Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Oasis or The Darkness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by isthisit
    Einstürzende

oasis are the best band in the world. and i notice that in your comments me being a hypocrite you have not given a reason why slayer are good, why oasis arent or any quotes from where i said something that is the opposite of something else i said. your argument has no foundation at all-you have not shown any evidence to what you have said.

We have both in previous posts given reasons as to why we think what we do about Oasis, you have continually said somethign along the lines of "they're great", whatever, fair enough, while I have pointed out reasons I think they are shít. Also fair enough.

They may be one of the most popular bands int he world, it is however impossible to define the best band in the world, and I'm sure if it could be done it would not be Oasis. (For reasons read my earlier posts).

What I am getting at is that you take offence when people say Oasis suck and give no reasoning (and even if they do you still dont accept it!), yet with absolutely no basis or reasoning whatsoever you are allowed to take shots at Slayer. That is hypocritical. Its a double standard. That is where the problem lies, not in the fact that you don't like Slayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    As the facts proved Oasis are one of the most successful bands of all time. ...

Only in the UK. I still say all they do is Beatles cover songs that are rehashed over and over. Its so boring. Pretty odd the're not in that last since the're so grate. They grate on my nerves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    ... I still say all they do is Beatles cover songs that are rehashed over and over. Its so boring......

Well if that is your argument then I shall ask that you regurgitate your overused clichés somewhere else as you are wrong. What more can I say?

Fact is Oasis have never given a Beatles cover a major release, ie Album track or Single so what your saying is utter tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

when i say oasis are great that is my opinion and when people say they dont like them that is their opinion. everyone has a right to express an opinion and at no point did i say they are not. i accept that some people like oasis and some people dont and everyone is allowed to think what they like.

Originally posted by isthisit
    when i say oasis are great that is my opinion and when people say they dont like them that is their opinion. everyone has a right to express an opinion and at no point did i say they are not. i accept that some people like oasis and some people dont and everyone is allowed to think what they like.

That is true but the facts state that Oasis have had phenomenal success and consistently. Not only have they been liked by the common man but critics have hailed some of their work as great too!
    When we say that Oasis are one of the Greatest bands ever, we are not lying!
    Yes it is our opinion but facts are facts.
    If you don't like them, then so be it, but there are certan things you cannot deny.

And drop the Slayer thing, he's not being hypocritical, he just rubbbished them as an aside as it was completely off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

yes lets drop the slayer thing , it has nothing to do with the thread

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    That's because his argument isn't about Oasis, nor The Darkness, or Slayer, but really just to prove what a moron you are. Haven't you noticed that yet?

I'm still waiting patiently for YOU to give the reason why "Slayer are shít". Then maybe the slightest areas in your "Oasis r great" posts may have the tiniest lick of merit.

Isthisit: Have you read this post? FS has hit the nail on the head. It has NOTHING to do with SLAYER, it is to do with YOU... THINK logically about the posts and maybe you will see.

Well if that is your argument then I shall ask that you regurgitate your overused clichés somewhere else as you are wrong. What more can I say?

Fact is Oasis have never given a Beatles cover a major release, ie Album track or Single so what your saying is utter tripe.

You can always ask. Which clichés in particular are you objecting to?

You think I meant Beatles covers literally! Thats 2 funny. :D

Fact is lots of people loathe Oasis. Thats a fact.

You can always ask. Which clichés in particular are you objecting to?

You think I meant Beatles covers literally! Thats 2 funny. :D

Fact is lots of people loathe Oasis. Thats a fact.

The 'oasis just copy the beatles' cliché is the one I was referring to. This comment wasn't backed up or anything.
    I'm sure you'll bring up the beginning of 'don't look back...' but that is simply a tribute, not a rip off. It doesn't feature in the song further and the song would be the same without it.

Here's your chance big shot.

How have Oasis ever ripped off The Beatles???

Fact is lots of people loathe Oasis.

Thats a nothing point, loads of people loath I dunno Elvis, The Eagles, doesn't mean they weren't great.

• Advertisement

Without getting into numbers of fans or records sold (cuz lets face it, theres alot of people who are only exposed to 'whats hip'), what defines 'great'?

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Without getting into numbers of fans or records sold (cuz lets face it, theres alot of people who are only exposed to 'whats hip'), what defines 'great'?

