Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win xp corruption

Options
  • 01-03-2004 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

yesterday morning I booted my pc & got the error that the Hal.dll file was deleted or corrupted, so I thought I'd bung in my xp pro cd to repair the file....worst luck, it tried to reinstall XP but then failed, it would continue to reboot itself over & over....
    so I've had to install win2k & then a fresh install of xp pro...now my problem is that when i boot my pc it asks me to choose what os I want the fresh copy or the corrupt copy, does anyone know how to get rid of the corrupt one (both are sitting on the C: partition) & all my shortcuts & start icons have gone missing & loads of them won't even load????

I don't think it was a virus has my antivirus was up to date & I had a decent firewall on at all times :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well the boot list comes from the boot.ini file in the C:\ directory

You can edit it by : Control Panel > system > Advanced > Startup and Recovery

You can just delete the previous winxp folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Who is this HAL, anyway??

Does anybody know if System Restore Points include dll files? If they do, thats probably your best bet to restoring the file without losing your personal data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

cheers bazh I'll try it tonight, in regards to the system restore when I installed the fresh copy of xp it didn't have any previous restores, & the corrupt copy wouldn'y let me boot into windows ....it just hung at the error message

Advertisement