Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very strange problem...

• 28-02-2004 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Since last week I have been having this very strange problem. Whenever I star programs of any sort I get an error message like '(program opened) has caused an error in (name of file.exe or whatever) (program opened) will now close. If you continue to experience this problem try restarting your computer.'
    T first I thought it was just a problem with some games for example Call of Duty(when I click join a game in mp) and Championship Manager03/04 (when i start it up) but now it has happened in QuickTime when I tried to start it. All these things have worked before and I have no idea what has happened. It all started when I reinstalled win xp pro on the system it was working fine until the 30 day activation period ended and it asked for an activation key. I put it in but it was not accepted so I searched the web for a program to disable the activation and found one that seemed to do the trick. When i tried to run call of duty and another program called All Seeing Eye(also worked fine before) neither worked. I thought the crack program had messed it up but the problem had been there before I had downloaded the crack which made me think that when teh activitaion thingy had come up it had disabled programs or something. To be sure I decided to install windows ME. After reformatting the hdd, loading up ME and installing drivers and stuff I was annoyed to find the problem was still there. I have run out of ideas at this point.
    My system is an oldish Dell Dimension 8100 with a p4 1.5ghz, radeon 9600, 384mb of rambus ram, 40 gb hdd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK sound like a software problem, if the same is happening in both XP Pro & ME, there must be something wrong somewhere is the software your installing warz, does this error start after you install a particular program. It sounds like a problem caused by either a driver conflict or a software error. I would reinstall XP Pro, PM me for a serial, then install only licenced software to begin with and see if your getting the same error.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by joePC
    OK sound like a software problem, if the same is happening in both XP Pro & ME, .....
    This could point to a hardware problem like bad ram either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

or worst...memory controller gone kaput :( == new mobo.

happened to me. pc would keep bsod-ing on anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Kaimera
    or worst...memory controller gone kaput :( == new mobo.

happened to me. pc would keep bsod-ing on anything really.

Now that would be very rare I'd imagine.

Advertisement