine" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" sound the same, and "Champagne Supernova" sounds a lot like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The lyrics to the former even share similarities.

These Oasis tracks have "borrowed" riffs etc. from Beatles tracks. the intro to 'Don't Look Back In Anger' and the final riff of 'Shes Electric'. But they are not excessivly used and couldn'r really be classed as ripoffs.
    But don't end there; their style and haircuts are similar to The Beatles. They also believe they are just as good as The Beatles.

Quite simply their haircuts dont matter. It's the music that counts.

IS your definition of a boring song something with a slow beat? Please provide examples.

God no. I like as many slow tracks as I do up-tempo tracks.

My definition of a boring song: unimaginative and uninteresting, linear, and predictable. Generally a song that doesn't please my ears or my mind due to the aforementioned reasons. You seem to be unable to accept the fact that I can describe Oasis in the same manner. It's all down to opinion, get over it. You love them, well done, have a cracker.

My definition of a boring song: unimaginative and uninteresting, linear, and predictable. Generally a song that doesn't please my ears or my mind due to the aforementioned reasons. You seem to be unable to accept the fact that I can describe Oasis in the same manner. It's all down to opinion, get over it. You love them, well done, have a cracker.

It is all down to opinion ultimately yes. But what i have a problem with is the large amount of people who liked Oasis in 1995/6, but started saying that they became sh*t after Be Here Now because it became popular to think that. They are just following the flock, the flock of sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Be Here Now is not a bad album at all. much better than a lot of the **** going around atm

Originally posted by isthisit
    It is all down to opinion ultimately yes. But what i have a problem with is the large amount of people who liked Oasis in 1995/6, but started saying that they became sh*t after Be Here Now because it became popular to think that. They are just following the flock, the flock of sheep.

People do that in regards to all of life aspects. Just look at Man Utd, Ferrari, etc... They are sheep, and deserve to be burnt at the stake. And then eaten, with a fine curry sauce, yummy! :D
    People who change their opinions to fit in with someone elses need to have their legs broken! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

What are yous doing you cant possibly have this debate yet Oasis have been around for ages and have a huge reputation while The Darkness have just came along a while ago. There in to different leagues at the moment.

Advertisement