Well longevity has to be an issue.

The ( i know this is arguable) quality of the work.

If combined with massive success, this too can be a factor.

Critical acclaim.

I can hardly believe that you are asking isthisit to defend Slayer!
    HAve you heard them?
    Their riffs are almost all played on the bottom two strings.
    This is before the 'singer' begins to shout his way through silly lyrics. Album title 'God hates us all'.
    Aaaaah we're really rich but still angry!!Really we are!!!

Who asked him to defend them? He was asked to give his reasons for saying "Slayer are shít" when noone is allowed say it about Oasis without giving reasons. It was purely on the basis of the favourtist hypocirsy displayed.

God Hates Us All was a pretty terrible album, as a fan I can and will admit to that.

The riffs only drive the songs, its the drumming and the solos that make Slayer the force they are, before I get shot down, this is of course only my opinion. But as a drummer I love Slayer, and their songs hold an appeal to me, (and I can alos point out that its more than likely the top 2 strings you refer to), they are interesting to people who enjoy listening to good musicians within the metal genre, and the band have put out some of the best metal albums ever.

And Tom Ayra's a vocalist, not a singer! :D

See, that was objective, as to why I like Slayer (and I even admit to their last album sucking balls!), my problem with isthisit was his blatnat "Slayer are shít" with no reasoning, yet when its said about Oasis he doesn't take kindly to it. Slayer have been around longer, sold millions of records, and have legions of fans. By the basis for what has defined Oasis as 'great' throughout this thread then surely Slayer can be considered great too?! :) (Hehe, that just HAD to be done!)

But as said, this isn't about Slayer, its about the double standards and poor attitude isthisit displayed.

Thats a nothing point, loads of people loath I dunno Elvis, The Eagles, doesn't mean they weren't great.

So if you haven't sold lots of records then you're not great?
    Critical Aclaim - from who?
    Longevity - how long?
    Of course by those criteria Slayer are also great?

Oasis have one sound. Theres no variation in what they do. They found a beatles like sound, then repeated ad nausem. They don't have to copy a song note for note to be copying someone else. Its mind numbingly boring. Its like fast food music. Theres no originality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Add to the fact that Slayer have been successfully professional for over 20 years, have sold over 3,528,005 albums in the USA alone since 1991 and this 'Slayer are ****' arguement falls apart at it's ignorant seams, based on the criteria given for Oasis being a great band. Slayer were innovaters of a new form of music, albeit an extreme form of music. Oasis just draw heavily on the music which went before them. Who's to say which is ****? It's all down to personal taste. Would there be an Oasis if there wasn't a Beatles? I wouldn't think so. Anyone can borrow from the past and rehash it. It takes skill and commitment to forge your own channel and create new music. Without innovators like Slayer and the Beatles music would be in a very sorry state indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

/me does a little smug dance

I don't have a problem with cover versions as long as they add a new take to the original song. Or if someone wants to take and someones else established style and develop it. I don't see that kinda progression in what Oasis are going. Therefore I don't see them as a "great" band. Popular, yes. If someone likes them fair enough. But one of the greatest bands ever. No. Definately not.

So if you haven't sold lots of records then you're not great?
    Critical Aclaim - from who?
    Longevity - how long?
    Of course by those criteria Slayer are also great?

Oasis have one sound. Theres no variation in what they do. They found a beatles like sound, then repeated ad nausem. They don't have to copy a song note for note to be copying someone else. Its mind numbingly boring. Its like fast food music. Theres no originality.

I ask you for examples and you bring out the same vague as hell argument as before! Come on man back it up.....with facts:p

If you had ever listened to The Beatles you would know that they sound nothing like Oasis. THe Beatles had loads of clever funny songs about silly things, e.g. Octopuses garden, Rocky Racoon, Old brown shoe, Lucy in the sky, piggies, maxwell silver hammer etc.

What I'm trying to say is they sounded very sixties. Oasis have a very different style of singer in Liam, they have a far more 'rock' sound to their music.

But anyway, whats you reasons for saying they are similar???

Please, if you can, provide examples of these "mind numbingly boring" songs instead of as usual just saying something with no basis whatsoever.

