Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband Plus 16GB Cap €47, €39 with telephone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

No mention of what will happen exisitng users. I assume they will go to the plus option with an option to downgrade. Hope the CAP takes effect immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's respectable pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I presumed thats the 512k line. Anyone knows the pricing and d/l cap on the 1mb line?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that is a great offer, i can see a few things happening because of this, most of netsources customers can now happily jump ship back to esat because of the 16gb cap and MUCH cheaper offering, even if Netsource up the cap by another 8/16 megs or so its still bad value really, the €70 or wotever they charge is crazy no matter what the cap is. Also it gives Eircom another cap target for the next upgrade in the next 6 months or so, Eircom prolly will raise home plus to 16gb by Christmas and Esat may retort with an even higher cap after that yet again so atm I see Esats move a very good one for the broadband market here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Arsemonger

This phone thing confuses me.Is it simply a case of IOL billing you for your call charges in a similar vein to UTV doing so when I had a subscription to its flat rate service?

Also what if a customer who,if its possible,upgrades to this 16gb + phone deal doesn't actually use his/her phone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Gonzo
    that is a great offer, i can see a few things happening because of this, most of netsources customers can now happily jump ship back to esat because of the 16gb cap and MUCH cheaper offering, even if Netsource up the cap by another 8/16 megs or so its still bad value really, the €70 or wotever they charge is crazy no matter what the cap is. Also it gives Eircom another cap target for the next upgrade in the next 6 months or so, Eircom prolly will raise home plus to 16gb by Christmas and Esat may retort with an even higher cap after that yet again so atm I see Esats move a very good one for the broadband market here.

Yes, agreed, I'm currently paying EUR66 per month just for Netsource Broadband and the stupid fictious domain name,

For EUR 58 per month I could get IOLBB 48:1, 8GB cap and free local and national phone calls or
    for EUR65 per month I could get IOLBB Plus, 24:1, 16GB Cap and free local and national calls.

Has anybody jumped to IOL yet and have they got the one day quick port transfering setup yet?

Also if you are transfering like this, do you still have to pay EUR90 install?

BBTW how is IOL performing recently (max download, ping etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I presumed thats the 512k line. Anyone knows the pricing and d/l cap on the 1mb line?

iol only resell eircoms radsl not adsl so there will be no 1mbit product

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Arsemonger
    This phone thing confuses me.Is it simply a case of IOL billing you for your call charges in a similar vein to UTV doing so when I had a subscription to its flat rate service?

You can get IOLBB on it's own or with their phone package. They have two phone packages:

Esat Advanatage: they just charge you for your phone calls, but you must spend a minimum of EUR25 per month on calls.

Esat Advantage Plus: you get free local and national calls for EUR25 per month.

Whatever package you go with you still have to pay Eircom line rental, about EUR24 pre month.

Also what if a customer who,if its possible,upgrades to this 16gb + phone deal doesn't actually use his/her phone?

Well if you don't use the phone then don't get the phone deal, just get IOL BB Plus at EUR47, again you still have to pay Eircom line rental.

Originally posted by tuxx
    iol only resell eircoms radsl not adsl so there will be no 1mbit product

Not quiet true, Esat has LLU ADSL in a limited number of exchanges (about 40), they sell 512/256K, 1M/256K and 2M/256K business services from this. They will also need to reduce the prices on these products to remain competitive with Eircom in the business market.

I assume this is what neokenzo was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Not quiet true, Esat has LLU ADSL in a limited number of exchanges (about 40), they sell 512/256K, 1M/256K and 2M/256K business services from this. They will also need to reduce the prices on these products to remain competitive with Eircom in the business market.

Anyone heard anything about these prices yet?
    Considering its now more or less double eircoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Arsemonger

Thanks.In my haste I didn't realise the 16gb package is avaialble without the phone package.

Also.......
    Don’t worry if you are already an IOL Broadband/Esat BT Advantage/Advantage PLUS customer. We will be in contact with you to tell you in detail about the new Broadband rates and better savings which you will be making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

sounds like a sweet offer... must get on to esat so!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

FFS, sweet my ass. Ireland has been brainwashed into thinking these broadband deals are sweet. We're still miles behind the rest of Europe with overpriced, under performing broadband products. Ok, this deal is a hell of a lot better than what's been on offer till now but at the end of the days it's still daylight robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LFCFAN - stay on topic please, the whole 'we're being ripped off' thing has been done to death on other threads. But FYI I think this is a good deal. I have virgin.net 512k dsl which is £27 per month and they're apparently bringing in a 30gb per month cap soon, so considering IOL's best offer is equivalent to £31 I don't think Ireland is lagging *too* far behind in terms of value for money...you have to remember dsl is a very new technology in Ireland, wait for competition to kick in as it has started to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Let's just say it's better than it was... I guess if they were making such upgrades on a monthly basis, we'd soon be up there with all the rest properly broadbanded (is there such a word?! ;) countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

still there isnt much esat can do id imagine their profit margine on this product isnt great

Originally posted by tuxx
    still there isnt much esat can do id imagine their profit margine on this product isnt great

Exactly. Their profit margin on their own business dsl must be massive, but unless you're buying wholesale from Eircom in enormous quantities you won't make much. Which is why they've been tying people in to CPS, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I don't really see any great improvement here for the average user.

