Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Blaster :(

• 28-02-2004 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

shutdown in 10 secs...

HELP?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

start/run shutdown -a

that aborts the shutdown deelio... try that next time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

only bought a 56k today till my dsl is installed in a few weeks, crappy win xp pro...

had it on 10 mins and i have the shutdown warning

i put that command into my comp after it rebooted for about the 5th time there, will that stop it from ever happening again yeh?

or do i need a permanent fix?

[edit - and on a sidenote i havent used a 56k in years, oh my god only used it now for about 30 mins, forgot just how frustrating these feckin things are! roll on eircom dsl..]

ok still getting those warnings coming up i see :(

2 mins after i posted that post, where can i get a permanent fix ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

oops

that command stops it from restarting when that box comes up informing you that your computer is about to restart.
    type it in when that box appears to temporarily stop it.

search microsoft.com for the patch & symantec.com for the removal tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Whoever doesnt protect themselfs form the BLAST @ this late stage deserves to get it, dont you use a firewall even the one XP Pro uses protects against that.

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

thanks joe :(

how do i use the firewall with xp then?

i just connected to inet to look at a few things and i got the shutdown warning, i HAD though that service pack 1 had fixed these problems hence i didnt get a firewall, besides ive not had inet in my house for 7 months, the five minutes i was on was hardly enough time to d/l anything on this crappy modem! jesus it was struggling to d/l a webpage in that time never mind d/l a program :p

so what do i have to d/l then?

i just get the shutdown warning (RPC thingy) i thought that was blaster ? or am i mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Start>Run Services.msc

From here find "remote call procedure (RPC)" (not the locator one). Double click on it and go to the recovery tab, set the options at the top to restart the service if it crashes.

Then get yourself a firewall lad! I wholeheartedly recommend kerio as the best free firewall. Never had any problems with it.

(Just a FYI: it contains advanced features that time out after 30 days if you don;t buy it, but the firewall itself remains fully functional, and imo is the best one around).

And just some advice on when you set up kerio... Deny all incoming connections to important stuff like SVChost and windows networking, but you can allow outgoing ones if want. (Svchost HAS to be able to create outgoing connections)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Blaster is by far the biggest WinXp problem. An unprotected (firewall and routerless) winxp going online is down in minutes because of it. When I check my router logs about 20% are port 135 scans.

It's a shame that there isn't more publicity about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

i had the same problem when i installed xp sp1 for first time...

twas unbelievable just how fast it attacked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its because the ISP`s are infected, think theyd warn you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

My brothers pc had the same prob.....Just run windows auto updates and it will fix your pc

Originally posted by bizmark
    My brothers pc had the same prob.....Just run windows auto updates and it will fix your pc

youll find that hard when your pc keeps rebooting, i got rid of it now anyway so thanks lads :)

got zonealarm and that seems to do the job grandios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Oddly enough my bros pc stoped Rebooting when i was downloading from mircosoft

Might be because i was useing Esat broadband and he was useing eircom dial up or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I got stuck at home over christmas with a clean install of 2k+sp1, no service packs, patches or av software. Eventually after numerous attempts (and a blaster infestation everytime I dialed up), I managed to get a copy of ZoneAlarm downloaded along with Symantec's Blaster removal tool (~ 135Kb).

I'd suggest ZoneAlarm (or another similar PersonalFirewall) and a free antivirus scanner (AVG or similar). The the blaster hits were coming in over 135 every 30 seconds or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i downloaded the removal tool when i heard people were getting it and when i got it (damm kazza) i was luckily prepared and then got zone alarm to protect myself in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Letting an unpatched Win2k/XP machine access the internet without patches, av software and a firewall is the computing equivalent of tethering your testicles to a large firework and lighting the yellow touch paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

heard something like this before:

"surfing the net with xp home is like leaving your C-class sports coupé running with its doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition"

Advertisement