Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB under €40

• 01-03-2004 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hey there, not sure if this has already been posted, but I received a letter on Friday from Esat BT (in fact I received it twice), dated Feb 26th, informing me, that as a "loyal" customer to both IOL BB and Advantage, my IOL BB has been reduced to €39.95 a month, back dated to Feb 1st. That’s even cheaper then Eircoms basic and almost €15 cheaper then the equivalent Eircom one. Did anyone else get this letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

That’s even cheaper then Eircoms basic and almost €15 cheaper then the equivalent Eircom one
    Did they actually say that it was equivalent to the more expensive Eircom one? I wouldn't have thought that they could could sell the 24:1 package at €40. That would be quite a blow to Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so the heat is on for UTV to pull out all the stops and come in under €39.95 with a service equal to their current offering... The suspense is killing me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

thats all iol bb are doing?
    there was another post here about rumours that the iol cap is goin up to 15gb,better contention ratio AND faster spped but like i said rumours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

It would seem typically IOL to chicken out and not offer the higher end package. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an announcement in the morning and double the cap. :dunno:

but seriously if all they are doing to compete with eircom is lower the prices think of how long its gonna be until we get some decent connections over here.
    ffs,theres countries with 10mb lines for a tenner a month and no cap and they havent been around as long as us.

cop on iol/eircom and get this country out of the communications sh*thole its stuck in and stop taking all the money for yourselfs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

tbh every couple months the price goes downa fiver and the cap goes up (or somethign similiar)/

I doubt in these other countries that they had 512/128 witha 4 gig cap then suddenly a 10mbit connection for a tenner a month. (ok i know im being extreme)

Yes ireland are behind but your average users doesnt need a 10mbit connection for legal purposes. Also i doubt that it moved much quicker in other countries (tho it prob started with a higher or no cap)

Dont get me wrong im not happy with the way it is but you cant expect ot to change overnight. People were calling for broadband for around the €30 mark and we are slowly getting there. Once the average/light users come on board, then you'll see larger leaps as the companies will be making more money.

i agree with you totally but i still cant see why broadband is becoming so easily available only now,we were shouting for €30 broadband 3 years ago and we still havent even got it,but what can you do?;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by Garth_Vader
    thats all iol bb are doing?
    there was another post here about rumours that the iol cap is goin up to 15gb,better contention ratio AND faster spped but like i said rumours:)

Iol dont control the speed. They are only reselling eircoms product to res customers. So the speed and content ratio are set by eircom.

They "could" sell the current 24:1 512 pack at lower than 40 and a higher cap and take away from eircom. They'll never completely take away from them though because certain people are gonna get with eircom no matter how much they charge.

Anyway they all should be announcing details today so wait and see I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ^pt^
    It would seem typically IOL to chicken out and not offer the higher end package. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an announcement in the morning and double the cap. :dunno:

Rubbish! Esat relish out-doing Eircom. Wait and see. They can't offer 24:1 contention the second Eircom do, as they're buying it wholesale from them. I bet we'll see it soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They have 2 packages now: IOL Broadband (8GB, 48:1) and IOL Broadband Plus (16GB, 24:1).

There's different charges/month depending on if you get just BB or the bundle.

http://www.iol.ie/bundles/pr_bbplus.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Hey there, not sure if this has already been posted, but I received a letter on Friday from Esat BT (in fact I received it twice), dated Feb 26th, informing me, that as a "loyal" customer to both IOL BB and Advantage, my IOL BB has been reduced to €39.95 a month, back dated to Feb 1st. That’s even cheaper then Eircoms basic and almost €15 cheaper then the equivalent Eircom one. Did anyone else get this letter?

This is nothing new. I signed up to that deal weeks ago it's been on the the IOL website for over a month, it's a bundle package for when you conbine the ESAT Telephoney service and IOL BB. It has been discussed on Boards before.The IOL package is still currently 48:1 as far as I know. According to the rumours a new package/s should be announced this week. Over at the UTV website they have taken down their current offerings and replaced it with a notice saying new packages to be announced this week. I'm sure IOL will have simular deals to UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I take it this means people like Hosting365 will be following suit and offering 24:1 also? I noticed recently that they're not now going with Netsource as their wholesaler....

And what's happening to Esat and Eircom business dsl? I know Eircom have upped the speed to 2mb for the price of 1mb, what about Esat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Cheers didn't see that. thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Well, 16gb and 24:1 package parameters match exactly the package I got from them few months ago, and it was (and still is) 8gb and 48:1... Seeing all the rest parameters match (free Norton Internet Security package, etc) I sure hope that means I'll be automatically upgraded on March 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

we were shouting for €30 broadband 3 years ago and we still havent even got
    We discuss it the night before and suddenly we have a €30 offering :D
    Once the others follow UTV's lead i think we will se the take up of internet accelerate even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Blank Space's

Hi,

I have bb with Ntl & it's only €20 per month @ 600K !!!!!!!!

I think that's very cheap !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Blank

Advertisement