Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free hosting - best to use?

Options
  • 28-02-2004 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok since the web hosting forum is closed I'm posting this here. I'm currently doing up a site for a small convention being held by friends of mine and since they don't have any real money behind it they're looking to host it for free.

I've never dealt with free hosting before and just wondering if anyone can recommend any particular site to go to - the less pop-up ads and annoying **** the better.

The site is going to be pretty basic - just text and graphics really, no interactivity to speak of.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well boards gives users a small amount of web space would that be enough?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I used to use Portland for free hosting, as it had PHP, cgi-bin etc which I needed at the time. The server is very slow though.

What about the space that comes free with an ISP account like Eircomnet or IOL? They don't have popups (though don't have PHP, etc either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

www.netfirms.com

that will sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by the Guru
    www.netfirms.com

that will sort you out

Free?

www.freehost.ie offer a years hosting with domain for 35e + VAT which ain't bad.

Otheriwse I use eircom.net webspace and if ya want you could buy a domain for about $10/year which resolve to your webspace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 neptune

Otheriwse I use eircom.net webspace and if ya want you could buy a domain for about $10/year which resolve to your webspace.

can you tell me how to do that, eircom free users can get a webpage at
    homepage.eircom.net/~yourusername if i registerd a domain www.whatever.com
    would my website then be www.whatever.com/~username or can you get it to
    be the root. Also what would happen if the user clicked a link would the real
    address or the domain name show up in the address bar of the browser?

can you also setup email addresses @whatever.com to point to an existing email
    acount at eircom or oceanfree or somewhere how does it know which computer
    the mail server is on.

im clueless about theese kind of things thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A number of companies offer domain registration with URL and email redirects. Basically you can setup the domain to point to your free webspace on Eircom or similar and have your mail forwarded elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you register a domain name then it is yours (renewable annually).
    This domain will point towards space on a particular computer. When someone types www.whatever.com they are brought to this space.
    If you pay for webspace then you get various things including email support (you@whatever.com), and possibly database support, etc.. Any requests for www.whatever.com are like most other sites - it appears as normal.
    If you go for one of the free hosts then you will just be re-directing users who type www.whatever.com to www.eircon.net/~whatever. Many of the free hosts also have a from of advert associated with your site (banner, pop-up, etc.).
    It is also possible to have you@whatever.com diverted to another address.
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/faq/howto_guide.asp?isc=&se=%2B&from%5Fapp=&prog%5Fid=GoDaddy
    HTH
    Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 neptune

another question
    do domain registration companies allow you to
    change your mx records to point to any mail server on the internet?

does anyone know somewhere that does

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It can be done via a lot of the registrars control panels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement