Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Oasis or The Darkness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

So a more accurate description would be "The later singles are a bit boring and uniteresting". Otherwise it osunds like you are saying the Darkness were once mega sweet and somehow lost their way. Which even if the later singles are boring, doesn't hold true. However in 2 or 3 years when they're releasing George Michael covers it will make more sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

they wont exist in three years.
    their earlier singles were alrite but not great and they have got worse. and the album was disappointing.

My God, I can see what you're trying to see when you add all the posts together, but your use of the English language is so childish its impossible to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Libertine

B*witched are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

B*witched are good

I seriously hope your taking the piss.

I agree with isthisit on The Darkness not being around for to long. I just think there songs sound to similar and Justin Hawkins voice is so annoying that people will just lose interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"My God, I can see what you're trying to see when you add all the posts together, but your use of the English language is so childish its impossible to comprehend."

This is so far off topic and is a really petty thing to say. Get a life.

This thread is so absurd I was just ripping the píss, if you can manage to remove your head from your colon....

And for the record, telling people, over the internet, to get a life, is probably as low as it can go. But I'm saying that over the internet so it doesn't mean jack shít, but just so ya know for future reference, it makes you look like a retard.

It was in relation to his his pettiness on the issue and was a figure of speech (as you probably already know)

I'm not getting into trading insults. Let's quit the thread here, yeah?

You were talking about me, duh.

As hard as it may be to accept, its all down to opinion, and many valid and solid reasons have been put forward as to why Oasis aren't liked by people with taste and so on and so forth. (In saying that I am no more condescending than your post to Giblet when you mistakenly thought he liked Metallica...). This thread is pointless, its all down to opinion.

And mine is teh rox0r. :p

LOCK THIS THREAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Drink a bottle of oasis in the darkness. Then kiss and make up. ;)

• Advertisement

Don't you start! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Way. 1 point to the f®eak.

Oasis aren't liked by people with taste

Who says Oasis fans don't have taste.

Me, but thats beyond the point. (Just messing about there, if you read the earlier posts you'd see I know people who love them). The reason I said that was because Bungalow Bill got all high and mighty about how he clearly has a better taste in music when he (mistakenly) thought someone who'd posted here liked Metallica. Was just adopting a similar, yet less abrasive, approach just for the sake of it. Jeez. Did you only read the last post or something?

Oasis had a few decent if not entirely original songs, but my problem with them is that a generation of guitarists think it's acceptable to be that poor a musician. Somehow they've convinced thousands of guitarists that you only need the same five notes in every meandering, meaningless solo and that it's "artisitic, man", that having dreadful technique and no comprehesion of music theory is a good thing. Well that's just wrong dammit.

"...a generation of guitarists think it's acceptable to be that poor a musician. Somehow they've convinced thousands of guitarists that you only need the same five notes in every meandering, meaningless solo and that it's "artisitic, man", that having dreadful technique and no comprehesion of music theory is a good thing. Well that's just wrong dammit."

The thing is about Oasis, which has already been stated, is that their guitar ability is not what they are about. The phenonemal thing about Noel and to an extent Liam, is their ability to write great songs within their musical limits.
    Also with guitar solo's most bands simply DO use the same five notes in their solo's, ie. The pentatonic scale unless it's a blues song or something, that is certainly not restricted to oasis.
    While their solo's may not be 20 notes a second they are certainly not meandering and meaningless. If you listen to any Oasis solo it will come to a definite climax as the phrase reaches a head.
    I agree that it's unfortunate that knowledge of musical theory isn't rewarded but that's the way pop or rock is these days and again is not restricted to Oasis.

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    The thing is about Oasis, which has already been stated, is that their guitar ability is not what they are about. The phenonemal thing about Noel and to an extent Liam, is their ability to write great songs within their musical limits.
    Also with guitar solo's most bands simply DO use the same five notes in their solo's, ie. The pentatonic scale unless it's a blues song or something, that is certainly not restricted to oasis.
    While their solo's may not be 20 notes a second they are certainly not meandering and meaningless. If you listen to any Oasis solo it will come to a definite climax as the phrase reaches a head.
    I agree that it's unfortunate that knowledge of musical theory isn't rewarded but that's the way pop or rock is these days and again is not restricted to Oasis.

Their solos are nothing but meandering and meaningless. Nobody has said a solo should be 20 notes per second. A solo should embellish the song in the same way lyrics and vocal melody do, otherwise it shouldn't be there at all. The vast majority of Oasis songs which feature a solo feature a meandering meaningless solo drawn from the pentatonic minor scale. The same scale is the staple of blues music. yet Oasis make these same 5 notes sound insipid and dull, whereas Clapton, Young, King, Collins, Gallagher (Rory) etc etc can make the same five notes tell a story. If you listen to an Oasis solo, you'll notice they sound largely the same. That's got nothing to do with songwriting, it's just poor guitar technique. As for their songs, the last great one the "wrote" was on the second album. They've been just going through the numbers since then. Three dull albums + one good one and one OK one does not mean they have saved pop music.

