Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quik Pc Question !!

• 29-02-2004 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

3000 Amd 64 not a 3000xp

Whats the difference ???

Anyone explain it for me..

Cheers Appy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

whats the difference between what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3000 amd 64 = 64 bit cpu 800mzh bus speed i think and more onboard memory
    3000 amd xp athlon = 32 bit cpu 400 mzh max bus speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

It'd probably make up the difference in that rig you're trying to sell for 1700. :eek:

But seriously, basically AMD 64 as the name implies is a 64 bit processor, whereas the other is 32 bit. The 64 bit can run 32 bit os's/applications fine, equally as fast if not faster than a normal 32 bit. But it can also run 64 bit os's/applications which gives an even bigger advantage over 32 bit processing. Basically it's just better.

A quick google would have told you all you need to know. :rolleyes:

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

"A quick google would have told you all you need to know."

Aye but usually get a quicker/ better resonse here...

thanks a million question answered !!

"It'd probably make up the difference in that rig you're trying to sell for 1700"

heh he ^^ prob

K so..

Would it be a better rig with the 3000 64 processor in it rather than the one ive in already ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3000_7.html

nothing like a few benchmarks check out the a64 3000+ review here at xbit labs it kinda walks all over the xp3200+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    Would it be a better rig with the 3000 64 processor in it rather than the one ive in already ??

Aye, but would require a mobo change etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Wait till the Athlon64 and Athlon64FX are migrated onto Socket-939 form factor.
    Afaik they'll both support non-ECC dual-channel DDR400 (It's where the 800Mhz FSB comes from) though I've seen rumours of the L2 cache being either 512 or 256KByte.

It's effectively x86 with 64-bit extensions and deeper registers, hence x86-64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea ive heard that they will launch a budget range with 256kb cache but that the normal range will have 512kb/1mb. [edit] L2 cache ;)

Hopefully the opertrons will go down in price after the summer....... would make for an interesting project :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm bizmark was telling me how amd where cutting the l2 cache to 512kb on future 64bit processors, saying that it didn't need it? not sure of article source there

i thought wtf, when the only difference at the moment between the 3000+ and the 3200+ (i think) is the cache and you can see the difference in peformance there alright i don't see how they can justify that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe it will have more L1 cache

• Advertisement
Advertisement