Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV service

• 27-02-2004 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Do NOT go with UTV if you need decent gaming pings. Simple as that. We've been complaining for months and while there have been symbolic gestures of trying to improve it, it's still terrible. If anything it's gotten worse over the last few months.

Hmmm, I've been with UTV since there first flat rate offering & then switched to Clicksilver. Apart from the the odd problem I've had no real issues with them. I mainly play games (CS, DoD & BF1942 etc) and the pings are grand and a big improvement from ISDN. They are in between 20 & 40 on average and occasionally go to around 60, when this happens I just find a better server. So don't be to quick to dump on UTV for bad pings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Conlai
    They are in between 20 & 40 on average and occasionally go to around 60, when this happens I just find a better server. So don't be to quick to dump on UTV for bad pings.

Nice to hear that . but to be fair you are probably the first I have actually seen posting something like that . Mine are usually about 80 ish in game F6 is between 70 and 100 . This seems to be the same with most of the posts I have read .

John.

PS : whats your setup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

They are in between 20 & 40 on average and occasionally go to around 60, when this happens I just find a better server.
    Where are the servers you get 20-40 based? At its best I get 50(ish) to UK servers and 70(ish) to Irish but like I said, thats at its best. Recently its also been prone to weekend wobblers where its all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They are in between 20 & 40 on average and occasionally go to around 60, when this happens I just find a better server. So don't be to quick to dump on UTV for bad pings.

Yes, please do post the IP of these magical servers (and your setup). I've been with Clicksilver since the first month and have NEVER seen anything below 49ms in HLSW (in-game is at least another 30ms on top of that.) Averages around 90ms usually, with spikes up to 150ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Setup wise is nothing special, am using a the Netgear DG834 router. My system is Athlon XP 2800+ with 512mb of 333mhz ram, a GeForce 4 Ti 4800 SE running on a K7N2 Delta-ILSR board, all in a lovely (and very quiet) Antec Sonata case.
    As for the servers I just use The All-Seeing Eye, pick what game I fancy and then the nearest and fastest server that I can find, normally in the UK.
    I was getting an average of around 90ms on my ISDN before I got ADSL. And I live in Ashtown, not far from the exchange at Cabra Cross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never seen pings like that either, I get about 60-80 to Boards and 50-70 to Jolt on average. It's a wonderful BB service for non-gamers though. Quick, reliable and excellent customer service.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well considering UTV's own tracerts and ping stats show that it takes 30ms to get out of their network, I just don't see how 20-30ms is possible.

But yea, as I said they're excellent for everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

But yea, as I said they're excellent for everything else

Yeah, as long as you don't mind the possibility of not being able to access Hotmail, eBay, post on boards.ie and so on, without using a proxy which might prevent you being able to access your router, and possibly bypass your Firewall.

For these and other examples of UTVs customer service, have a look at the recent 'Proxy' threads relating to NTL and UTV in the Broadband forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

yep... and let's not forget those oh-so-wonderful regular downtime sessions that seem to occur every 2 weeks without notice :rolleyes: :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not denying that it's happening, but for the record: I've seen scheduled downtime for network maintenance - I got notices about it - but I haven't seen much unscheduled downtime, and I'm in front of my computer 12+ hours 7 days a week. I don't use UTV's proxy.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Let me just say, once or twice I've gone over my cap on UTV BB, and I haven't been disconnected or knocked back, the same can't be said for the other providers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Skanger
    Let me just say, once or twice I've gone over my cap on UTV BB, and I haven't been disconnected or knocked back, the same can't be said for the other providers
    Me too, although in fairness eircom aren't doing anything about it either (unless you really go over the limit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Split from this and moved to the broadband forum.

Advertisement