"The same scale is the staple of blues music. yet Oasis make these same 5 notes sound insipid and dull"

No it isn't the blues use a special 'blues scale'. Do you know about music theory??

"..As for their songs, the last great one the "wrote" was on the second album"

why is wrote in inverted commas???
    And some of their more recent work easily compared to the first two albums and this is widely recignised. 'Stop crying your heart out', 'f0cking in the bushes', 'Born on a different cloud', 'd'ye know what I mean', 'Fade in out', ' better man', i could go on. It's a matter of opinion. But the 'meandering solo's thing thing is simply not true. If you actually listen to them they come to an obvious climax and the reaction off crowds mean that they certainly are effective.

By the way, who said they saved pop music, we're just saying that they are a really good band.

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    "The same scale is the staple of blues music. yet Oasis make these same 5 notes sound insipid and dull"

No it isn't the blues use a special 'blues scale'. Do you know about music theory??

"..As for their songs, the last great one the "wrote" was on the second album"

why is wrote in inverted commas???
    And some of their more recent work easily compared to the first two albums and this is widely recignised. 'Stop crying your heart out', 'f0cking in the bushes', 'Born on a different cloud', 'd'ye know what I mean', 'Fade in out', ' better man', i could go on. It's a matter of opinion. But the 'meandering solo's thing thing is simply not true. If you actually listen to them they come to an obvious climax and the reaction off crowds mean that they certainly are effective.

By the way, who said they saved pop music, we're just saying that they are a really good band.

Yes I do, I've been playing for over 15 years, I'm currently playing in a blues band, playing blues music at blues gigs to people who know about the blues, thanks. There is nothing 'special' about the pentatonic minor scale.

"wrote" is in inverted commas because unlike rappers who credit where they got their samples from, Oasis claim they wrote riffs and melodies which are clearly ripped off. (point in case being the second song on the last album, Iggy Pop wouldn't give them clearance to sample the drum beat which provides the intro so they got the same drum machine he used and programmed in exactly the same beat, is that not ripping off?)

As for their solos being effective, I never disputed that, didn't I make that clear by stating they had influenced a generation of guitarists?

Look, you like Oasis, I think they're ok, if vastly overrated. I have all the albums, saw a couple of gigs. They're ok. However, I think there are many, many other bands who have done greater things and written better songs, if not with the same success. Westlife are more successful than Oasis, and the Westlife crowd go mad when the lads dance to a climax. Popularity means little.

Blur wrote better songs (excluding Country House) and were vastly more original and creative, for a close example. Before you wet yourself, let me point out I'm not saying Blur are the best band ever, I'm saying that they were a better band than Oasis. Better musicians, better songs. They may not be/have been as successful as Oasis, but the songs are there for all to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I am a big Oasis fan but they have definitely lost their way. Noel lost it as soon as he gave up taking drugs (after Be Here Now tour ended). All the confidence and enthuasism vanished and he became old and boring. He stopped believeing they were the best band in the world. I think Liam still has the spirit but Noel is just a boring old fart approaching his 40's.

As for the Darkness, I hate them with a passion. A total rip-off of Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've just seen this thread now. I've not read through it all but let me just say this to clarify exactly what this thread is comparible to

Question: Who's better. Britney Spears or Slayer

:rolleyes:

For the love of f*cking god!!! It's trying to compare two COMPLETELY different musical styles and saying which is superior.

Who's Britney and who's Slayer? ;)

Britney all the way!

Didn't Robbie Williams used to be in Slayer?

Nah Robbie was in Malevolent Creation, it's Gary Barlow you're thinking of.

Bah! Knew I was close....! :D

Slayer jeez they can go suck a monkeys ass

here cumon now.
    slayer were sh*t and you people know it.
    oasis has definetely not lost it. HelterSkelter talks like taking drugs is good. It has nothing to do with anything. Liam and Noel have calmed down a bit in recent years but they have not lose enthusiasm for rock n roll and they're prefectly aware that they're the best band in the world (even if they're not the biggest).If they lost any enthusiasm they wouldn't make any more albums, and their next one (expected in september) promises to be their best in years.
    i agree the darkness are crap.

Careful now! Down with this sort of thing!

In the spirit yourself and mister bungalow bill have portrayed throughout the thread, where are your constructive points as to why
    slayer were sh*t and you people know it.
    Surely this needs to be backed up by some valid claim and not just be a wild accusation because you yourself don't like them. Enkeeping with the spirit of this thread, of course.

• Advertisement

i was simply expressing an opinion and stating the obvious.

Advertisement