Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies....Whats the deal?

• 29-02-2004 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

After hearing 'Where is my mind' in fight club I thought the pixies might be a great band and I should try and get into them. I bought 'Surfer Rosa' and I can honestly say that it is one of the worst albums I have ever heard!

Their songs are silly and the ones that aren't silly are just bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The deal is you suck. Nah just kidding.

If you're tryna get into the pixies then doolittle was probably the best LP to start off on as it has the most 'anthemic' stuff that everyone seems to know - Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Wave of Mutiliation etc and as such draws you in a lot quicker. Come On Pilgrim whilst excellent and groundbraking does sound a little rough and unpolished by comparison and as such is probably less ear-friendly on the initial listens. All I can say is give it another chance because it (and they) are quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

not a huge fan of them myself i must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

if you didnt like surfer rosa then accept that you'll (probably) never be a pixies fan. try borrowing doolittle off a mate. if you don't like that then proceed no further.

theres no shame in not liking the pixies. personally i think they're great (except for the reforming to support the chilis thing). its just some bands you get, some you don't. i don't see what the big swing about the smashing pumpkins is. the guy can't sing. but other people seem to think they're great and thats fine.

my advice: let the pixies go and try mansun (start with Attack of the Grey Lantern).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gotta agree.

The Pixies are ok, but there isn't enough there to fork out my hard earned buying the albums. I have the 'Greatest Hits' and if some of those songs are the 'greatest' I don't wanna hear the sub-great stuff. Still, one mans meat... etc ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ahh if you don't like the Pixies straight off, you're unlikely to ever change your mind. You might like the odd song but meh... that's not "being a fan". Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Yeah Where us my Mind is a brilliant song but then i heard other pixies songs and they sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The Pixies are one of my favourite bands and surfa rosa is their best album but i would agree their not for everone you have to be slightly fu*ked up to like Black Francis shouting over white noise. Its a matter of opinion i cant stand Mansun doesnt mean their a bad band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

To try the Pixies, I bought "Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim" for less than a tenner. I listened to it for the first time a few months after I first bought it and now it's one of my favourite CDs ever. There simply is no accounting for taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nobby79

The deal is young man, that you are 12 years too late, and by the sounds of it you are now interested in listening to this band because it would be the cool thing to do.If you do not like a band why would you try and force yourself to. The Pixies were the most groundbreaking independent band of the last 20 years. none of their albums are similar in sound. But are all top quality.They would not sound innovative to your ears as their template has been copied badly and consistently by most bands out today, but 15years ago that band upon first listen was so differnt from everything else out around it and so much better anybody who heard them knew they were listening to something special. See you in phoneix park and remember to wear your best Korn t-shirt and have your wallet chained to your loose fit jeans.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Excuse me???

Korn suck. Every nu-metal band suck.
    The only reason I bought the album was because I had almost everything else I wanted at the time. Is this a crime or something?
    You shouldn't have to be around at the time to like a band. I have been perfectly able to acquire tastes for the smiths, the cure, dylan, nirvana, kinks, jeff buckley and loads of people I wasn't really around for. I was just saying that I couldn't get into the pixies because their sound was a little raw and unorthodox. I wasn't doing it to try and be cool or whatever dumbass logic you had there, I had heard that they were an amazing band so I bought an album. Don't be so presumptuous.

• Advertisement

Fair cop Bill, i did presume you were a spotty herbert but thats because you said " i just bought surfer rosa and can honestly say it is one of the worst albums I have ever heard!" That coming from a man with such wide ranging tastes as you have listed surprises me. try listening a few more times before you make a judgment and then get a copy of doolittle. I'm sure having the influences you have these albums will excite even 12 years after the breakup. As for being unorthadox, none of the above bands were orthadox, and as for Nirvana, well Kurt himself said he only started a band because he wanted to make music like the pixies. Keep listening Bill for all shall be revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by nobby79
    The deal is young man, that you are 12 years too late, and by the sounds of it you are now interested in listening to this band because it would be the cool thing to do

horsepiss tbh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by nobby79
    The Pixies were the most groundbreaking independent band of the last 20 years. none of their albums are similar in sound.

A bold statement. One could say the same for a multitude of bands, I'd say the Pixies brought the whole quiet verse/loud chorus formula to the mainstream but there are many bands who broke more ground. They were good, but, like other bands, legend would have us believe they were better than they were ;)

Haha. Yes that old chestnut that is legend, how it tries to dupe us. Such cac. The music speaks for itself. Who would you consider more groundbreaking in the last 20 years. Radiohead? Bowie? REM? Oasis? Sex Pistols? Metallica? Pink Floyd? I think not. Anyway i could care little less. The only reason i replied to the previous posts is because of the "they suck" responses. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

reminder to self: get a copy of some of the Pixies' music.

(I've heard their music, just need to add them to the list of music I need to get)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

yes get doolittle first....surfer rosa doesn't suck after that.
    IMO they were (and still are maybe) the most intelligent band ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

you people sicken me, the pixies are fuppin genius.

joey Santiago and david Lovering are brilliant musicians, they just played really basic stuff that worked so well. i find most people how talk bad about the pixies know nothing about them and just dismiss them because they dont uderstand what they are up to. these are probably the same people who dismiss the ramones cause they play 3/4 chords in a song over and over.

a band like the pixies are so far boyond the other contrived bull**** which passes for great music.

they changed music - no doubt about.

edit/for those who are interested - here is joey's set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Pixies are my favourite band of all time , I wouldnt start off with Surfa Rosa ( even though tis probly my fav album ) as to some people it sounds raw and ameature , try Doolitle. I would say listen to surfa around 10 times , im sure you will get into it ;) most people who have any taste in music end up liking the pixies after prolonged listening

Advertisement