"All around the world, gotta spread the word... etc etc"

How many damn times is that line repeated in that wretched song? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

I don't think Oasis are a great band ... but they released a "great" album : Definately Maybe .... , after that everything they've released .... everything has been progressively worse .... if they were never heard of again we wouldn't be any worse off.

Originally posted by Doctor J
    "All around the world, gotta spread the word... etc etc"

How many damn times is that line repeated in that wretched song? :p

Just for you Doctor J they did a reprise aswell!!

Didn't the Beatles do reprises 30 years before Oasis? ;)

Didn't the Beatles do reprises 30 years before Oasis? ;)

Yes it's called a tribute, I know you said it messing but someone like ricardosmith will attribute Be here Now's success to this 'Rip-off'!

I wouldn't call it a tribute. I'd say it was a band running out of ideas putting the bucket back into the well ;)

I think what the gist of it all is is this: Oasis had some great songs, but, overall, their sound was generally derivative and after a bright start the quality of their output has faded. This prevents them from being recognised as a truly great band. I think that's fair. Plus, their success was extremely localised and they rode the crest of the Britpop wave. This, again, would prevent them from being recognised as a great band.

In my opinion, they were a good band. Now they seemingly have little else to offer. Not great though, no way.

I wouldn't call it a tribute. I'd say it was a band running out of ideas putting the bucket back into the well ;)

I think what the gist of it all is is this: Oasis had some great songs, but, overall, their sound was generally derivative and after a bright start the quality of their output has faded. This prevents them from being recognised as a truly great band. I think that's fair. Plus, their success was extremely localised and they rode the crest of the Britpop wave. This, again, would prevent them from being recognised as a great band.

In my opinion, they were a good band. Now they seemingly have little else to offer. Not great though, no way.

Doctor J has said it far better than I could have.

The Beatles have some fairly rocked out versions of their songs too. Especially live. They weren't adverse to an overdriven amp here and there at all. But one of the things that made them great was the diversity of styles that they used and the wide variety of material that they could write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

well put .....

Still wating for those examples Ricardo!! Or is it that you cannot provide any??

The reprise is hardly an example of a band running out of ideas! It is a small tribute that had little to no significance.

Are you saying the Strokes album cover rip off of 'smell the glove' is because they couldn't think of anything else??
    It's a stupid argument.

Don't get me wrong The Beatles are my favourite band of all time and I don't think Oasis are even in their league, then again though, I don't think anybody is.
    This is why I know what I'm talking about. Oasis do not sound like the beatles! I don't see where this is coming from! The Beatles had so much harmonies, so much more lead guitar, country influences, indian influences, completely different vocalists, were in to concept albums, had bits of french in their songs, funny songs, silly songs, werent even a 5 piece. I mean none of this applies to Oasis. Oasis are anthemic predominantly rock band.
    Contrary to what people assume they are certainly not stuck ina rut either. Other band members are now writing songs and some good ones too, see Born on a different cloud, better man, thankyouforthegoodtimes, hung in a bad place. Some really good tracks.

I will agree that sotsog was a poorer effort than the other albums but hell if they hadn't wasted so many great tracks as b-sides it would have been class! Flashbax, idler's dream, Aquiesce(sp*), take me away, stay young.

Why the fck isn't Eminem slammed for literally stealing a sample, and just rapping during the verses? Surely this is far worse than a band doing a reprise on an album??

And as for not moving forward. Has anybody heard Slayer's last album??Utter tripe at best. And as for Metallica another supposed great band. St anger anybody??WTF was that?

Surley A band like the Coral are far more guilty of stealing the beatles sound ??? no? because I think are. See the similarities between things we said today and pass it on by the coral. Now that is ripping off.

Whats the point in talking about other bands, the thread topic is (in board terms) "Oasis is a great band". Theres no need to talk about anyone else.

What examples do you want. I'm saying that the Oasis sound is highly derivitive of the Beatles. I'm not going to analyse it note by note with you, phrase by phrase thats just stupid. I'm not saying that Oasis rehash Yellow Submarine on every album for Petes sake!

Doctor J post sums it up nicely. Theres nothing more to add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Jaysis this has turned into some amount of crap, anyone willing to show me the songs where Oasis rip off The Beatles. if they do it so often there must be at least 5-6

Advertisement