Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy...hi-fi stereo FM transmitter?

• 29-02-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

My multichannel provider (Chorus) recently added the BBC radio channels to its standard package. What I'd like to do is get a short-range stereo FM transmitter that would allow me to listen to those channels when I'm out in the garden, etc. I know these devices are available....it's proving difficult to track one down though. All it needs to be able to do is plug in to the phono outputs on the set-top box and broadcast a stereo FM signal somewhere between 88-108 MHz for a range of about 300-400m....anybody out there know where I can get one of these?

JB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The use of a transmitter on those frequencies is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Not if its under 1 watt afaik.
    You could get one of those itrip things it might work.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T7194LL/A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Illegality aside, Ireland Has tonnes of fm bandwith that go's unused, so your not exactly putting anyone out.Also given the **** that is broadcasted for the most part, It dosnt exactly do much harm, when people can get an alternative out.I would you suggest you check out building your transmitter, Its not that easy, but it aint impossible either.The guys who used to do Radio Friendly in galway told me that they got the parts easy enough and paid about 700 bucks for it.Also they used to get sponership from the gpo in return for advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 egom6

The apple store sell 3 types of fm transmitters,I have the iTrip for my ipod but its range would be no more than 10m max.Not sure of the range of the other makes.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I know of a UK site that sells FM low power transmitters, though due to questionable legalities, I won't show the link publically - I will PM you the site URL...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Hope I don't come across as being smart but would a decent set of cordless earphones do the trick? That's if you can plug an earphone jack into the chorus box. It would be a cheaper and less tricky solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

My first few attempts at building an FM transmitter weren't very sucessful.
    Built a 4 watt one which broadcast over the entire FM band and killed radio reception for a quater kilometer in all directions.

Vellman (i think that's how you spell it) are good kit based units.
    SmartKit are crap.

For your're purposes a 1 watt would easily suffice.

Peats used to sell both Vellman and SmartKit.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Lol at the jamming signal tribble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

THe higher the frequency the more obsorbtion that will take place..... due to shorter wave lengths.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

http://www.nrgkitz.com/NRG-FM-Transmitters.html

I've bought a few pieces of equipment from this crowd. They are well known for their reliability in the pirate radio world.. Very clean outputs that won't interfere so long as you have them tuned correctly and keep the audio at a sane level

It's not illegal to posess an fm transmitter afaik, just to operate one without licence.
    Anyway if it is under 5 watts it's unlikely to be a problem due to it's small coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Advertisement