Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Need political graphics for MA thesis

Options
  • 29-02-2004 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi!
    My name is Sibeal & I'm doing a MA thesis on decoding the political graphics of the second Gulf War (also making reference to the first Gulf War & September 11). I need to get examples of pro-war & anti-war graphics to discuss & analyse. I need everything & anything: posters, flyers, army recruitment posters, US, UK, magazine covers & spreads, postcards, placards - from all viewpoints, from any country & by any organisation - everything! I'm doing the usual trawl of books, magazines, websites etc, but you know the story - when you need something it cant be found...
    So if anyone can help me I'd be really grateful. I'm hoping to have this area of research over in a month or so.
    Email address: sibeal(at)criostal.com
    Thanks again!
    Sibeal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Wow, that sounds fascinating. Is it a sort of visual discourse analysis?

Anyway, you might like to contact people at the Irish Anti-War Movement and contact anyone you can from there, especially from the links page, also take a look at Action from Ireland, they produced some pamphlets. You should also make a post on the Irish Irish Indymedia site and see who replies. I think the UCD Students' Union made posters about the war so contact them, too.

I have a few photos of some of the stencil-art around Dublin, some of them anti-war, so if you want those I could send you some scans, if you promise to send me your thesis when you're done ;).

There's tonnes out there as you well know.

Uh, what's the Masters course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sibeal

cool thanks
    Its a MA in Professional Design Practice in DIT Bolton St (its the first year)
    Yeah I'll send it to you - you'll probably have to remind me though its due in Sept.
    Its basically creating a sort of dictionary (I think!) to read propoganda using those images as a case study.. its driving me insane at the mo'
    Yeah - send me the stuff, I'll take whatever is going - just give me your full name n stuff so I can credit you.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That sounds really interesting. A mate of mine did a thesis (FYP really, calling any of them a "thesis" might be a bit generous) study of the media in Gulf War I as part of his undergrad. I'll drop him a note and see if there's anything that might be relevant in there (hopefully he's got a soft copy).

Propaganda's always interested me - I'd imagine Dadakopf won't be the only one hoping for a copy when you're done:D

I'll see what else I can turn up.

Will do.

One other thing... go over to www.creativeireland.com and ask on the boards there. They're way more qualified to help you out there.

Had a look at your course's prospectus there. Could you recommend any good books on prepress and printing technology - an A to Z handbook for the freelancer?

Oh yeah, another idea. You should contact groups representing Arabs living in Ireland and ask them if they have any posters, perhaps even in Arabic.

This link has a good list of NGOS operating in Ireland, including the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign, so contact any of those people, too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement