Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV prices E29 and E45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Venom
    I know that. But what if there were to upgrade your package from the current SoHo package to something better? Dunno if this would cause disruption tho
    They've already moved everyone over to the 24:1 contention. The only other thing they can do is up the cap, which I don't think they will because of the problems they've had in the past, or drop the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by chill
    I called them just now and they told me that in order to sign up for their Broadband service - I MUST change over telephone call service to them as well.

This is a bummer as their charges are higher than my current telephone service for most calls.

This is thier version the netsource domain thingy.

While they might have cheapers calls then eircon, they are still about 50% dear then my current telephony supplier.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    This is thier version the netsource domain thingy.
    hmm.. so do IOL have a similar restriction ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yes but you can dial a prefix I think which allows you to use whatever carrier you want as far as I know. Thats how your CPS provider gets all the calls charged through.

Feel free to correct anything above if its all nonsense, mind you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by chill
    hmm.. so do IOL have a similar restriction ?

Yes and no, you can get IOL's products either bundled or unbundled with their telephone service.

IOL Broadband:
    Monthly Unbunbled: EUR39
    Monthly Bunbled: EUR33.15 (plus EUR25 for phone)

IOL Broadband Plus:
    Monthly Unbunbled: EUR47
    Monthly Bunbled: EUR39.95 (plus EUR25 for phone)

The EUR25 gives you free local and national phone calls, great value IMHO, but not for everyone, it depends on how much you use the phone.

If you don't want the calls just go for the unbundled product, and you can continue to be ripped off by Eircom for phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeh the ESAT 33.15 bundled package is very good, especially if you make a lot of calls, better than the UTV one if you take pings into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭KILLER.BEE

well done all at UTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Ok lot of ns stuff in here - mod may wanna move it?

NS said to me about the meg line. They also said that the soho would prob be uncapped and that there would be a lower soho price (with cap still)
    They hadnt finished there prices or details when I rang again so best to let them decide and tell people.

Anyone know how much of the NS stuff is actually resold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

hurrah to the first sub €30 BB & all but extending contract by another 12 months makes me :mad:

I wonder if, once you've made your decision as to which product you'll take, if it's possible to migrate between the two. I never download more than 8gb a month now anyway so I reckon I'll take the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dsab
    The only thing that turns me off a bit (might be wrong) is, that in the past with UTV you could share the line in the house between two or more rooms, and use it at the same time... according to the new FAQ`s that`s not possible anymore...
    It's not "supported", but then, it never was. It's just as "possible" as it ever was.

(I presume that this means UTV are still giving out a crappy USB only modem, then? I'd rather pay IOL the extra €3.15 a month for a decent ethernet modem).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by rymus

I wonder if, once you've made your decision as to which product you'll take, if it's possible to migrate between the two. I never download more than 8gb a month now anyway so I reckon I'll take the cheaper option.

I'd imagine upgrading will be free but Malcolm has said that downgrading will cost EUR30 after the initial few weeks.

This is because Eircom wholesale charge UTV nothing for upgrading but they charge UTV EUR25 Excl VAT for downgrading. Which UTV will pass on, which is fair enough IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I'd rather pay IOL the extra €3.15 a month for a decent ethernet modem

Kinda like comfort modem rental :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by bk

The EUR25 gives you free local and national phone calls, great value IMHO, but not for everyone, it depends on how much you use the phone.

Well thats if you bundle with Advantage Plus, standard Advantage costs the same (€25), but thats a min fee, comprising of local, national and mobile calls. So even if you make €25 worth of mobile calls, this would cover the min charge.

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Kinda like comfort modem rental :p
    Hardly - it would cost me €100 to get a decent ethernet modem so that I could plug the router I already have in. At €3.15 extra a month, it'd take 3 years before I'd have paid for a modem.

With "comfort rental" you pay for awhole phone every 4 or 5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

Originally posted by jank
    so do current users have a choice between which one to take or do we still pay our 47e for our dsl line with 8 gig cap

Hi,

Yes, you can choose which one to take. Log into your online billing account and then select "NEW PACKAGES" at the left hand side. You'll see all the details of both packages at the right including the terms and conditions.

