Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What OS for a server?

Options
  • 29-02-2004 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm going to be updating a server and clients at work.

Currently the server is running Win NT4 Workstation with about 7 95/98/XP clients. I'm changing 3 of the clients to Win XP but I was wondering what the best option for the server OS is?

Can you create a secure network requiring logins, etc under Win XP Pro? Or do I go to Win 2003? The server acts as a file server at the moment, but I was hoping to turn it into a domain controller also, doling out IP addresses as machines connect to it, etc

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

So its going to be a DHCP server and a File Server, if it was me id be using Linux, better in the 3 main issues here
    Secuirty
    Performance
    Price

If not then id go with 2000/2k3, just make sure you know what your doing when installed them and make them as efficient as possible.

Bu seriously, linux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I'd have Linux in there like a shot if I could.

Problem is, we use networked software that's Windows based. It's built around MS Access and even running at its best, its flaky enough. And given the grief that I've had with it over the past number of years, I'd rather not have to tackle it again.

I know about Samba, etc - I have a Linux network setup in another location at work and its brill - replaced Novell with Linux and its much better.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well like you mentioned you could use samba, at a site I admin we use network access based software, but it just relies on a central location with the databases stored there (samba), if you were using MS Sever it would be serving the same purpose. Maybe the Server editions are a bit overkill for a small network. You can use software to perform dhcp tasks etc. even use a router to do this.

Only the server editons will allow you to create a domain which will allow logins etc. Maybe it can be donw with winxp pro but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Does PAM SMB allow you to do this for NT Logins based off a Linux domain server?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DHCP - you could use a small router to do this - there are also freeware apps to do this too - good excuse to get ADSL in ?

BTW: XP PRO doesn't always run login scripts and XP HOME has had this feature disabled - so if you aren't using XP pro then no point in getting an OS that is used as a Domain controller.

Windows Server will allow software mirroring - but hardware RAID / Mirroring is better - so you can ignore that.

Cost is a factor of course.

If you expect to grow past 10 users - check out the maximum number of connections to XP PRO - I have a hunch it's less than are allowed to connect to NT workstation ..

While 2003 is a lot more secure (less holes) than NT/2K you will still have IE6 on it - so not very much more secure than older versions.

[Edit] missed a negative

Oh yeah - you also may need to buy client access licenses if you get a windows server OS (depends on how many come with it - 5 or 10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

xp pro has a 10 user limit
    Nt workstation has a sujested limit of eight , im have run 12 no problem ,
    you cannot run more than 10 on xp pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

for stability and reliability, Linux is the way forward. (nearly) Everything you could possibly need is available for free. If you don't know linux, and can't use it, just request someone's help to set it up and run through the basics, but it is by far the most stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Debian.

Sadly life isn't always that easy though, if you need Windows software on your server, then I'd sugest getting that software running on one server and letting a Linux box or 10 handle the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, FreeBSD...

Use a real OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Delphi91
    I'd have Linux in there like a shot if I could.

Problem is, we use networked software that's Windows based. It's built around MS Access and even running at its best, its flaky enough. And given the grief that I've had with it over the past number of years, I'd rather not have to tackle it again.

I know about Samba, etc - I have a Linux network setup in another location at work and its brill - replaced Novell with Linux and its much better.

Mike

Most Access databases will have the forms, reports, queries etc on the workstation and the tables on the server. As far as Access is concerned a network drive letter is a network drive letter and it couldn't care less if your server is running 2003 server or Netware 286. The Workgroup Administrator which I presume you are using for Access login also doesn't care about network OS's.

Pat

• Advertisement
Advertisement