Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5mbit broadband by mid-2005 ?

• 29-02-2004 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=7057394

I also read about this in an Irish Independent Supplement in September 2002.
    "The government pledged to have 5mb access in homes in 3 years time"

Anyone ready to take bet on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"Users can look forward to broadband speeds of 5mbit/s to the home and business users will have access to "substantially" higher speeds within 10 years to 15 years"

10:1 odds on the world ending by that time.

If a 5mbit connection was not at least the standard in 5 years, I would be very worried about the communications of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

here, here Ireland is a joke when it comes to BB, 5mb by 2005, yeah and everyone will still be complaining why is it more expensive here compared to holland which will have 10mb...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by uteotw
    I also read about this in an Irish Independent Supplement in September 2002.
    "The government pledged to have 5mb access in homes in 3 years time"

Anyone ready to take bet on this ?
    Haha

I haven't read the first link (ENN doesn't work properly for me in Opera but to be honest I'm not mising much)

If you want a further laugh, go looking for Mary O'Rourke speeches from a few years back saying the same thing. And it's in the FF manifesto for the last election. Promising a 5Mps connection for everyone in the State by mid-2005. Keep in mind that most people in the country can't get any sort of broadband whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

I dare to stick my neck out on this one. I think it may happen. I mean DSL is out now and the top speed is 8mbps AFAIK. They already got 3mbps connections in the UK for home use (I read on adslguide.org.uk) and here in Ireland at the moment anyone that can get ADSL can get upto 2mbps (hefty price but). Granted, Mary o rurke is a backstabbing ugly old fat women, but she's no more a major influence to the comms industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by sceptre

I haven't read the first link (ENN doesn't work properly for me in Opera but to be honest I'm not mising much)
    Works fine for me in Opera 7.50 P2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Might be available in 18 month but as JoPC said it will certainly be more expensive than anywhere else in Europe.

btw, http://www.free.fr get you 5.5mbps to your home...
    - 2mbps for BB the rest is for digital tv and phone
    - 100 digital channels
    - free phone all over france and €0.03 (vat inc.) per minute all over the EU, US, Japan, Honk Kong, Australia, NewZeland.

What price you may ask ? €30 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

lets all move to france...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

then we'd have to put up with the French ;)

The major obstacle we face here is not the backbone infrastructure but the last mile and the "closed" exchanges.

Alot of the local loop in ireland is Aluminium wire, instead of copper.
    Afaik Telecom Eireann were given a lot of government money to buy Copper wire (which is required for proper DSL speeds) and someone bought Aluminium instead and pocketed the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

They already got 3mbps connections in the UK for home use

Blueyonder just moved all their 512k customers to 2mb/256 with the option to to 10mb/5mb in the near future. (least i think all)

UK had a few years heard start on us so i wouldnt expect this to be the norm by middle of next year tbh. We can hope of course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Blueyonder just moved all their 512k customers to 2mb/256 with the option to to 10mb/5mb in the near future. (least i think all)
    Uh, got a link to that, perhaps? I know a number of people on blueyonder cable and they certainly don't know anything about being moved to higher bandwidth. It has of course been possible for them to order a bigger line (for more money) for quite a number of months now, but that's not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Rumour rumour rumour, none of the access network is aluminium. Just make up stuff why not. It's all copper as is western europe. alumininium is used in eastern europe only

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Actually, let's move to Japan 40Mbps in DL and 3Mbps in UL

[URL=http://]http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum32/524.htm[/URL]

That's one Divx movie in 2mn. 20s. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

? I know a number of people on blueyonder cable and they certainly don't know anything about being moved to higher bandwidth.

No i dont.. a m8 of mine in London has blueyonder and he was moved to 2mb/256.
    Maybe this is just a trial or something? Ill talk to him.
    alumininium is used in eastern europe only
    You sure? I have friends in slovenia and czech republic and they get better badnwidth than we do. Hell slovenia is even getting vDSL soonish.
    (Suppose you could mean the other Eastern European countries :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

BT are relaying the entire local loop in a few towns that they used aluminium in yonks ago, so that they can provide DSL services. It's not just eastern european telcos that used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MoosemaN

I find it highly unlikely that Ireland will have this connection in 2005. If you concider the quality of the phone lines.

In sweden right now you can get 100mbit straight in to the home in many major cities, cost is 80 euros and it has a 300gb monthly download cap if I remember correctly.

10mbit lan for ~50Euros

You also have a 26mbit Vdsl for 70Euros and 2.5 mbit for 50 Euros..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by MoosemaN
    In sweden right now you can get 100mbit straight in to the home in many major cities, cost is 80 euros and it has a 300gb monthly download cap if I remember correctly.

10mbit lan for ~50Euros

You also have a 26mbit Vdsl for 70Euros and 2.5 mbit for 50 Euros..

i do believe you can also get 155Mbit connections in many cities and suburbs and 10Mbit in most other places as well. for those living in the countryside or a good distance from a big city one has to make do with a slower (in comparison) 2Mbit, 1Mbit or 0.5Mbit connection (or if one is really isolated, then a wireless connection can be made available). i think most of the connections are uncapped, although i have heard some providers bringing in caps as of late particularly for the faster connections.

as for it costing 50 euros, you can get a basic DSL line for 27Euro a month or thereabouts and even cheaper if you share the line with a number of flats if you are in an apartment etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I would be suprised if by mid 2005 we could get a 5mbit line. The way things are going at the moment, probably 2-3mbit max. However, even if we did reach the 5mbit mark, I'm sure those ppl in Eircom would put a really high price over it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im not sure 5mbit broadband my 2005 is the way forward for this country just yet, were now approaching mid 2004 and most of this country still cant get broadband at all, some parts cant even get isdn, even in broadband areas such as the one i live in, there are many many ppl who cant get it because the lines are so bad, before we start getting these super fast broadband speeds its alot more important to get broadband at a penetration level similar to the uk which is around 85% of exchanges, I believe Northern Ireland will have 100% by next year. This is what we want, get the broadband rolled out throughout the country and then think about the super fast 5mbit+ connections. A look at eircoms enabled exchange map shows how bad the situation is for most of the country, while Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Wexford, Cork and Galway have alot of enabled exchanges most other counties in Ireland only have 1 enabled exchange. Its not looking good just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

My money is on 1mbit lines being slightly more widespread, with the lions share still on 512.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Yeah, it might just happen, alright. but watch out for the small print -- contention ration 500:1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i'd much rather see better coverage and availability for broadband to the more remote areas as well as lower prices before even thinking of faster speeds for broadband in Ireland by mid-2005.

the price for a 0.5Mbit connection is ridiculous, if they even brought in a 0.25Mbit connection at 15 or 20 Euro inc. VAT a month that'd be much better and really give broadband takeup a massive boost. i am still on a 56k connection due to the high cost of the new lower priced DSL packages out as of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yey we'll all have 5mbit so we can smash our 16gig caps easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    yey we'll all have 5mbit so we can smash our 16gig caps easily

In 2 Hours as it happens.

M

Advertisement