Package changes for existing customers will take effect on the 1st April.

Regards,

Originally posted by dsab
    The only thing that turns me off a bit (might be wrong) is, that in the past with UTV you could share the line in the house between two or more rooms, and use it at the same time... according to the new FAQ`s that`s not possible anymore...

Hi,

As another poster said, this is still possible, but we obviously can't provide tech support for local area networking at your premises. There is no technical reason why you can't share the broadband connection on a LAN.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just signed up....subject to survey etc.!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by Paul-UTVI
    we obviously can't provide tech support for local area networking at your premises

That's understandable given the current situation with regard to using proxies etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Nice One UTV !!

At last a sub 30 euro decent broadband product. I noticed UTV is now cheap down South than up North :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

AT LAST A BIT OF DECENT COMPETTION!!!

Just as a side note I rang NS just there and they told me they would be releasing new prices this week for SOHO. I dont think they realise whats going on..Caught them off guard i think i.e. UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just as a matter of interest did Netsource happen to mention that they will be charging a disconnection fee of €75 if you want to disconnect from them and go to a considerably cheaper provider like UTV/IOL (even God help me, Eircom).

Does UTV charge a disconnection fee (for instance somebody moving houses or just giving up on BB altogether?).

Originally posted by machalla
    Just as a matter of interest did Netsource happen to mention that they will be charging a disconnection fee of €75 if you want to disconnect from them and go to a considerably cheaper provider like UTV/IOL (even God help me, Eircom).

Not in my contract, so once I give them two months notice they can kiss me good bye. If they think otherwise I'll be happy to meet them in the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

yes i looked up my T&c's and not a mention of it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    Just as a side note I rang NS just there and they told me they would be releasing new prices this week for SOHO. I dont think they realise whats going on..Caught them off guard i think i.e. UTV.
    Important side note! They should firstly drop the f*cking domain name. And then knock down the monthly price. I'd be moving for sure EXCEPT that I cannot guarantee a one year contract as I'm in rented premises. Netsource's quarterly rolling payments suited me better. Even so it's almost worth the risk - there's a signifcant difference with the new prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

My contract has
    5.1 Disconnection Charge

A €150 disconnection charge will apply to DSL (business broadband) service cancellations

There new charges are meant to be alot cheaper. 1Meg upcapped at 89+vat no domain. They wont confirm anything tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

PAUL_UTVI stated: Yes, you can choose which one to take. Log into your online billing account and then select "NEW PACKAGES" at the left hand side. You'll see all the details of both packages at the right including the terms and conditions.
    What he conveniently forgot to mention was that UTV are insisting that existing Customers sign up for an additional 12 months (i.e. to at least 1st April 2005! in order to switch.

This is unfair, unreasonable and is not even being attempted by Eircom (who gave all users an automatic upgrade with the option to downgrage at no charge.)

Cop yourselves on UTV!

Originally posted by iano
    This is unfair, unreasonable and is not even being attempted by Eircom (who gave all users an automatic upgrade with the option to downgrage at no charge.)

Cop yourselves on UTV!
    Copy yourself on. An eircom customer who downgrades will be paying €120 a year more than a UTV customer who downgrades. That's 4 whole months extra rental in a year! UTV can only offer this sort of pricing because they are making sure that each customer at least covers his or her own "up front costs". Why should the 90% of UTV customers who will be perfectly happy to sign up for a new 12 month contract pay for the upfront cost of anyone else?

If you want eircoms terms and conditions, pay eircoms prices. Your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Well said Ripwave !! :)

Originally posted by iano
    What he conveniently forgot to mention was that UTV are insisting that existing Customers sign up for an additional 12 months (i.e. to at least 1st April 2005! in order to switch.

It's in very plain English on the migration page, plus you have to change the option from No to Yes to agree to it to proceed. I don't think that's hiding anything?

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

if a new customer signs up to utv is it a 12 month contract and if so how much do they charge if you disconnect before the 12 months are up. I've read through the t&c but I see nothing mentioning it there.

Advertisement