Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a good first time car please?

Options
  • 29-02-2004 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to be getting a car for myself. I have been saving up for years so I have enough to get a new one. The types of cars I am looking at are Volkswagen Lupo or Punto etc. All 1litre cars or thereabouts. Im 20 years old and male from Dublin.

Any suggestions???

Cheers guys.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

German or Jap for reliability, whatever you do don't buy french.

Just my 2 cents worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Yep, agree with Neil

this question came up before not too long ago, have a search for it

but you can't go far wrong with a Micra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Does it have to be a new car Michaelangelo? If so, what are your reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agree as well.

If you're buying new, how long do you plan to keep the car? The answer to that will determine how important residuals are for you. The slowest depreciating car in the Irish Market in the segment is probably the Toyota Yaris, which is also very well built and quite nippy for a 1.0 liter. It generally scores the highest in customer satisfaction surveys compared to any other car in this segment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Contrary to popular belief, puntos (the newer ones) are pretty cool, i still have mine (altho not for long) and ill be sad to see it go. they look the part and are pretty reliable as opposed to the old Fix It Again Tomorrow days.

Great car to learn in, only dont buy brand new, i did and ill regret it forever (still good story to tell the kids how the first car i ever owned was bought brand new!)

Youll get them at pretty reasonable prices with very little mileage, and the engines are easy to look after, only trouble ive had was a checkstrap went on the door resulting in a loud click when it opens (easy to fix, im too lazy) and the back shocks (i hit a pothole which had edges like the Cliffs Of Moher) the body has ZERO and i mean ZERO rust, and takes scrathes and scrapes quite well ie they dont show up so bad.

The silver is the best color by far, its so shiney when you wax it!

anyways, thats my opinion, buy itialian but make sure its 2001 or newer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

I was going to buy a new one but there is not much point I reckon. I will be using it for the next 3 years or so. I may be using it up to 4/5 years but I am not sure. I plan to go to America for a while after college. It would have to be 01 at least. But even second hand Polo's 01 with about 45k miles on the clock are going for 9,500 from car dealers. Pretty expensive for a second hand car. Cheers for the help and keep the ideas coming.

PS: I will not buy French. Too many people are telling me not too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

01 puntos are only 6-9K id sell you mine for 6500 with only 31000 on the clock, its 1242cc (cheap insurance but good engine all newer puntos are fuel injection as standard, but this doesnt effect your insurance!) but im using it as a trade in against a 03 stilo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I bought a new Hyundai Getz last October. 1.1L - had no troubles, done plenty of motorway driving. It's efficient, well built, cheap to run, nice 6 speaker CD player, sunroof, ABS with EBD all as standard. The warranty is one of the best too. I'd strongly recommend you test drive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

I have the chance of getting a Golf 01 1.4l. with 36k miles on the clock for a pretty good deal. I know the person well selling it for 12k and I have test driven it. What ya think? Worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'm biased as I have just bought a golf myself recently. Pretty much the same deal as you as well but for a '00. Judging from the prices the golfs hold their value pretty well and from all accounts are very reliable (well I hope so anyway). I'd go for it if I was you but I spent a long time looking around at various cars. Don't be too hasty, its a lot of money to fork out, make sure you get a car you'll enjoy owning and want to drive.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement