Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relatively cheap multi region DVD player?

Options
  • 01-03-2004 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone aware of a reasonably priced multi region player that is fairly good quality? I think progressive scan is a good idea, right? I was hoping to get something for under a hundred around South Dublin.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Uhm, Powerpoint, Black Diamond, etc are multi region and usually under the ton.

Samsung are multi region by using the remote control hack.

Pioneers are usually multiregion (check with shop first, as it can depend on supplier).

Sony/JVC/Panasonic need to be internally modified, though Amazon.co.uk sell them "chipped" to be multiregion. ;)

I'm using a Powerpoint DVD Player atm, available for under 100 euro, and it's pretty good (for the price).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks Byte, that helps. I assume the remote hack is easy and not too risky if I go that route?
    As I am a lazy bastidge, I was wondering if anyone picked up a player recently anywhere that fits the bill and was worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I bought the Toshiba 330 on amazon.co.uk a few months ago. Was GBP80.00 back then and the toal after shipping was EUR150. Excellent player and came multi-region. You wont get progressive scan at this price range. Maybe in the future. Anyway you need a suitable screen/tv to take the progressive scan signal.

Price has come down again.

They also have a couple of players around the GBP35 mark which are also multi-region.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by iwb
    Thanks Byte, that helps. I assume the remote hack is easy and not too risky if I go that route?
    As I am a lazy bastidge, I was wondering if anyone picked up a player recently anywhere that fits the bill and was worth the money.

Nah, the remote hack works fine on the current standard Samsung DVD player. The Powerpoint DVD player is regionfree out of the box. I think a player called Ronin is Region free too.

Do check out Amazon though, as there are some good prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by byte

Do check out Amazon though, as there are some good prices there.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but if you know somebody in the US, Amazon.com do a multi-region player for $39 (or if you are going on holidays, get it delivered to the hotel - a friend of mine did it without problem).

It's the Coby DVD-218, it also plays MP3's, Kodak Photo CDs (who uses them anymore?) and it will even play a normal CD with Jpegs on them. It is dual voltage and works on PAL (European) TV's also. The blurb says it is region 1, but I have been doing a bit of digging and apparantley it is multi-region.

I got one and it's the business.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Powercity were doing a black diamond multi-region for €70 a while back; mp3, vcd, =/- rw compatible, good machine.

Thanks John R, after reading your post I called Power City. They still have them there for €70 and I am going to get that one tomorrow.
    It's great to be able to come here and get help with this kind of thing.

Advertisement