Most people do not need a 16GB cap, or 24:1 contention ratio, so the basic package would be more than enough.

The price for this is the same as Eircom, unless you opt for the phone service, and IIRC, that's €25 minimum spend per month. I certainly know that with my mobile, and absence of internet call charges from my bill, I probably would not spend €25 per month on calls.

They haven't made any great ground-breaking changes.

Ro

Originally posted by Ro-76
    Most people do not need a 16GB cap, or 24:1 contention ratio, so the basic package would be more than enough.

'Most' people don't 'need' dsl and are happy on FRIACO products. As I said, these new prices aren't very far off what people are paying in the UK and US.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

about 8 months ago all we had was eircom with a 3gb/4gb cap and esat/utv with a 5gb cap, we now have eircom with a 8gb cap and esat with a 16gb cap, this in my book is a big improvement in one year and very welcome and i think we'll see further improvements in the coming year also. We will get there eventually. 16gb is an average of 500mb a day downloading per month which is plenty for majority of users. My m8 in england also heard that Freeserve may be placing a cap soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by bk

I assume this is what neokenzo was talking about.

Thanks bk. Thats what I meant. At the moment I am with Eircom's 1mb line. I might consider going to Esat if their 1mb is attractive. Thats what I meant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

I have say fareplay to IOL a decent enough cap and a good contention ratio, and as Gonzo said its another target Eircom have to meet the next time around. As for the price i was paying 50 yoyos anyways so 3 yoyos saving, well it ain't a perfect world but it will do :)

Originally posted by Ro-76
    I don't really see any great improvement here for the average user.

Agreed, but UTV's new EUR30 product is a really massive breakthrough, it is at a mass market price and will probably kill of the expensive FRIACO products for people who can get BB (why pay EUR25 for UTV or EUR30 with Eircom/Esat for FRIACO when you can get BB for EUR30).

In fact EUR30 even beats most similiar UK products (with the exemption of the CAP of course).

The price for this is the same as Eircom, unless you opt for the phone service, and IIRC, that's €25 minimum spend per month. I certainly know that with my mobile, and absence of internet call charges from my bill, I probably would not spend €25 per month on calls.

Well, for some people the EUR25 phone service with free local and national calls is great. I'm from Cork living in Dublin and two other of my house mates are from outside Dublin also, so we make a lot of national calls, easily over EUR25, and when it is free, I'm sure we will make even more calls and will probably try to catch people on their landline rather then the mobile in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This sounds like very good news. What are IOL like for getting the job done? ie. getting onto Eirscum to get the adsl line sorted out and stuff like that?

Didnt somepeople have horror stories about how long it had taken them to get BB from IOL?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Umm I'm a little unclear, after reading, about the phone deal works. It says you need to spend a minimum of €25 a month on phone calls - but mentions nothing about line rental charges. So surely the phone itself is going to cost 25 + c22 = €47 a month and then another 40 or so for the 'Net connection? Meaning 87 quid a month which isn't so good (I rarely make calls from the house phone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by ixoy
    It says you need to spend a minimum of €25 a month on phone calls - but mentions nothing about line rental charges
    Unfortunately, for the time being your phone line will always remain the propery of Eircom and you'll pay them for the rental. Hopefully this will be changed in the future.

If you don't make more than €18 of calls a month though, then you don't save any money by getting the phone bundle.

Originally posted by Venom
    This sounds like very good news. What are IOL like for getting the job done? ie. getting onto Eirscum to get the line adsl line sorted out and stuff like that?

Didnt somepeople have horror stories about how long it had taken them to get BB from IOL?

Yes, they are really bad, a couple of people here in work have been waiting since December to get BB off them. Once it is working I believe that it is great, but getting it working in the first place is a nightmare.

In fairness I think all of the providers have had their problems.

I got IOL and had it in in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It says the upgrade is happening on the 8th of March.......does that mean that on the 8th my cap meter will be reset to 0Gb?, or will it keep what I have downloaded for the month....I'd love to smash the 8Gb and then get reconnected on the 8th:D. Deep down though I know it will more then likely not be reset to 0Gb. Does anyone remember what happened when it went from 4 to 8Gb?, did it start from 0 or did it show what you already had downloaded? :confused:, I totally forget. 16Gb much better but I'd like more Esat :D.

• Advertisement

I wonder will it require you to sign for a further 12 months(this appears the route UTV have taken).

Advertisement