Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Store

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

That's competely taking the piss!
    I think such behaviour should be highlighted via a letter to either The Irish Times or The Independent.*

*Fat lot of good it will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

As far as I can recall this seem to have something to do with the fact that peats own all the sony stores and they can charge whwatever price they want because people are stupid enough to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its just priced wrong on the site, if u actually go into 1 of the stores (or peats) ull see its only €14.99

oh and as a side note, the prices in the sony centre stores are set by sony themselves so any price u see in store is either sonys RRP
    or below it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As far as I can recall this seem to have something to do with the fact that peats own all the sony stores

AFAIK Peats dont all own all the Sony stores. They are franchises and while Peats do operate a lot of them they dont operate them all for instance I dont think they operate the one in Ballsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Went in to the Sony Store in Limerick, and enquired about a 17 Inch LCD Monitor.
    Was quoted €830.
    Went into PC World and enquired about the same monitor. Was quoted €500.
    I finally bought my Sony monitor in Shanghai for €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Anyone who buys in the Sony Centre really deserves to be ripped off.
    A company that charges up to 23% for credit? yeah, that's a good deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Stekelly
    oh and as a side note, the prices in the sony centre stores are set by sony themselves so any price u see in store is either sonys RRP
    or below it.

Really? So how come i've never seen a good deal in a Sony store? Like most people, I just go into the Sony Store to browse, then I buy online. Hell, even *DIXONS* is cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

I wanted to buy a Sony receiver, and walked into the Swords Pavilions shop. It was not in stock so they were going to check the warehouse and call me back. They never did, next day I walked in again, and the sales guy said that the warehouse people were on delivery route and would not be able to check until end of the day.
    Next day, no news (customer service? Do they really work on commission??). Walked in again, pretty annoyed, now they tell me it takes a month because it needs to come from the UK.
    So I ask the 'sales' guy if he can check if any of the other Sony stores have one in stock.
    Then he tells me he cannot do that, I have to call around to all of the Sony stores myself!! Great :(

So I start to call around and the very first Sony Store I try, on O'Connell street, has my receiver in stock, and .... 230 euro cheaper !!!!!!

Be warned, shop around, wonder if Mr. Sony knows about those cowboys who abuse the good name to rip customers off.

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Anyone who buys in the Sony Centre really deserves to be ripped off.
    A company that charges up to 23% for credit? yeah, that's a good deal :rolleyes:

I think you will find that a finance company is being used, and generally they tend to charge interest cos thats they only way to make money wen ur a finance company, plus finance companies tend to charge high rates of interest cos they tend to pass the types of people who may not normally get finance from a bank (y else wud they use a finance company if they could go to their bank and get a decent rate?) . bit off topic but does anyone no what way bloody apr works cos ive seen quotes from finance companies at 23% apr but on a loan of say €1000 u pay back about €130 interest in a year? im confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Stekelly
    bit off topic but does anyone no what way bloody apr works cos ive seen quotes from finance companies at 23% apr but on a loan of say €1000 u pay back about €130 interest in a year? im confused.
    APR is a nominal interest rate and doesn't take account of compounding (& hence doesn't take account of a reducing balance). The Effective Annualised Interest Rate (EAIR, also known as Effective Interest Rate or EIR) does. From the point of view of the lender the EAIR is the annualised internal rate of return of the cash flows of the credit arrangement. A google search for APR and EAIR should give you enough info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by lowlands
    So I ask the 'sales' guy if he can check if any of the other Sony stores have one in stock.
    Then he tells me he cannot do that, I have to call around to all of the Sony stores myself!! Great :(

Seems strange. Maybe a franchise thing. I needed a mini-tripod for my camcorder and asked in the store in the Stephens Green Centre. None there, but the guy was able to tell me there was 1 left in Dun Laoghaire. Not only that, but I paid in Stpehens Green and collected from Dun Laoghaire later! Maybe the 2 stores I refer to are run by the same franchisee?

yeah theres a couple of diff groups, if u ever got a quotation on one of the business card type things it gives a list of the ones in that particular group (have 1 here- Dun Laoire, The Square, O'Connell Str, St Stephens green x 2, Jervis. The rest in Dublin r owned by Hi-Fi corner AFAIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy anything from a Sony store or the Sony site. Speaking from first-hand experience, customer service (or their excuse of) is absolutely disgusting.

It is what it's.

Advertisement