Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV prices E29 and E45

• 01-03-2004 1:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UTV have introduced the first sub EUR30 BB product :)

The details are as so:

CLICKSILVER
    Install: €99
    Monthly: €29.99
    Support: Lo-Call
    Cap: 8GB
    Modem: FREE^

CLICKSILVER PLUS
    Install: €99
    Monthly: €45.00
    Support: Lo-Call
    Cap: 16GB
    Modem: FREE^

^ Supplied free of charge for the duration of subscription period

You must take UTV CPS phone with either products.

Details here: http://www.utvclicksilver.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

F***ing sweeeeeeeet

it's just a pity i still have to pay eircon line rental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

This is sweet pricing.
    45a month for what i currently paying ns 66 for. Have to wait and see what they off now but it begining to look like i be moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

so do current users have a choice between which one to take or do we still pay our 47e for our dsl line with 8 gig cap

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Ryaner
    This is sweet pricing.
    45a month for what i currently paying ns 66 for. Have to wait and see what they off now but it begining to look like i be moving.
    I assume you're a fellow Netsource user then? This looks good, doesn't it? I assume the 16GB cap here is both download AND upload? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Has anyone rang Netsource to cancel yet because of these great new deals?, wondering do they have anything in the pipeline themselves.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

very cool. its a pity its still useless to gamers. If they sorted out their ping problems it would be the best service in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Has anyone rang Netsource to cancel yet because of these great new deals?, wondering do they have anything in the pipeline themselves.
    I'll definitely wait to see what they offer first before I ring up and cancel. There are supposed to have something on the way alright. They have to really.

anyone know contention rate - can't see it on the site

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by MrPinK
    I'll definitely wait to see what they offer first before I ring up and cancel. There are supposed to have something on the way alright. They have to really.

Do or die time for NS. I'm a NS customer myself, but if they don't get rid of the stupid domain thing and reduce their prices, I'm walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by jank
    so do current users have a choice between which one to take or do we still pay our 47e for our dsl line with 8 gig cap

AFAIK, we'll still pay the €47 unless you change it. If you go to the My Account page here: http://www.utvclicksilver.com/

and then go to "New Services" you can choose one or the other. Your contract will be extended by 12 months, and the new charge will apply from April 1st.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by egan007
    anyone know contention rate - can't see it on the site
    48:1 for the cheap packages and 24:1 for the dearer ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Just rang ns there. She was saying they'll know bit later today the final prices. It looks like a 1mb line (uncapped/ no domain) for 89+vat. Aint so bad. That would mean that soho goes to sme (ie upcapped). Now I have to decide do I really need a 1mb line. Ponder ponder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Just upgraded to CS Plus. For me, it's a no-brainer - always been a happy UTV user, not a gamer, and now I'll be paying 2.50 less for 16GB cap and 24:1 contention. OK, I'm locked in for another 12 months, so if some amazing WISP miraculously appears in my neighbourhood before then, I'll just have to wait - but that's OK with me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just rang ns there. She was saying they'll know bit later today the final prices. It looks like a 1mb line (uncapped/ no domain) for 89+vat. Aint so bad. That would mean that soho goes to sme (ie upcapped). Now I have to decide do I really need a 1mb line. Ponder ponder

That is s**t, I'll definitely be jumping so, thrust me 99% of people really don't need 1m, I mean think about it, how often do you really use the maximum bandwidth, usually you use minimum bandwidth and only the odd time do you really use max bandwidth (when downloading ISO's etc.) it isn't really worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Well done UTV. Decent competition at last. Just changed to the cheaper clicksilver, very simple took 2 mins.
    Happy Days:D

48:1 for the cheap packages and 24:1 for the dearer ones

what's eircoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

contention rate:what exactly is it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gahh! With Netsource currently. My requirements:
    1) Around 16GB a month cap - more if possible, but can live with 16GB.
    2) Can live with 512K connection
    3) Not a gamer, so pings don't affect me.

... So this would all seem great BUT I'm in a rented appartment and not sure how long I'll be here :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So the NS product is getting more expensive? That aint cool at all. That upgrade for the same cost of the current SoHo package would be nice tho :D

Hmm still more expensive than eircom, 16gb is liveable with...well going to give them until friday, if nothing concrete by then time to go to eircom or esat.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by powerhousedan
    contention rate:what exactly is it?
    A contention ratio of 48:1 means that, for every 48 customers on the 512k product, they only have to provide 512k of bandwidth. (potentially shared between all 48 users).

In theory, it means that you could find yourself with speeds that are even lower than dialup. In practice, it doesn't appear to have caused too may problems so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

The only thing that turns me off a bit (might be wrong) is, that in the past with UTV you could share the line in the house between two or more rooms, and use it at the same time... according to the new FAQ`s that`s not possible anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I use my line in 2 place,but two computers are never used at the same time,so not running up the bandwit.but just lettin ya no it is still possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

what is the contention rate at the mo on clicksilver
    48:1 or 24:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maybe there's more than just you in the house??

Originally posted by Venom
    So the NS product is getting more expensive? That aint cool at all. That upgrade for the same cost of the current SoHo package would be nice tho :D
    No, it's not a SOHO upgrade. Netsource can't change the speed of SOHO, it's set by Eircom. The SME and Premier are the resold Eircom ADSL which have just doubled in speed, which is why they in turn have doubled in speed.

Originally posted by dsab
    The only thing that turns me off a bit (might be wrong) is, that in the past with UTV you could share the line in the house between two or more rooms, and use it at the same time... according to the new FAQ`s that`s not possible anymore...

While the modem they supply you with only supports one computer, there is nothing stopping you buying a DSL Router and connecting as many computers as you like or alternatively use Internet Connection Sharing ICS (uck!!). And also there is no way that they can know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

I called them just now and they told me that in order to sign up for their Broadband service - I MUST change over telephone call service to them as well.

This is a bummer as their charges are higher than my current telephone service for most calls.

They did say I can continue to use my SMC router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No, it's not a SOHO upgrade. Netsource can't change the speed of SOHO, it's set by Eircom. The SME and Premier are the resold Eircom ADSL which have just doubled in speed, which is why they in turn have doubled in speed.

I know that. But what if there were to upgrade your package from the current SoHo package to something better? Dunno if this would cause disruption tho.

Hmm still more expensive than eircom, 16gb is liveable with...well going to give them until friday, if nothing concrete by then time to go to eircom or esat.

Longfeild dont you need to give NS 2 months notice to leave them and go to another ISP?

• Advertisement

Yep, but will make a decision by Friday as to what i'm going to do.

Advertisement