Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Powered Car - Insurance

Options
  • 01-03-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone tell me where the best place to get insurance for both of the following

Merc 230 SLK 1997 2.3L
    BMW 323I Convertible 2.5L 1898

Male 32, 4 yrs NCB

Also anyone have any comments on these cars. Reliable, expensive to run, crap....

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Have you tried the big companies like Hibernian, Axa, Quinn Direct etc already? What kind of quotes have you been getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Best quote on Merc is 1672 and opn the BMW is 1487. If I could get the Merc under 1500 I'd be happy enough as I dont want to go about 2000 for Ins and Road tax.

I've found the big guiys in the past quote mad money on cars like this. I'll give one or two a go.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, I always like to check them anyway just to see.

I've always found Axa to be really dear - sometimes thousands dearer than the next dearest quote!

Eagle Star say they don't quote for coupes. I guess they think they are filtering out the flash cars that way, but I think it's not hard to see that the rule they have is a little crude. Not all high performance cars are coupes and not all coupes are high performance cars. Still, that's them.

Have a look at Royal and Sun Alliance's website for a list of brokers. Ring a few of them - you never know.

I got quite a good quote from Hibernian on a high powered car, but the cheapest I've got so far is from Quinn Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Similar enough car (SAAB 900 SE, 2L turbo, conv), same age too. Paying €1450 with AIG, St Pauls will also cover - both via my broker.

Hibernian wanted €1800 this year.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by blazesoftware
    Best quote on Merc is 1672 and opn the BMW is 1487.

Those quotes don't seem to be exorbitant. Just check ALL direct insurers (yellow pages) and also try most of the bigger brokers. The last time I changed insurance was through Frank Glennon which quoted me the least. Although it doesn't make sense that a broker can do it for less than an insurance company directly, but it is a strange and not very transparant market out there ;)

I'm severely restricted, cause very few insurers quote for cars over 2.5 liter

• Advertisement

Borzoi

How do you find the saab. I was looking at this too. It was choice 3 for me. A Saab 900S 2.0I Convertable, 1998.

This was the cheapest I got a quote @ 1048 for me and the missus.

Will call Hibernian now.

Oh and comments on the cars

I like beamers :)

The merc has a bit of a girlie image, if that doesn't deter you, it is a great car. The vast majority of the ones available in Ireland have probably about 3 to 4 k miles per year on them and have never seen the penalty point side of 70mph :)

Cars have excellent build quality and depreciation is almost zero. The 230 (Kompressor) is actually very fast indeed. I take it it is automatic and has full leather? How much are you paying for it?

Maybe a result.

Hibern quoteed 1350 for the Merc and 2000 for the BMW. What a difference. I cant understand how they come up with the prices. Anyhow at least I have it below the 1500 mark.

Unkel - the only downside is its not leather. There are 2 available.
    One is 23,950 - No Leather so I guess its a basic model 1997 44k
    Other is 26,950 - With leather and 1998 has 32k

Actually the 1998 one is sold. Just called them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

try the AA - consistently cheapest for me for the last few years

• Advertisement

Don't make any hasty decisions. For only a couple of k more you can have a 2000 model with leather. The good thing (for you) is that there is no premium for a 230 over a 200. There are a good few around :)

Edit: I would advise against buying non-leather. It will wear and accidents do happen with convertibles ;)

Also it is a "must have" option on this car that people will want when you are re-selling

How do you find the saab. I was looking at this too. It was choice 3 for me. A Saab 900S 2.0I Convertable, 1998.

Apart from the OTT insurance and Tax it's a joy. Mines a 95 (low lmileage 65K) now that I've had 3-1/2 years. Service and maintenance is expensive - talking about €800 annually, from a specilaist garage, though not main dealer. But you'll pay similarly for the other top marques.

The car is great to drive, a little understeer, but generally very forgiving. Loads of power in the turbo. Very comfortable on the long haul too.

For obvious reasons test drive the car in heavy rain (or use a power spray) and with the top down.

I tested the 3 series but found the front side windows weird - but that may have changed, and an odd vibration on the seat belt when the top was down. Never drove the SLK, because I didn't fancy a two seater and it did look very small - I'm 6'2" so many coupes don't suit.

You get a lot more spec in the SAAB than in the equivlent BMW, for a cheaper price too.

Would I buy one again? Yes, in a heartbeat, if I had the cash for a new Viggen!!

Thx Borzoi

unkel: I understand where u are coming from but a few extra K is streching the budget. I was originally want to stuck to under 20K but I really liked the car. That said I havent test driven any of them. Wanted to make sure I could get insurance first.

I havent test driven a car in years. I've been told I should take it for at least a 20 minute run and also get onto a motorway. So that would be an hour for the 3 cars. Should that be an issue with the deal or with a car of that value is it understanable ?

Borzoi - U said try it in ran or run a spray on it. U reckon the dealer will be ok with me talking it to a car wash ?

There is a year Guarantee with all 3

Thanks all again

. So that would be an hour for the 3 cars. Should that be an issue with the deal or with a car of that value is it understanable ?

Borzoi - U said try it in ran or run a spray on it. U reckon the dealer will be ok with me talking it to a car wash ?

Thanks all again

That price of car - take as long as you want, mind you you'll probably not need 20mins on them all.

If it's a dealer as opposed to private sale and you're getting a guarantee I would be less worried, but I'd still water check the car you do buy, or sit in it while the dealer sprays you with water:D

BTW most soft tops can't be used in regular car washes as the machinery uses a metal detection system as guidance, and there isn't enogh in the frame of the hood to guide them. So get used to power sprays and hand washing.

Under normal useage a softtop shouldn't leak at all, however when washing you can sometimes force a little water in if you point the nozzle the wrong way. ie spray the car in the same way it would get rain spray only.

Advertisement