Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan tracking Andy Reid?

• 29-02-2004 2:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

"According to roumers spreading accross Milan fan sites Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti has been so supprised by reportes from players Cafu and Kaká about a young Irish player he phoned the Brazil first team manager to ask him his opinion on the player.

Cafu is said to be so impressed with Andy Reid that wheh he reported back to Milans training complex last thursday he activly sought Carlo Ancelotti out before training started to tell him of the player and recomended an imiadate signing.
    Milan are said to be reviewing fixtured with a view to send Scout and former player Franco Baresi to form an file on the player and submit his personal opinion by the ead of march."

I was sent this e-mail be a friend living in Turin, I don't know how true it is though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Can you remember Robbie Keane though? Sure, there wasn't too much hype about him before Internazionale were interested, but then I think his career went downhill a bit as people expected much more of him than he could give.

Someone like Andy Reid going to the European champions...errr....well, I'd consider it if I was him but he'd have to think realistically. Milan can buy anyone they want (well, most people) remember.

Wouldn't like to see a young Irish chaps career take a hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

From what My mate was saying the approach they would take is buy him and send him back to england on a long term loan for maybe a year or two, and they he woul be a replacment for an older squad player.
    Again, I don't know how true this is, Milan have been linked with 5 strikers and 4 left midfeilders in the last week.

The idea of loaning him back sounds alright I suppose. They have so many stars in their team already though. The italian league is very unforgiving too. I'd just hate to see an Irish international get screwed about in the Italian leagues.

Loan idea sounds like a good move though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Cant imagine this happening. Hes average. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Chucky
    The italian league is very unforgiving too. I'd just hate to see an Irish international get screwed about in the Italian leagues.

Let the dastardly Brits do it instead I say! .

M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well tbh... I don't think that he would end up like Robbie Keane did because he is a midfielder, Robbie is a skillful forward and I don't think that skillful forwards really work in Italy because of the way they defend. It's usually just the out and out goalscorers that work in Italy like Vieri, Ronaldo, Crespo etc.

I think that Andy Reid would prosper from playing Italian football if he is playing in the first team. I think that it would help him as a midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Reid has done ok in a poor Forest team this season but i think people are getting a bit carried away with his talent.

I can see him joining a mid table Premiership team next season - for a winger his crossing is very poor a lot of the time.

Maybe playing with better players will bring his game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Charlton are supposedly interested in him. That'd be a great move, he'd be playing regular football in a top-half PL side under one of the best managers in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Cant imagine this happening. Hes average. Nothing more.

i find the idea of milan signing him hard to believe but hes far from average he should be playing in the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Oh ye I agree, but he is still average. :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Charlton are supposedly interested in him. That'd be a great move, he'd be playing regular football in a top-half PL side under one of the best managers in England.

Good point because Curbishly, along with my favourite, Strachan, are among the best in the British Isles. They both get the best out of players. Most managers in the leagues are just plain old managers with nothing special to offer.

Charlton or Milan????

Charlton I would choose! you'd be well paid in either case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://www.elevenaside.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=10123
    Charlton linked with Reid swoop

Champions League hopefuls Charlton Athletic are keen to make Andy Reid their number one summer priority, according to weekend speculation.

The Addicks are in fifth place following the weekend’s action, just two points behind Newcastle United, who remain the favourites to take the final qualification spot for Champions League action next season.

That position is all the more remarkable considering the fact that they have lost four of the five league games since the departure of Scott Parker to Chelsea for a fee of £10m at the end of January.

If they can regain some of their early-season form, they could yet find themselves in the astonishing position of following Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea into Europe’s premier club competition – and they reportedly want Nottingham Forest’s Irish international Reid to join their ranks in the summer.

The 21-year-old netted his 11th league goal of the season in Forest’s 2-1 victory over Bradford City at the weekend, but he is almost certain to leave for pastures new in the summer, as Forest are mired in debt and are expected to be unable to stand in the way of the skilful Dubliner furthering his career.

Spurs had a £2.5m bid for Reid turned down in January, but Charlton, with the £10m from Parker’s move in the bank, possess the money and – possibly – the prospect of European football to entice the Irishman to the Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Reid is unlikely to move to Italy. He isnt that good, and a move to Charlton is the best he can ever hope for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My mate now reckons that cafu said he was "very impressed by a young Irish midfeilder during my countries friendly international against them".
    My mate has Milan Channel and he says that cafu said during an interview with Studio Milan (main evening programe).

Again, could be my mate winding me up, but it is spreading about the milan-zines and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I didnt even think Reid had a great game against Brazil so i find that Cafu would say that surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

cafu was probably talking about kilbane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Originally posted by Michaelangelo
    Oh ye I agree, but he is still average. :)

I assure you that the lad is not average, I would put him on the same level as Jenas (though a different type of player) shame I will not be seing him play next year as he will be playing some where in the prem :(

So hard being a feeder club :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I hope Kilbane Moves to Milan he has that Latino style of play :)

Kilbane is a pure genious. The way he plays is just so full of confidence....sure he messes up while trying to imitate Diego Maradona but he just bounces right back. classic! an entertainer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Kevin Skillbane for AC Milan!! All the way!! :D

Reid is a promising talent but I can't see him going to Italy. Very unlikely. A move to Charlton would be perfect. They're a solid side with a very competent manager.

And if there was one criticism to be made about Charlton it would be that they lack out-and-out wingers to offer width to their play - Andy Reid would be ideal to provide this for them. I'd say time to get the chequebook out Mr. Curbishley. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement