Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deportivo vs Barcelona [Contains Result]

• 29-02-2004 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

A massive game for both teams really. Depor win and they go 10 points clear of Barca, Barca win though and they're only 4 point behind and breathing down their neck.

Both teams played mid-week so both would be fatigued. Fairly even start, Depor with the better chances early on. About 20 minutes in though, Saviola (I think) was brought down just to the left of the 18 yard box, Xavi whipped in the free and Ronaldinho met it with his head. 1-0 Barcelona.

After the goal, Barca turned on the style. This was the kind of football you expected from FC Barcelona. Neat and tidy passes, and some great runs lead to the second goal for Barca. A wonderful one two between van Bronckhorst and Xavi tore open the Depor defence, Xavi with a ball across Molina and Saviola was there to turn it in for Barca's second. Barcelona were oozing class at this stage and were clearly in control at half time.

The second half brought about changes, Davids off and Motta on and Tristan off and Pandiani on for Depor. Not much time on the clock, Depor caught on the break, Luis Garcia wide open on the right side of the box, crosses to Ronaldinho and it was a simple tap in for his 2nd and Barca's third. At this stage I'm thinking it's all over. Depor had another idea though.

A bad call for offside on Ronaldinho saw Depor break quickl and won a corner. A good cross into the Barca box and Pandiani was in with a great header into the bottom left of Victor Valdes' goal. I think it was Pandiani's first touch. 1-3.

The momentum then swung very much in Depor's favour. They were now the team holding posession and making all the nice passing moves. It wasn't long til they scored again. Another great ball whipped in, poor marking on Barca's behalf and Pandiani was in again with another great header. Valdes was stranded, he had no chance, poor marking by Oleguer allowing Pandiani to get in front of him for the header. 2-3.

Deportivo still had the momentum going forward and were now begining to find more gaps in the Barca defence. With Davids off the pitch they were lacking real tenacity in the mid-field. Cocu limped off and was replaced by Gerard and soon after Gabri replaced Luis Garcia. It was Gabri's first touch in the game that could have sealed it for the visitors. Another break by Barca, nearly identical to their third goal, Ronaldinho passed it out wide to Gabri who hit the ball at the inside post only for Molina to push it wide. It should have been a goal.

Then drama. Around the 75th minute, Valeron got a break and was almost through on goal. Oleguer cynically pulled him back, but he wasn't the last man so he got a yellow. But the ref (the same ref that screwed Valencia over last week against Real Madrid) made a mockery of the game at this point. He then, after talking to his assistant, pulled out the red card and all hell broke lose. Barca players swarmed around him and the other official, it wasn't clear what was going on. I'm not even sure what happened, but Motta (previously booked) was shown the red card. At first the commentators thought it was for over agressive protesting, but Motta wasn't protesting at the time. It seems they mixed the players up. Motta 23 and Oleguer 32 (or vice versa) must have caused confusion and Motta was sent marching. Much protest ensued, with Ronaldinho and a Barca official getting booked. After all the drama fizzled out, Depor hit a weak free kick which Valdes easily gathered.

Barca seemed more determined now they were down to ten men, and had two more good chances to score. Once again Gabri got the ball in a carbon copy situation and lack of confidence saw him only win a corner again. Xavi was also really unlucky. A glorious little chip from the edge of the box with the inside of his foot, saw the ball loop over Molina only to hit the crossbar.
    Depor had chances too, Luque missing an open goal from half a yard out summed up the night of missed chances for them.

Barcelona held on, after 4 minutes of stoppages were played, to win their 7th consecutive game in all competitions. They are the in form side in La Liga, and back to back wins now against Valencia and Deportivo solidfy that status.

Only 4 points behind Deportivo now and they are confident and playing very well. I can only hope they keep this up.

Final score: Deportivo 2 - Barcelona 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Second best game I have ever seen, Valencia vs. Barcelona Champions League Quarter Final first-leg 2000 being the best. Barca's second goal was probably the best team-goal I have ever seen - the Depor lads were completely taken out by the pass from Ronaldinho.

Pandiani really made a difference in the second half - two great headers from him. One question though - how the f*** did Luque miss from 3 yards??? Unbelieveable. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

all i can say is wow!!

sky put on a double header - two great games.

yea, how the funk did luque miss !!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Second best game I have ever seen, Valencia vs. Barcelona Champions League Quarter Final first-leg 2000 being the best. Barca's second goal was probably the best team-goal I have ever seen - the Depor lads were completely taken out by the pass from Ronaldinho.

Pandiani really made a difference in the second half - two great headers from him. One question though - how the f*** did Luque miss from 3 yards??? Unbelieveable. Fantastic game.

Hehe. Do you remember that Barcelona Vs Valencia game in La Liga 2 years ago also. Last game of the season and Barca needed to win I think to get into the Euro Cup. Then Rivaldo scored with that WICKED bicycle kick outside the box. The image of that will never vanish from my mind.

But yeh, Barca are doing superbly at the moment. What happened to Kluivert? I'm glad he's dropped anyway, they relied too much on him just like they did with Rivaldo. There's now a great sense of unity and equal strength in every position. ie no-one thinks they are better than the next.

Best football they've played for 4 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The chest control and bicycle kick were magical alright. Most players wouldn't have hit the ball as well under that pressure if they were facing goal.

If I remember correctly, that was just the third of a hat trick. I think one was an excellent low shot from about 22 yards out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Kluivert is injured at the mo, expected back this weekend for the Mallorca game.....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by johnor
    Kluivert is injured at the mo, expected back this weekend for the Mallorca game.....

is it just me or is kluivert the laziest player in the world??

last time i saw him in person was uefa cup liverpool v barca, and i remember westerveld miskicking the ball and although kluivert was clean through he only sherparded it out for a corner!!

he so lazy!!

Here here!! :) too true. I've always said that Kluivert was a lazy useless sod. He did good at Ajax and then did **** at Milan and he ain't too pretty at Barca.

They should stick with the current formation. Saviola as lone striker with Luis Garcia and Ronaldinho as support.

I've waited a long time to see Barca play well like this! If they manage to hang onto all their current first teamers they should be doing well next season.

Puyol is a god!

Originally posted by Chucky

Puyol is a god!

close enough.... he has a hair cut like jesus anyway!

saviola has lost some form in the last while, but i think ronaldinho was a killer signing for em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

but i think ronaldinho was a killer signing for em!!

This player is a GOD . Utd must regret not paying the money out for him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Here's a video of Luques miss: Howler

And here's a few highlights of the match: Barca

• Advertisement

Thanks for those video links.

I see how he missed it now. Horrendous. I remember I was ready to cry....but that suddenly turned to a huge smile as it he ****ed up the chance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What a game. The best ive seen in a while. What was the story with the sending off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

I've highlights of the Real v Celta Vigo match too: Real

Advertisement